How can i fix my long face

W

whiper79

Iron
90bc31c2 d666 4a5d 9768 fc6b333a4161 1 all 62213

I've noticed and some friends and parents as well that my face is unusually long, and also

I can't seem to close my mouth easily at all. Could potentially be because of mouth breathing most of my life due to allergies. Is there anything to fix my long face and why my mouth can't close, really does not look good mouth breathing.

My beard is in a horrible state, trying to grow the sides, but they just won't grow more than that. Although it does cover my non existent chin quite well.
20231002 1530402

90bc31c2 d666 4a5d 9768 fc6b333a4161 1 all 52018

Last edited:
  • +1
  • So Sad
Reactions: Funnyunenjoyer1, normie_joe, Lonenely sigma and 1 other person
Its a very clear side effect of a tall gonial angle and a recessed jaw.

If you are into surgeries, you could look into CCW bimax. It enables you to reduce your gonial angle and push both your maxilla and your mandible (but mandible more) forwards.

Now, the reason you can't close your lips well is bc they are too far away. I can't see it bc you have a beard but I'd bet your mentalis (a muscle on your chin) is strained, bc its used to close the lips and if they are too far apart it will struggle and look like a ball under your lower lip.

You should also do genio after bimax imo

• +1
Reactions: Sodoku and Akatlyn

• +1
Reactions: whiper79
Yeah the beard hides it but when I close my mouth my chin becomes very flat and has texture kind of like an orange peel.

On the surgery, do you think I could be covered under insurance or equivalently in the UK under the NHS, is my situation bad enough to warrant that? If not do you have any idea how much it all can cost?

What does the genio do, is that for the chin?

• +1
Reactions: Lonenely sigma
Yeah the beard hides it but when I close my mouth my chin becomes very flat and has texture kind of like an orange peel.

On the surgery, do you think I could be covered under insurance or equivalently in the UK under the NHS, is my situation bad enough to warrant that? If not do you have any idea how much it all can cost?

What does the genio do, is that for the chin?
all questions asked should be answered by a qualified maxfac after getting your ct scan. And yeah, genio is for chin.

• +1
Reactions: whiper79
all questions asked should be answered by a qualified maxfac after getting your ct scan. And yeah, genio is for chin.
I've got a dentists appointment tomorrow, I guess would be a good idea to talk about it then, potentially get a referral to the max fac surgeon? Any tips on what I can tell them for them to get me to the maxfac?

• +1
I've got a dentists appointment tomorrow, I guess would be a good idea to talk about it then, potentially get a referral to the max fac surgeon? Any tips on what I can tell them for them to get me to the maxfac?
A dentist won't send you to a maxfac lol. You have to actually message maxfac first.

Once you visit a maxfac, he takes a CT scan of your skull and makes a prediction of the movement of your bones. Before he does that however, he looks at the relation of your jaws. Thus, a maxfac sends you to an orthodontist/dentist with a goal of fixing your teeth in a way that once he pushes your jaws forwards they are fixed.

If you just go with a dentist you will, possibly, look worse. It happened before many times

A dentist won't send you to a maxfac lol. You have to actually message maxfac first.

Once you visit a maxfac, he takes a CT scan of your skull and makes a prediction of the movement of your bones. Before he does that however, he looks at the relation of your jaws. Thus, a maxfac sends you to an orthodontist/dentist with a goal of fixing your teeth in a way that once he pushes your jaws forwards they are fixed.

If you just go with a dentist you will, possibly, look worse. It happened before many times
That seems to be how it works here in the UK, if you want it covered, you need a referral from a dentist, I went to my GP today and he agreed it seemed to be a mechanical issue with my mouth with the mouth closing issue, he gave me a letter to take to the dentist, which I've got an appointment tomorrow for. The letter basically says to refer me to facial deformity/orthognathic clinic.

• +1
That seems to be how it works here in the UK, if you want it covered, you need a referral from a dentist, I went to my GP today and he agreed it seemed to be a mechanical issue with my mouth with the mouth closing issue, he gave me a letter to take to the dentist, which I've got an appointment tomorrow for. The letter basically says to refer me to facial deformity/orthognathic clinic.
Yeah, if you want it covered you do have to go with a dentist first, but the covered surgery will strictly be functional, not aesthetic. Most people don't go down that path if they want to shoot for aesthetics tho

Yeah, if you want it covered you do have to go with a dentist first, but the covered surgery will strictly be functional, not aesthetic. Most people don't go down that path if they want to shoot for aesthetics
I had a look at the surgeons that work at the hospital under coverage and they are the same ones in my city that do it privately at their own clinics? Wouldn't the focus on either functionality or aesthetics be similar then?

I had a look at the surgeons that work at the hospital under coverage and they are the same ones in my city that do it privately at their own clinics? Wouldn't the focus on either functionality or aesthetics be similar then?
Not really. If you focus on the functionality alone, you could fix your (most likely) overbite with brace alone.

However, your forward growth, won't change since your bones would remain of the same lenght. Cheaper surgeons focus solely on fixing the malocclusion

Not really. If you focus on the functionality alone, you could fix your (most likely) overbite with brace alone.

However, your forward growth, won't change since your bones would remain of the same lenght. Cheaper surgeons focus solely on fixing the malocclusion
Hmm what I'm seeing is it'd be a good idea once i do see the surgeon under coverage to see what the plan to do, I've seen others online under coverage who seem to get really good results in bith areas so I guess it wouldn't be a harm to go through with it. I can compare that with their private services then?

On another note, how different would I look with good bimax surgery and genio, like what features would change in my face?