Help me with a DIY vitamin C spray I'm making please

T

theanonymousone

Bronze
Hi

I have been using a vitamin C and MSM spray lately but I need some feedback on it.

All I do is put distilled water in a cup and add vitamin C and MSM powder to it. I use maybe about 1 1/4 cups of distilled water, and then put maybe half a teaspoon of vitamin C (L-ascorbic acid) powder and MSM powder in it. I shake it until it seems like it's mixed, and shake it well every time I use it, and just spray that on my face.

My question is would this actually have any benefit? What sort of concentration should I be going for with vitamin C? I read that the concentration needs to be between like 10-20% or something to promote collagen production.

And the MSM? That should penetrate the skin too right?

Also, so I don't have to make another thread, what concentration should I spray on my scalp for hair loss? I've heard good things about topical vitamin C for hair loss, but never really knew how to easily deliver it, and this seems as easy as you can get. Should I adjust the mixture until it stings a little bit?

Any thoughts?

I can't speak for MSM as I've never dealt with or looked into it, but in terms of the vitamin C, after the first few uses (I'm being generous), the vitamin C will do shit all.

Ascorbic acid is notoriously unstable- especially in water. If you wanted the spray to do anything, you'd need to make it fresh each time.

• +1
Reactions: theanonymousone
Google how to make a vitamin c serum solution there’s a guide on reddit

• +1
Reactions: Lorsss and theanonymousone
I can't speak for MSM as I've never dealt with or looked into it, but in terms of the vitamin C, after the first few uses (I'm being generous), the vitamin C will do shit all.

Ascorbic acid is notoriously unstable- especially in water. If you wanted the spray to do anything, you'd need to make it fresh each time.

Damn, I guess I could buy a little glass spray bottle and make just enough for a few sprays then every day.

Also I got the 10-20% mixture thing for collagen from a DIY vitamin C post on reddit, I tried to make it awhile ago and tested it with PH strips but it just didn't work, it was too acidic, and if I added enough water to lower the PH it would have been a much lower concentration than was required.

You’re suppose to injest MSM and Vitamin C, not apply topically :feelsuhh: (unless you mix the Vitamin C with E and feurlic acid).

• +1
Damn, I guess I could buy a little glass spray bottle and make just enough for a few sprays then every day.
Your best best would probably be to mix it into a serum or moisturiser that you're already using (again, make it fresh each use). But if you're absolutely devoted to the spray idea then it's up to you.
it was too acidic, and if I added enough water to lower the PH
Total nitpick, but if you added water to something that was acidic, it would raise the pH, not lower it.

You’re suppose to injest MSM and Vitamin C, not apply topically :feelsuhh: (unless you mix the Vitamin C with E and feurlic acid).
You can absolutely apply just vitamin C topically. It just works best (when used as a photoprotectant) when combined with vitamin E and ferulic acid.

• +1
Your best best would probably be to mix it into a serum or moisturiser that you're already using (again, make it fresh each use). But if you're absolutely devoted to the spray idea then it's up to you.

Total nitpick, but if you added water to something that was acidic, it would raise the pH, not lower it.

You can absolutely apply just vitamin C topically. It just works best (when used as a photoprotectant) when combined with vitamin E and ferulic acid.

Thanks

Hmm, I guess that's a much better idea, so maybe something like glycerin? I saw this "vegetable glycerin" for skincare or something I wanted to use but wasn't sure if it'd mix (I can't use aloe vera gel because it makes my face red and hot).

Also I do take both MSM and vitamin C internally.

EDIT: I just read the description of the glycerin product and it says

Solution: Pure Vegetable Glycerine is an outstanding moisturizer and skin cleanser that also provides softening and lubricating benefits. It's hypoallergenic and easily soluble in water, making it suitable for use in all of your favorite cosmetic applications. Pure Vegetable Glycerine has a long shelf life and does not easily oxidize. It is a natural product derived from Non-GMO palm oil or vegetable oil.

So this makes me think it's not going to work if glycerin is water-soluble, then what's the point, I might as well just skip the glycerin and use only water and vitamin C? Unless it makes it easier to stay and absorb on my face instead of rolling off like the water does.

Last edited:
Hmm, I guess that's a much better idea, so maybe something like glycerin? I saw this "vegetable glycerin" for skincare or something I wanted to use but wasn't sure if it'd mix (I can't use aloe vera gel because it makes my face red and hot).
Whats your routine at the moment? If you're already using a moisturiser you can almost certainly mix it with that.

• +1
Whats your routine at the moment? If you're already using a moisturiser you can almost certainly mix it with that.

Well before I shower, I smear coconut oil all over my face, wat for maybe 30 minutes or whatever, then I cleanse in the shower with a gentle foaming cleanser with salicylic acid, then I use the spray thingy I mentioned (which I won't use anymore), then at night I rinse my face and use a hyaluronic acid serum, let that sink in, then use a vitamin C cream (store bought, not my own). The vitamin C cream isn't a high concentration though I'm not sure it will do anything which is why I wanted to supplement it with my own.

Well before I shower, I smear coconut oil all over my face, wat for maybe 30 minutes or whatever, then I cleanse in the shower with a gentle foaming cleanser with salicylic acid, then I use the spray thingy I mentioned (which I won't use anymore), then at night I rinse my face and use hyaluronic acid, let that sink in, then use a vitamin C cream (store bought, not my own). The vitamin C cream isn't a high concentration though I'm not sure it will do anything which is why I wanted to supplement it with my own.
You could quite easily mix the vitamin C powder into the hyaluronic acid- not sure if you'd want to move the hyaluronic to the morning in that case? Again, mix it with each use, not all at once.
Side note more out of curiosity than anything: do you not use any form of moisturiser or hydrating product during the day?

• +1
You could quite easily mix the vitamin C powder into the hyaluronic acid- not sure if you'd want to move the hyaluronic to the morning in that case? Again, mix it with each use, not all at once.
Side note more out of curiosity than anything: do you not use any form of moisturiser or hydrating product during the day?

I never thought of that lol that should work good

Actually no I really don't use anything like that, I have some rosewater facial spray with other stuff in it which is pretty nice, and technically it's a moisturizer, but I forgot to use it for a long time

I never thought of that lol that should work good

Actually no I really don't use anything like that, I have some rosewater facial spray with other stuff in it which is pretty nice, and technically it's a moisturizer, but I forgot to use it for a long time
Hope it works out okay for you.
Fair enough- if it works for you then keep going. And is it by any chance the Mario Badescu Facial Spray with Aloe, Herbs and Rosewater?

• +1
Hope it works out okay for you.
Fair enough- if it works for you then keep going. And is it by any chance the Mario Badescu Facial Spray with Aloe, Herbs and Rosewater?

Thanks

It's "Rosewater facial spray with rose oil, aloe, herbs and hyaluronic acid", by Reviva, it's cheap and it's lasted a LOOOOOONG time. I haven't used it much but it only takes a bit so it would have been a great value anyway.

So you think that the MSM in the spray bottle with water is ok then? Since it doesn't go bad nearly as fast as vitamin C?

• +1
Reactions: benignice
Obviously, but I don’t see why you wouldn’t just opt for the best option.