High IQ users needed! GTFIH!

CopeAndRope

CopeAndRope

Maxillophiliac
The bones highlighted in green are affected by the expanding action of the MSE.

The MSE will provide a lateral expansion, while a sagittal(forward) expansion will be provided by the facepuller connected to the special hooks of the MSE.

My dilemma is the speed of the lateral expansion. I want to fully involve the bones around the maxilla, and I'm not sure if I should expand 1mm per day(fast) or 1mm every 3 days(slow). I fear that if I go too fast, the maxilla bone will be just pressed against the zygos without forcing them to move out. And I also fear that if I expand too slow, the zygos will simply reorganize around the newly expanded maxilla and they'll not be pushed out as expected.

This specific thing was never studied, no one can't really give me an answer. Not even my ortho. So, I'm asking you to help me come logically to a solution. Which way should I choose, and why?

• +1
  • Love it
Reactions: TylerDurden, IWantToMax, Deleted member 685 and 2 others
I tried but gave up on the second line ngl

• +1
  • JFL
  • So Sad
Reactions: TylerDurden, Deleted member 502, Zeta ascended and 9 others
1mm per day(fast) or 1mm every 3 days(slow)
how are either of these an option? seems like such fast movement will cause damage to the bones

Faster expansion is always favored for skeletal changes at least in Dr. Mew's work. To be on the safe side I would go for faster expansion, your theory for faster expansion not working is less plausible than the one for slower expansion. If you want my opinion on the physics of it, I think either way it shouldn't make a difference, you are expanding a bone on which another is anchored. If I understand MSE correctly only the maxillary suture is being separated during the treatment.

Why your theory of slower expansion not working is more plausible:
According to wolff's "law" a bone will adapt to RESIST the forces imposed on it, but this law doesn't apply in all cases, such as a constant force being applied without time for adaption. This is why forward pull headgears work even though according to Wolff they would have the opposite effect than the one intended. If you want to direct the growth or reshaping of a bone, give it as little time as you can to adapt.

Think of Wolff's law like building a muscle, it gets stronger to adapt to the force you apply on it, growing in the opposite direction of the force. This physic is how bonesmashing works. (Hypothetically. I have some evidence to support bonesmashing having an effect at any age besides swelling, but I'm not 100% sold on it yet) MSE, mewing, braces, etc. are OVERTRAINING the muscle, it will remodel to cave into the forces, it doesn't have a chance to go in the opposite direction IE the muscle breaks down too much or for too long to grow larger.

Last edited:
  • +1
Reactions: the next o'pry, oldcell, Dino Hamciaren and 6 others
If 3 per day is too slow and 1 per day is too fast then isn’t it obvious you should just do 2 per day?

• Hmm...
  • Woah
Reactions: Luke LLL and Deleted member 3702
Go slow first to try it out and track progress. If you go too fast and end up fucking up your bite good luck on recovery.

• +1
Reactions: Kade
you'll prob get TMJ if you go fast

• +1
Reactions: Effortless
Even if you go slow (1mm in 3 days) it is way to fast for your bones especially for the maxilla. It takes years for the maxilla to grow fully and properly. There is a reason for this. To speed this entire years of mm growing in like a couple of days is INSANE. Let alone go with your fast method.

You will fuck up your bones in the midface and your teeth and zygos might become asymmetrical. Also your face muscles will not be able to keep up, so I'm pretty sure that a couple of them will pop off and tear.

Best case scenario if you do this anyway = You will face pain and asymmetry but it can be fixed by doctors and your muscles arent teared apart to such an extent that they can still be repaired, you will live a normal life but will still somewhat look off. Also TMJ is to happen for sure

Worst case scenario = Your face muscles will rip off, resulting in them never being able to come back to where they used to be, resulting in you not being able to properly talk/eat things, your face will look somewhat deformed and you will experience chronical pain on your maxilla.

how are either of these an option? seems like such fast movement will cause damage to the bones
Even if you go slow (1mm in 3 days) it is way to fast for your bones especially for the maxilla. It takes years for the maxilla to grow fully and properly. There is a reason for this. To speed this entire years of mm growing in like a couple of days is INSANE. Let alone go with your fast method.

