How do I start in the gym?

D

Deleted member 48464

Iron
Hey guys, I’m completely new to the gym, like my bench max is literally 95, weak asf. I honestly don’t know how to start, but I want to get better. I don’t know what exercises to do and all that. If there are any guides to this I’d be very grateful for any links, I’ve looked and came up empty. I would really like even if it’s just a plan of exercises for me to follow untill I can get to know enough to construct my own lifting plan.

Don't worry mate I got your back.
This may not be intuitive at first but there's this site called YouTube it works in a rather fascinating way. YouTube is a video-sharing platform that has become a global phenomenon. It allows users to upload, view, and share videos on virtually any topic you can imagine.
Steps:
1. Open youtube and search "How do I start in the gym?"

• +1
Reactions: rdqs and PseudoMaxxer
this forum has really gone downhill since 2020

• +1
Reactions: rdqs and Lmao
Don't worry mate I got your back.
This may not be intuitive at first but there's this site called YouTube it works in a rather fascinating way. YouTube is a video-sharing platform that has become a global phenomenon. It allows users to upload, view, and share videos on virtually any topic you can imagine.
Steps:
1. Open youtube and search "How do I start in the gym?"
I’ve found like no videos that have a given plan for me to follow, it’s all about like eat protein while you lift and stuff because microtears help my muscles grow, nothing that like is helpful to me

• +1
Reactions: rdqs
enter, pick up a weight, jerk it for a bit, go home

• +1
  • JFL
Reactions: rdqs and imabetanumale
Hey man, starting in the gym is easy.
First grab a plan - I follow muscle and fitness Mag’s workout. I do mass routines.

Alright, so now grab the whole routines. Should be, chest, shoulders, arms/bi/tris, back, and legs. Ok so we want mass.

No go in the gym and find out your baseline. For instance - you can curl 30 lbs max 1 time. That is your max. So you can try to perform 20 for 8, 15 for 10.

Do this with all the workouts. Find out your max, then start figuring out a way to make it challenging while staying under the max.

This will take about a whole month of trial and error to find out where you stand.

Alright you know where you stand, now what? Perform the exercises to failure (you would be unable to lift more when you leave the gym with this method), eventually you want to start performing a different strategy. You want to lift HEAVY first, then go down in weight. Most programs have you go up.

Lastly, lifting is two things. The first is not just throwing the weight up. If you are using momentum, or recruiting other muscles you are doing it WRONG. For a bicep curl, people swing the weights up with momentum. Wrong.

The last thing is, on the way down go SLOWLY. Don’t just drop the weight. So when you curl and bring the weight up, on the way down go slowly and carry the weight down.

There is much more but this is the start.

• +1
Reactions: rdqs and autistic_tendencies
as long as you're doing 10+ heavy sets a week for a muscle group it'll grow regardless of in how many sessions you do it.

one gym session doesn't have to be much more than 4 compound lifts and some isolation for bodyparts that lag or don't contract well enough during your main lift, if you did that three times a week it would be 12 sets.

i.e for chest all you'd have to do is 4 sets of bench, and then maybe some tricep pull downs as isolation in case those don't activate that well during the press.

for back all you'd have to do is 4 sets of pendlay rows and then some dumbbell rows to isolate the lower back a bit better in case you have issues with it.

just google 'compound lift for X bodypart' and try a bunch to see which work for you.

• +1
Reactions: boss8055
as long as you're doing 10+ heavy sets a week for a muscle group it'll grow regardless of in how many sessions you do it.

one gym session doesn't have to be much more than 4 compound lifts and some isolation for bodyparts that lag or don't contract well enough during your main lift, if you did that three times a week it would be 12 sets.

i.e for chest all you'd have to do is 4 sets of bench, and then maybe some tricep pull downs as isolation in case those don't activate that well during the press.

for back all you'd have to do is 4 sets of pendlay rows and then some dumbbell rows to isolate the lower back a bit better in case you have issues with it.

just google 'compound lift for X bodypart' and try a bunch to see which work for you.
this is somewhat advanced.

For me, I do two things. Look up the book 5/3/1 by Jim Wendler. I mix the 5/3/1 method which is a powerlifting method along with a bodybuilding routine presented in the video I posted above.

So I go in, do 5/3/1 first, lift my heaviest. Then I do everything else listed in the muscle and fitness mag video I posted. I believe I got everything, compound lifts with 5/3/1 and mass building with the other.

I also do Brazilian jujitsu.

Last edited:
Also, look into

this is somewhat advanced.

For me, I do two things. Look up the book 5/3/1 by Jim Wendler. I mix the 5/3/1 method which is a powerlifting method along with a bodybuilding routine presented in the video I posted above.

So I go in, do 5/3/1 first, lift my heaviest. Then I do everything else listed in the muscle and fitness mag video I posted. I believe I got everything, compound lifts with 5/3/1 and mass building with the other.

I also do Brazilian jujitsu.
should work just fine.

Just keep going and it you will eventually get the hang of it, don't listen to people who say gym is cope