Has anyone here tried byphasic sleeping?

Prettyboy

Prettyboy

Kraken
Like let’s say 4-5 sleep cycles worth of sleep during nighttime and then another one as an early aftertoon siesta

1*K0WKqSAlz2TM4yyh_3b0iw.jpeg

This of course assumes you have some downtime during the day, eg. in college

I have tried it out before but failed because I just couldn’t make myself sleep during daytime even with melatonin tablets

The scientific research seems to be very mixed between being in favour and against polyphasic sleeping. Some attribute benefits to it while others discredit it.

I think it’s also worth noting there are historical examples of byphasic sleep being the norm in some places - like in the middle age, when many people slept it two phases with a break in between them
https://www.bbc.com/future/article/20220107-the-lost-medieval-habit-of-biphasic-sleep

• +1
Reactions: Lmao
RBCs start eating each other in the absence of protein after 5 hours apparently.
That being said, 8-9 hours will always be optimal.
Perhaps a 5 hour sleeping window followed by another 3 later on could work.
Funnily enough I did try this, but like you, I had absolutely no chance of falling asleep before 9pm, let alone 1pm.
Entirely out of the question for me though, I have to be working during all of my waking hours (own business, brick and mortar stuff), so I couldn’t mess with that.

Like let’s say 4-5 sleep cycles worth of sleep during nighttime and then another one as an early aftertoon siesta

1*K0WKqSAlz2TM4yyh_3b0iw.jpeg

This of course assumes you have some downtime during the day, eg. in college

I have tried it out before but failed because I just couldn’t make myself sleep during daytime even with melatonin tablets

The scientific research seems to be very mixed between being in favour and against polyphasic sleeping. Some attribute benefits to it while others discredit it.

I think it’s also worth noting there are historical examples of byphasic sleep being the norm in some places - like in the middle age, when many people slept it two phases with a break in between them
https://www.bbc.com/future/article/20220107-the-lost-medieval-habit-of-biphasic-sleep
I have previously tried biphasic sleep for some months in college and it worked for me. The schedule was different from the one you suggest as I went to sleep at 10:30 pm, woke up at 2 am, worked between 2 to 5 am, and went back to sleep for 3 more hours. It can work well but you really have to adjust it to your cycles. With my Oura ring I could track them and knew with a certain accuracy the time the alarm should go off. If you mess up the timings you wake up groggy and it is honestly not worth it. Of course it depends a great deal on your sleeping particularities. In my case I woke up at 2 am restored because I get to a deep sleep stage pretty quickly and stay there for 1 hour easily, and then sleeping between 2 to 5 am helped me get some decent REM. I believe getting fast to a deep sleep phase is the reason why I can now sleep 6 hours a day and feel as a normie that sleeps the regular 8 hours.

In Spain siesta is/was widely popular. I come from a family of landowners and they have always gone to sleep for about 1.5 hours after lunch since it is when the sun is more intense. Up to this day my relatives still follow this routine and they do just fine.

• +1
Reactions: ๕ඞChick3ncu1ry
there are SNPs which are correlated with fragmented sleep

like the 4 hour only mutation, if you don't have these it probably won't be worth it; you won't benefit

Biphasic
I do this unintentionally about 4 days a week. I have to sleep on my side due to sleep apnea. But sleeping on my side causes shoulder pain some nights, and I end up waking a couple hours early, then I do stuff for 2-6 hours, then I sleep for another 2 hours. I can only do this because I am retired, I would not do it if I could avoid it, it fucks with REM sleep.

In Mexico it is common for workers to be given a 2 hour lunch break so they can take a nap. But that is likely because of the oppressive midday heat. Mexicans living in the US do not do that.

Yes, i also tried polyphasic, even the extreme one like Uberman. Imo it fucks your hormones very hard. My libido was literally 0 and it fucks your social life very hard. I did this in uni (my student apartment was a few minutes away from my campus so it was doable) but it had no benefit for me, except that I had lucid dreams almost every time.

Best imo and according to most science is monophasic sleep. 6-8h depending.

• +1
Reactions: Deleted member 25667
8pm-12am then 4am-8am for me