You will fuck up your bones in the midface and your teeth and zygos might become asymmetrical. Also your face muscles will not be able to keep up, so I'm pretty sure that a couple of them will pop off and tear.

Best case scenario if you do this anyway = You will face pain and asymmetry but it can be fixed by doctors and your muscles arent teared apart to such an extent that they can still be repaired, you will live a normal life but will still somewhat look off. Also TMJ is to happen for sure

Worst case scenario = Your face muscles will rip off, resulting in them never being able to come back to where they used to be, resulting in you not being able to properly talk/eat things, your face will look somewhat deformed and you will experience chronical pain on your maxilla.
Pretty sure he's talking about turns with the key in the appliance, not millimeters per day.

• JFL
Reactions: OOGABOOGA and Deleted member 470
I don't understand why your orthodontist can't give you their recommended rate of expansion. Typically, the rule of thumb is that the quicker the bone adapts to a force, the less likely it is to maintain the adaptation, and vice versa. This is why in kids where the maxilla and mandible are still in their earlier stages in development, rapid expansion is more commonly used because the force redirects the growth pattern, where as in the adults it has nothing to work in tandem with, so a slower rate of expansion is more common. This is nearly common knowledge, but only your orthodontist can quantitatively decide the rate at which expansion is best for you. Also, as you mentioned the face puller only affects the maxilla(for the most part at least) in the sagittal plane, while the MSE affects it the transverse plane so the forces aren't acting against each other at all. Either way, if you haven't already I would definitely talk to your orthodontist about this.

Pretty sure he's talking about turns with the key in the appliance, not millimeters per day.
At 21 what would you think would be a good rate of turns for someone that has a palate expander?
Also, would it be possible to wear an MSE appliance after undergoing palate expansion?

I don't understand why your orthodontist can't give you their recommended rate of expansion. Typically, the rule of thumb is that the quicker the bone adapts to a force, the less likely it is to maintain the adaptation, and vice versa. This is why in kids where the maxilla and mandible are still in their earlier stages in development, rapid expansion is more commonly used because the force redirects the growth pattern, where as in the adults it has nothing to work in tandem with, so a slower rate of expansion is more common. This is nearly common knowledge, but only your orthodontist can quantitatively decide the rate at which expansion is best for you. Also, as you mentioned the face puller only affects the maxilla(for the most part at least) in the sagittal plane, while the MSE affects it the transverse plane so the forces aren't acting against each other at all. Either way, if you haven't already I would definitely talk to your orthodontist about this.
What about maxilla expansion in teens? I’m 16 I’ve been mewing and thumb pulling and I notice subtle changes (no placebo I’ve been doing this for 6 months) and experience pain in cheekbones when applying lots of force for extended periods of time. Sadly I think my maxilla is already developed but say I were to make this device would it be more efficient and safe on a 16 year old or no.

• JFL
Reactions: Deleted member 685
lol looking for high iq people and posting here

• +1
Reactions: Wincel
Yes, I meant turns per day, not mm.
My recommended is 1 turn per day, but this doesn't keep in consideration what I want to achieve. Optimal displacement of the surrounding bones.

Sorry, I meant 1 turn per day, for a total of 90 days and 12mm of expansion. Ronald Ead had more or less this expansion at this pace and got a slightly wider expansion on his left side. So probably to avoid that, which is more important, I'm gonna do 1 turn every 3 days which will be 270 days in total, 9 months.
Faster expansion is always favored for skeletal changes at least in Dr. Mew's work. To be on the safe side I would go for faster expansion, your theory for faster expansion not working is less plausible than the one for slower expansion. If you want my opinion on the physics of it, I think either way it shouldn't make a difference, you are expanding a bone on which another is anchored. If I understand MSE correctly only the maxillary suture is being separated during the treatment.

According to wolff's "law" a bone will adapt to RESIST the forces imposed on it, but this law doesn't apply in all cases, such as a constant force being applied without time for adaption. This is why forward pull headgears work even though according to Wolff they would have the opposite effect than the one intended. If you want to direct the growth or reshaping of a bone, give it as little time as you can to adapt.

