Getting a software engineering job at 17?

Adamsmith12345

Adamsmith12345

FACE HEIGHT STATUS NT FRAME
I've been coding for hours every day on personal projects since i was 12. I meet all of the requirements for an entry level position in the specific CS niche that I'm working in. (Reverse engineering/Windows security)

Only problem is, I haven't graduated High school or entered college yet; I have the experience but not the credentials. How tf do i convince these people to give me a job???

Fuck this educational system, man, school is just wasting my time and making me wait

Last edited:
  • JFL
  • +1
  • Love it
Reactions: Deleted member 15854, Growth Plate and Deleted member 16474
Just apply to a startup or something similar, they are more accepting of people without much experience in the labor field or try to do jobs as a freelancer

these tryhard chinks nerdcels are my competition @Latebloomer10
this is why i can’t even get an internship

• JFL
  • +1
Reactions: Deleted member 15854, Growth Plate, looksmaxmax and 2 others
Lie on your resume simple

• +1
Reactions: Deleted member 15854 and Alt Number 3
I have to perfect anwser for you :

"Let me work for you 1 week for free to proove you i'm ready for this job"
100% they will accept

You can add 1 more week or whatever, they'll notice you're determined, you'll give them a fucking present by 1 or 2 week free and it's fucking it

• +1
Reactions: Deleted member 15854 and Deleted member 16474
tell them that you have experience and practiced it since 12 and ask them to give you a test
if you pass the test then most likely you will get the job

my friend had similar experience, no education but company recognized that he is skilled in that field with passing the test

• +1
Reactions: Growth Plate and Alt Number 3
i've been coding day and night since i was 8 years old it's my passion😊
😊

• JFL
Reactions: Deleted member 15854, Growth Plate and Copeful
I've been coding for hours every day on personal projects since i was 12. I meet all of the requirements for an entry level position in the specific CS niche that I'm working in. (Reverse engineering/Windows security)

Only problem is, I haven't graduated High school or entered college yet; I have the experience but not the credentials. How tf do i convince these people to give me a job???

Fuck this educational system, man, school is just wasting my time and making me wait
The nice thing about a degree is that it's a signal. It gives employers a quick check of competency. It's also an easy way to network and find internships.

However, the nice thing about CS careers in general is that they are one of the only career paths that do not need you to have a degree, as there are different signals you can use outside a degree.

This is mainly because of the ability to showcase your portfolio and experience via github, etc.

Most other careers, such as finance for example, don't really have any way of showcasing skills, as a big part of the job is client facing and requires soft skills.

Your best bet is to setup a portfolio, mainly through github and a portfolio website, and have a really strong and professionally written resume that is properly formatted.

The website/github will be your main front to showcase your skills via the projects you have made.

While 17 may still be a bit young, give it some time, you can also focus on creating a LinkedIn account and cold calling/connecting with people there.

Your main goal now should be to get whatever kind of experience you can, maybe try to freelance some website development or get a gig at a small company that needs a web developer (or literally any other CS job), etc., just to throw on your resume, on top of your portfolio.

• +1
Reactions: Deleted member 12413, Deleted member 14392, Deleted member 15854 and 4 others
The nice thing about a degree is that it's a signal. It gives employers a quick check of competency. It's also an easy way to network and find internships.

However, the nice thing about CS careers in general is that they are one of the only career paths that do not need you to have a degree, as there are different signals you can use outside a degree.

This is mainly because of the ability to showcase your portfolio and experience via github, etc.

Most other careers, such as finance for example, don't really have any way of showcasing skills, as a big part of the job is client facing and requires soft skills.

Your best bet is to setup a portfolio, mainly through github and a portfolio website, and have a really strong and professionally written resume that is properly formatted.

The website/github will be your main front to showcase your skills via the projects you have made.

While 17 may still be a bit young, give it some time, you can also focus on creating a LinkedIn account and cold calling/connecting with people there.

