How can I sound more confident and exciting?

Deleted member 7509

Deleted member 7509

🌐
I have a YouTube channel which is my main source of income right now, and I want to improve my voice quality by sounding more confident and more exciting.

How can I do it?

Also do I have a russian accent or was I able to get rid of it?

You don't have a russian accent. u sound depressed n monotone tho. watch sum like interviews of male celebrities n see how they speak ( tone n shit) good luck

• JFL
Reactions: Htobrother
sounds all-american not russian

2s 4s 8s beats PATTERN

This is how human rhythm works.

At the end of phrases, you either go up and shortened intonation, or down and lengthened intonation. We constantly alternate between these 2 directions, back and forth.

To sound more engaging, exaggerate those intonations. If you listen to some music, you'll notice thats why it sounds good, they use the same speech pattern as regular talking, but very exaggerated to turn talking into singing.

Listen to Snoop Dogg here, always extending his voice as it lowers in the end of phrases, and also cutting it short as it rises at the end of phrases.

View attachment 1010723

This is how human rhythm works.

At the end of phrases, you either go up and shortened intonation, or down and lengthened intonation. We constantly alternate between these 2 directions, back and forth.

To sound more engaging, exaggerate those intonations. If you listen to some music, you'll notice thats why it sounds good, they use the same speech pattern as regular talking, but very exaggerated to turn talking into singing.

Listen to Snoop Dogg here, always extending his voice as it lowers in the end of phrases, and also cutting it short as it rises at the end of phrases.

Too low iq to understand but banger song tbh. Plz explain. What exactly do you mean by exaggerating intonations? Would it be making sound longer?

• +1
Reactions: Deleted member 4797
Too low iq to understand but banger song tbh. Plz explain. What exactly do you mean by exaggerating intonations? Would it be making sound longer?

I timestamped that.

Listen to the end of phrases, he either makes his voice louder and cuts the last word shorter at the same time, or he makes his voice lower and extends the last word longer/fades it out.

This produces a constant up and down rhythm, phrase to phrase, which is the key to an engaging intonation.

Is that clear now because I can try explain it better if its not yet clear.

• +1
Reactions: Deleted member 7509

I timestamped that.

Listen to the end of phrases, he either makes his voice louder and cuts the last word shorter at the same time, or he makes his voice lower and extends the last word longer/fades it out.

This produces a constant up and down rhythm, phrase to phrase, which is the key to an engaging intonation.

Is that clear now because I can try explain it better if its not yet clear.

All I can hear is him extending his last words in a sentence. I dont feel any up and down motion.

Would have assumed you're from the US, never Russia. Your voice is quite nice, tbh. Light, yet dark, and relaxed. The most straightforward way to sound excited and confident, and make it come across as genuine, is too... well, genuinely feel that way. If you don't feel like that at the moment of recording, you'll simply have to get into the right state of mind. You can do this by visualizing the state of mind in question, while at the same time moving your body in ways that correspond to this feeling. If you want to come across excited for example, smiling and pretend you're having a conversation, and simply act it out as seriously as possible. It can be anything really, and your imagination is your only limitation here. The most important thing is to physically act it out. You will essentially trick your brain into feeling the way you act. With practice, it will become easier to act. And you will even start feeling the emotions you have been practicing on a more regular basis, which is great for ones mental health. This may sound stupid, but it is more or less what cognitive behavior therapy is based on.

If you're on the other hand are struggling with expressing what you want to express, because of autism* for example, you may have to study what that expression actually sounds/look like and do your best to mimic them. Record yourself to get feedback and compare this to people you think pull off the expression well, and repeat until you're satisfied. If you don't get what excitement or confidence actually looks/sounds like, you'll have to study that too. Hope this helps.

*No offense if this is the case. As you can tell from this post, I am a borderline autist myself

All I can hear is him extending his last words in a sentence. I dont feel any up and down motion.
So with words, you can make the intonation go UP or DOWN. Up means it gets squeakier at the end, down means it gets deeper at the end.

When they make the words go UP, they also SPEED UP the end of the word at the same time, to exaggerate the effect. So it gets SQUEAKIER and ACCELERATED to finish.

After thats been done, the next ending will do the opposite, DEEPER and SLOWED DOWN/EXTENDED at the last word.

Listen to the timestamped part again, after the UP and SPEEDED phrase, the next one is finishing LOWER toned and SLOWED DOWN/EXTENDED/FADED OUT.