Think of Wolff's law like building a muscle, it gets stronger to adapt to the force you apply on it, growing in the opposite direction of the force. This physic is how bonesmashing works. (Hypothetically. I have some evidence to support bonesmashing having an effect at any age besides swelling, but I'm not 100% sold on it yet) MSE, mewing, braces, etc. are OVERTRAINING the muscle, it will remodel to cave into the forces, it doesn't have a chance to go in the opposite direction IE the muscle breaks down too much or for too long to grow larger.
Ronald Ead had 84 turns in 86 days and reported a slight asymmetry on his left side. That could be because his bone density was slightly different in each sides and reacted differently to the force.

I want to get rid of my asymmetries with the mse and fp, not getting new ones, so I think I'm gonna go for the slow route.

Last edited:
  • +1
Reactions: Administrator and Wincel
At 21 what would you think would be a good rate of turns for someone that has a palate expander?
Also, would it be possible to wear an MSE appliance after undergoing palate expansion?
Ask your provider about that one, if you're just buying/building one and supervising yourself, it depends on how much expansion per turn. 1mm/week is the limit if I remember correctly, and without putting screws in your maxilla you will probably need to be pretty close to that limit if you want to split the suture.

Yeah you should still be able to get MSE, don't see why it can't be done after other treatments. If you mean using MSE then keeping it screwed into your maxilla after expansion with MSE, I don't see why not but I'm not your orthodontist.
What about maxilla expansion in teens? I’m 16 I’ve been mewing and thumb pulling and I notice subtle changes (no placebo I’ve been doing this for 6 months) and experience pain in cheekbones when applying lots of force for extended periods of time. Sadly I think my maxilla is already developed but say I were to make this device would it be more efficient and safe on a 16 year old or no.
Well I don't think you would want to do traditional MSE yourself, you would have to be pretty steady with that drill when installing it. (You need to have 4 screws drilled into your maxilla with MSE.) It wont matter if you are already developed or not, fortunately we can just reopen a suture after it closes and get expansion at any age. You could use a palate expander that doesn't involve screws and it would be more efficient and effective than thumb pulling but you need to do fast expansion and hope this splits your suture open without the use of screws. You might've already split your suture with thumb pulling but I have no reason to believe thumb pulling is that effective beyond some wild anecdotes.

Last edited:
And I also fear that if I expand too slow, the zygos will simply reorganize around the newly expanded maxilla and they'll not be pushed out as expected.
Elaborate please.

Someone aware on the mechanism of mandibular growth after maxillary expansion cause I just cant see it happening.

Yes, I meant turns per day, not mm.

My recommended is 1 turn per day, but this doesn't keep in consideration what I want to achieve. Optimal displacement of the surrounding bones.

Sorry, I meant 1 turn per day, for a total of 90 days and 12mm of expansion. Ronald Ead had more or less this expansion at this pace and got a slightly wider expansion on his left side. So probably to avoid that, which is more important, I'm gonna do 1 turn every 3 days which will be 270 days in total, 9 months.

Ronald Ead had 84 turns in 86 days and reported a slight asymmetry on his left side. That could be because his bone density was slightly different in each sides and reacted differently to the force.

I want to get rid of my asymmetries with the mse and fp, not getting new ones, so I think I'm gonna go for the slow route.
I’ve been thinking about this a lot too. My face already has some asymmetry mainly from my maxilla/zygos. My left side is like a mm or two lower than my right in terms of pupil, the bone under the eye, zygo etc. when I saw Ron’s asymmetrical expansion I was encouraged by it because I figure if my teeth go further over to the left like his did that would mean a correction(to some degree) of the difference I currently have. Although that’s definitely best case and for all I know it could end up worse. Also idk how the mandible is supposed to grow laterally so I’m hoping to combine with mandibular DO. If that’s unnecessary pls explain why. In terms of speed I think it’s best to go 1 turn per day like recommended until you split the suture so that the bones won’t be able to strengthen enough to resist it(I’ve read that not everyone gets the split). After this point it’s more smooth sailing so I would slow it down and focus on using it as a catalyst for improved movement via the facepuller.

Elaborate please.
There's this thing that the body has, called homeostasis where it basically strives to keeps a constant equilibrium. If your temperatures lower, your body will try to raise it, if you move your teeth and don't use a retainer, your body will try to move them back. So my hypothesis is that if I expand to slow, the body will find a way to let the maxilla expand, but keep the other bones in their place as much as possible.