Your main goal now should be to get whatever kind of experience you can, maybe try to freelance some website development or get a gig at a small company that needs a web developer (or literally any other CS job), etc., just to throw on your resume, on top of your portfolio.
Mirin iqmaxxer

Do freelance jobs for now, its hard to get a tech job untill you will be 18.

im not one of those tryhard yuppie ricecels, im more of an antisocial aspie chinkcel.

tryhard yuppie chinkcels are motivated by profit only, and they have decent soft skills. They tend to go into app development/quant trading/ML/DeFi. Most of their programming outside of work is competitive programming/leetcode.

Aspie chinkcels like me code for fun, and are super anti-social. I have almost 0 networking skills, and most of my time is spent on project-based work rather than competitive programming. I'm not even interested in software engineering; my CS niche is RE/Operating systems.

You most likely aren't even in the same field as me, so don't worry.

If you want to avoid competing with tryhard chinks, then just choose a super undersaturated niche such as kernel development or embedded systems.

Last edited:
  • +1
Reactions: Deleted member 3828 and Deleted member 15854
i literally got 72 github folllowers when i was 14, but i havent posted anything since i was 15.

i could easily push to 250+ if i posted my current projects

• +1
Reactions: Growth Plate

rn im kind of in a bind, because i planned to register an llc for my side hustle and present it as work experience, but its failing miserably :(

Are you taking accelerated math and cs courses in highschool too?

• +1
Reactions: Growth Plate
im not one of those tryhard yuppie ricecels, im more of an antisocial aspie chinkcel.

tryhard yuppie chinkcels are motivated by profit only, and they have decent soft skills. They tend to go into app development/quant trading/ML/DeFi. Most of their programming outside of work is competitive programming/leetcode.

Aspie chinkcels like me code for fun, and are super anti-social. I have almost 0 networking skills, and most of my time is spent on project-based work rather than competitive programming. I'm not even interested in software engineering; my CS niche is RE/Operating systems.

You most likely aren't even in the same field as me, so don't worry.

If you want to avoid competing with tryhard chinks, then just choose a super undersaturated niche such as kernel development or embedded systems.
Thoughts on DeFi at the moment, as the 2nd largest crypto exchange just collapsed, alongside Luna, Celsius, 3 arrows capital and OpenSea trading volume is 99 % down compared to the all-time high?

Many more to fall pretty soon btw.

how did you learn coding? mirin, as long as you can provide value to the company, i dont see why they wouldnt hire you. id go for a self learned person over a college bot also as that demonstrates true passion and discipline

• +1
Reactions: Adamsmith12345
i want to start self learning hacking, thats why i ask, perhaps you know of good educational resources

rn im kind of in a bind, because i planned to register an llc for my side hustle and present it as work experience, but its failing miserably :(
That won't do you much good. You don't need to setup a business to showcase your experience in CS.

Also recruiters generally don't take experience from self-owned businesses much seriously, especially if you are young/in school, it's seen as a cop out and taken with much skepticism.

Like I said, focus on finding whatever relevant job experience you can (which will be difficult considering your age for the time being) and building a strong portfolio website/github, and network as much as you can.

• +1
Reactions: Adamsmith12345
Like I said, focus on finding whatever relevant job experience you can (which will be difficult considering your age for the time being) and building a strong portfolio website/github, and network as much as you can.

im on this site and you actually think im able to talk to people IRL? i cant network, so i have 2 plans to get my foot in the door:

plan A:

1. release projects publicly
2. Right after high school, apply for internships that are looking for college students
3. try to work my way up the company/use that internship as work experience

plan B:

1. continue working on my failing side hustle and write it off as work experience
2. release projects publicly
3. Right after high school, apply for internships that are looking for college studnets
4. try to work my way up the company/use that internship as more work experience

For both plans, I'll be going on the path to college until I get a job

i want to start self learning hacking, thats why i ask, perhaps you know of good educational resources

hacking is really general, you must choose a cybersecurity sub-field such as web exploitation, binary exploitation/RE, malware development, etc.

• +1
Reactions: Deleted member 15854