Although not a bad idea, I don't think the song helps too much with illustrating his point actually. It may be easier to just think in terms of what syllables and/or words are being stressed, and how fast and loud you're speaking. Generally, excited = faster speech, louder and often a higher pitched voice. Calm speech would be the opposite. Listen to actual speech if this is somewhat unclear for you, as it will be more clear than songs.
Confident speech can basically be thought of as stable speech: no stuttering, steady flow in the sentences, no unnatural breaks, and so on. Both slow and fast speed may make you come across as confident, depending on the context. The key is that the speed is appropriate to the (social) context, I would say.

So with words, you can make the intonation go UP or DOWN. Up means it gets squeakier at the end, down means it gets deeper at the end.

When they make the words go UP, they also SPEED UP the end of the word at the same time, to exaggerate the effect. So it gets SQUEAKIER and ACCELERATED to finish.

After thats been done, the next ending will do the opposite, DEEPER and SLOWED DOWN/EXTENDED at the last word.

Listen to the timestamped part again, after the UP and SPEEDED phrase, the next one is finishing LOWER toned and SLOWED DOWN/EXTENDED/FADED OUT.
@Uglyass One thing to consider is variation. What makes someone sound monotone is lack of variation in pitch and rhythm. It can't be too predictable, but still have a natural flow to it.

Although not a bad idea, I don't think the song helps too much with illustrating his point actually. It may be easier to just think in terms of what syllables and/or words are being stressed, and how fast and loud you're speaking. Generally, excited = faster speech, louder and often a higher pitched voice. Calm speech would be the opposite. Listen to actual speech if this is somewhat unclear for you, as it will be more clear than songs.
Confident speech can basically be thought of as stable speech: no stuttering, steady flow in the sentences, no unnatural breaks, and so on. Both slow and fast speed may make you come across as confident, depending on the context. The key is that the speed is appropriate to the (social) context, I would say.
high iq af tysm

• +1
Reactions: Deleted member 4797 and Bobelbrah
@Uglyass One thing to consider is variation. What makes someone sound monotone is lack of variation in pitch and rhythm. It can't be too predictable, but still have a natural flow to it.

I thought that at the start too but as I paid attention to peoples speech patterns, both in singing and speech, everybody follows this same up down pattern. You never hear anybody do a DOWN DOWN or UP UP, its always back and forth UP DOWN UP DOWN.

Now the degree to which you exaggerate the UP DOWN, and the timing of it, yes that varies a ton, as well as actual voice pitch. However the fundamentals to start with is just to make sure always be going UP DOWN, and build more depth to your rhythm from there.

high iq af tysm
Lol, yr welcome. Just what comes out from a semi-autistical musical nerd, trying to help my fellow autistcel. Btw, if you play any musical instrument, I highly recommend you treating what we discussed here the same way as when practicing your instrument.

• +1
I thought that at the start too but as I paid attention to peoples speech patterns, both in singing and speech, everybody follows this same up down pattern. You never hear anybody do a DOWN DOWN or UP UP, its always back and forth UP DOWN UP DOWN.

Now the degree to which you exaggerate the UP DOWN, and the timing of it, yes that varies a ton, as well as actual voice pitch. However the fundamentals to start with is just to make sure always be going UP DOWN, and build more depth to your rhythm from there.
I respectfully want to disagree with this. In general, the pitch of the voice usually ends going down, but not always. Especially when it comes to excited speech, the voice may start going up more often. But it is such a complex issue, since it really depends on the context of what is being said, and in what circumstance. It will be impossible to sound natural if one thinks about every sentence one utters, and especially if every sentence has the same musical contour. It has to come from within, and the body has to react and follow ones intentions. I do think you are describing a general rule however, which however is broken quite frequently.

• +1
I respectfully want to disagree with this. In general, the pitch of the voice usually ends going down, but not always. Especially when it comes to excited speech, the voice may start going up more often. But it is such a complex issue, since it really depends on the context of what is being said, and in what circumstance. It will be impossible to sound natural if one thinks about every sentence one utters, and especially if every sentence has the same musical contour. It has to come from within, and the body has to react and follow ones intentions. I do think you are describing a general rule however, which however is broken quite frequently.
hmm, could you post a speech or just any dialogue that you find charismatic? we can break it down a little, because I respectfully think I'm right but am open to being wrong too, I wanna expose my thinking on it so if there's a flaw you can correct me.

• +1
Reactions: Bobelbrah
hmm, could you post a speech or just any dialogue that you find charismatic? we can break it down a little, because I respectfully think I'm right but am open to being wrong too, I wanna expose my thinking on it so if there's a flaw you can correct me.
I can promise to do it later, as it will be such a picky mess. Need to grab some sleep(clocks 4 in the morning soon). Will get back here during the weekend probably.

• +1
I can promise to do it later, as it will be such a picky mess. Need to grab some sleep(clocks 4 in the morning soon). Will get back here during the weekend probably.
Alright gn bro

• +1
Reactions: Bobelbrah