I’ve been thinking about this a lot too. My face already has some asymmetry mainly from my maxilla/zygos. My left side is like a mm or two lower than my right in terms of pupil, the bone under the eye, zygo etc. when I saw Ron’s asymmetrical expansion I was encouraged by it because I figure if my teeth go further over to the left like his did that would mean a correction(to some degree) of the difference I currently have. Although that’s definitely best case and for all I know it could end up worse. Also idk how the mandible is supposed to grow laterally so I’m hoping to combine with mandibular DO. If that’s unnecessary pls explain why. In terms of speed I think it’s best to go 1 turn per day like recommended until you split the suture so that the bones won’t be able to strengthen enough to resist it(I’ve read that not everyone gets the split). After this point it’s more smooth sailing so I would slow it down and focus on using it as a catalyst for improved movement via the facepuller.
My suture will be split by day 1 with a corticopuncture. So I can start slowly from the beginning. On the same day, I'm gonna get the MSDO for the lower jaw. I personally recommend it.

• +1
Reactions: SayNoToRotting
There's this thing that the body has, called homeostasis where it basically strives to keeps a constant equilibrium. If your temperatures lower, your body will try to raise it, if you move your teeth and don't use a retainer, your body will try to move them back. So my hypothesis is that if I expand to slow, the body will find a way to let the maxilla expand, but keep the other bones in their place as much as possible.

My suture will be split by day 1 with a corticopuncture. So I can start slowly from the beginning. On the same day, I'm gonna get the MSDO for the lower jaw. I personally recommend it.
Boy, I am just about to publish a thread about a horrible realization I made mere minutes ago.

Turns out rapid palatal expansion is actually far better for skeletal changes than slow:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5484271/

I must have massively misinterpreted something I have read a few months ago. I can't believe this happened.

Since you and mew are boys maybe you could ask him the question about expansion speed?

The bones highlighted in green are affected by the expanding action of the MSE.
View attachment 162854
The MSE will provide a lateral expansion, while a sagittal(forward) expansion will be provided by the facepuller connected to the special hooks of the MSE.
View attachment 162882
My dilemma is the speed of the lateral expansion. I want to fully involve the bones around the maxilla, and I'm not sure if I should expand 1mm per day(fast) or 1mm every 3 days(slow). I fear that if I go too fast, the maxilla bone will be just pressed against the zygos without forcing them to move out. And I also fear that if I expand too slow, the zygos will simply reorganize around the newly expanded maxilla and they'll not be pushed out as expected.

This specific thing was never studied, no one can't really give me an answer. Not even my ortho. So, I'm asking you to help me come logically to a solution. Which way should I choose, and why?
IMO always go slow with bones, and tbh even the slow one is fast

Boy, I am just about to publish a thread about a horrible realization I made mere minutes ago.

Turns out rapid palatal expansion is actually far better for skeletal changes than slow:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5484271/

I must have massively misinterpreted something I have read a few months ago. I can't believe this happened.
Do you mean fast mse or do you think slow mse is fast enough?

If it has to be fast you could use the C&R facepuller at the greatest force bearable for as much time as possible and then switch to more of a maintenance regimen. I’m getting out of coding bootcamp around the new year and hoping to get mse started then. I’ll be at home mostly while doing my job search so I could probably pull like 20+hours/day while expanding.

Last edited:
Someone aware on the mechanism of mandibular growth after maxillary expansion cause I just cant see it happening.
You're right, it doesn't grow. As long as you hold it in propper alignment with the teeth touching it will adapt and come forward, but the mandible itself doesn't really change.

You're right, it doesn't grow. As long as you hold it in propper alignment with the teeth touching it will adapt and come forward, but the mandible itself doesn't really change.
Does that mean teeth moving to adapt within the mandible vs the whole mandible changing shape?

Does that mean teeth moving to adapt within the mandible vs the whole mandible changing shape?
Nothing in the mandible teeth or otherwise are going to change dramatically, you will just adapt to holding your mandible in whatever position you hold it in. If you always make sure your molars are in contact, and your upper molars move forward, your mandible will adapt to being held in the new forward position to match the upper jaw. This can definitely be taken too far where hyper-extension of the mandible leads to TMJ syndrome. Your mandible will likely not change shape.

