Genioplasty Question

G

Gage

Iron
What type of genioplasty focuses on symmetry rather than bringing the chin further forward and how much would it cost?

• +1
Reactions: Lev Peshkov
  • +1
Reactions: Gage

Attachments

• IMG_E1135.JPG
    IMG_E1135.JPG
    107.5 KB · Views: 33
  • So Sad
Reactions: hairyballscel
While there are segmented genioplasties for extreme asymmetries, yours doesn’t appear to be that severe. Just a regular genioplasty with repositioning and a little bit of recontouring with a bone burr will correct your asymmetry by about 90%.

A custom implant is also a great option for more control.

• +1
Reactions: Deleted member 7560 and Danish_Retard
While there are segmented genioplasties for extreme asymmetries, yours doesn’t appear to be that severe. Just a regular genioplasty with repositioning and a little bit of recontouring with a bone burr will correct your asymmetry by about 90%.

A custom implant is also a great option for more control.
Would Implants move around under the skin? how much would a genioplasty for this cost? Thanks for your response

Would Implants move around under the skin? how much would a genioplasty for this cost? Thanks for your response

No they will not move because they are not just under the skin. There are several layers to the bone: Skin, Fat, Muscle, Periosteum. Implants are placed directly on the bone under the tight periosteum. Ideally they are fixated with titanium mini screws.

It depends where you are in the world or will go for surgery. But in USD about $3,000-6,000 depending on surgeon.

• +1
Reactions: Gage
What are your thoughts on bone resorption?

Its minimal in a screw fixated implant, even less on the smaller Custom implants Used just to correct asymmetry.

There is small relapse in osteotomies, too.

elaborate?

Yes osteotomies have a small amount of relapse some of which is dependent on how stable the fixation is and some of which has to do with bone remodeling because of the pressure exerted by the soft tissue envelope. In very large genioplasties there is some resorption of the pogonion

the imprint from a chin implant is not true bone erosion as bone erosion would have no end point.

Both the relapse from osteotomies and implant settling from implants are temporary.

Yes osteotomies have a small amount of relapse some of which is dependent on how stable the fixation is and some of which has to do with bone remodeling because of the pressure exerted by the soft tissue envelope. In very large genioplasties there is some resorption of the pogonion

the imprint from a chin implant is not true bone erosion as bone erosion would have no end point.

Both the relapse from osteotomies and implant settling from implants are temporary.

so what exactly does that relapse look like in practice?

so what exactly does that relapse look like in practice?

Normal amount of relapse is imperceptible, just like normal amount of implant settling.

Should not worry about either.

Normal amount of relapse is imperceptible, just like normal amount of implant settling.

Should not worry about either.

What's actually happening anatomically though? I don't understand how relapse is supposed to happen with osteotomies at all tbh.

What's actually happening anatomically though? I don't understand how relapse is supposed to happen with osteotomies at all tbh.

Tightness from muscles and skin pulling back... yes, they are able to move the plates and screws and also remodel the bone in the front.

• +1
Reactions: RealSurgerymax and ifyouwannabemylover
Tightness from muscles and skin pulling back... yes, they are able to move the plates and screws and also remodel the bone in the front.

That makes sense I guess. How common is that though?

So isnt mewing legit then?

• JFL
Reactions: ifyouwannabemylover
So isnt mewing legit then?

I'm pretty sure it's about submental muscles attached to the chin bone pulling the bone back and possibly causing relapse (especially when you do big advancements I'd assume...)

0a802f43-0380-4fd6-86b0-5abce50981ae_1.10dd10b29241dd71d89c130f43b92e73.jpeg

• +1
Reactions: Darkstrand and lasthope
I'm pretty sure it's about submental muscles attached to the chin bone pulling the bone back and possibly causing relapse (especially when you do big advancements I'd assume...)

0a802f43-0380-4fd6-86b0-5abce50981ae_1.10dd10b29241dd71d89c130f43b92e73.jpeg

Combination of this and soft tissue envelope over it

The kind that involves your chin