Nothing in the mandible teeth or otherwise are going to change dramatically, you will just adapt to holding your mandible in whatever position you hold it in. If you always make sure your molars are in contact, and your upper molars move forward, your mandible will adapt to being held in the new forward position to match the upper jaw. This can definitely be taken too far where hyper-extension of the mandible leads to TMJ syndrome. Your mandible will likely not change shape.
What’s your stance on doing mse/fp with or without imdo assuming significant expansion of 10+mm?

Not one word.

What’s your stance on doing mse/fp with or without imdo assuming significant expansion of 10+mm?
I only care about looks, not the breathing benefits and all that. I honestly don't think most people need 10mm of expansion. Completely case-based. If you think you need it go right ahead but stop when it starts doing more harm to your looks than good. IMDO is perfectly fine, and most would benefit from fp.
Not one word.

• +1
Reactions: kota
jfl if your zygos don't reorganzie themselves, do gh while expanding and before getting the surgery, dont over think this 1mm per day is fine so one turn in morning and at night

Can something like this achieve the same results as LF1 surgery? Or maybe 70% of what LF1 can achieve?

Can something like this achieve the same results as LF1 surgery? Or maybe 70% of what LF1 can achieve?
300% of what LF1 can achieve but it takes time. A lefort 1 doesn't effect the zygos at all, pretty lame operation IMO. I wouldn't get it unless my midface was very recessed compared to the rest of my face, the majority of people don't have this problem, they have overall recession which needs more movement.

• +1
Reactions: kota
It can achieve 50% of what Lefort 3 can achieve.

The mse+fp forces involve all the bones a lefort 3 would move.
92282f_6749a581803047dbadf34613a49fdb40~mv2.jpg

• +1
Reactions: kota and Wincel
What about MSE + FP + MSDO? Is that the best combo possible?
That's like a lefort 3.5 :feelskek: it would be a 4, but there's no distraction osteogenesis on the sagittal plane for the mandible, only transversal.

• +1
Reactions: her
That's like a lefort 3.5 :feelskek: it would be a 4, but there's no distraction osteogenesis on the sagittal plane for the mandible, only transversal.
What is your current plan to ascend?

I read the mse face mask being described as a lefort 3 protraction, but whether or not it really outperforms a lefort 3 is tbd. Also the C&R fp is probably better than face mask because it pushes on the neck instead of the chin.
Mse+msdo+facepulls like a madman until you have an overbite+correct overbite with bsso=lefort 4 🤯

@CopeAndRope do you think the fp would create an overbite or would the mandible swing with the maxilla as far as it’ll go?

Last edited:
  • +1
Reactions: kota, CopeAndRope and Wincel
I read the mse face mask being described as a lefort 3 protraction, but whether or not it really outperforms a lefort 3 is tbd. Also the C&R fp is probably better than face mask because it pushes on the neck instead of the chin.

Mse+msdo+facepulls like a madman until you have an overbite+correct overbite with bsso=lefort 4 🤯
LeFort 5 if I reduce my midface by cutting the maxilla and giving it a ccw rotation. :feelskek:

• Love it
Reactions: OOGABOOGA
LeFort 5 if I reduce my midface by cutting the maxilla and giving it a ccw rotation. :feelskek:
This is fun, what’s lefort 6?

Genio/wraparound implant?

This is fun, what’s lefort 6?

Genio/wraparound implant?
LeFort 6 is getting a titanium exoskeleton of my face so my enemies can fear me even more.

maxresdefault.jpg

• +1
  • JFL
Reactions: Dogs and OOGABOOGA
LeFort 6 is getting a titanium exoskeleton of my face so my enemies can fear me even more.

maxresdefault.jpg

Wear that when you jump Astro for not giving you credit after he steals your facepuller design

Last edited:

For MSE, you need an orthodontist; it's an invasive procedures that involve screws. With a normal non-invasive expander, I recommend going to an orthodontist to make it for you, especially being young the cost can still be covered with your insurance. The problem is finding one that is actually willing to do it. I don't really recommend expansion without orthodontist supervision because the complications that would occur if something were to go wrong is not worth the reward of successful expansion.