How do you defend yourself against ‘ad hominem’ during debates/convos.

itsherlossNVM

itsherlossNVM

STeAKFACe** ᕙ(⇀‸↼‶)ᕗ
I’ve been finding myself more interest in politics as the election nears closer. Because of this I’m kinda on Reddit circles where there’s clearly heavy favoritism toward liberal values.

What I find is that if I ever bring up a point it’s often rebutted with personal attacks rather than actual imperial evidence, dosent help that my Reddit account spans 5 years and has some deeper post about certain issues I needed help on. But regardless, i guessed it’s school value as the person who uses personal attacks gets upvoted hard and I just get downvoted to hell.

I know it’s Reddit and I don’t let it affect my life. But it’s kinda annoying when people purposefully screw over your intended message or divert blame.

How do you become a better debater, and defend against ad hominem?

• +1
Reactions: Baldingman1998 and Darkeningstar
I also forgot to add this happens irl as well where the debates will get diverted to more personal attacks.

It depends on the effect you want to have. Make it look different by manipulating certain details of the causes by "passing them off" as other causes

• +1
Reactions: itsherlossNVM
Edit: Shock Value* not school value.

It depends on the effect you want to have. Make it look different by manipulating certain details of the causes by "passing them off" as other causes
Even if I try to do that they still double down harder on what there saying, even if I do bring up solid points on my end.

• +1
Reactions: Baldingman1998 and Darkeningstar
Don't bother. Online debates are like playing chess with a pigeon.... they'll shit on the board and strut around like they won anyway

• +1
Reactions: Baldingman1998 and itsherlossNVM
If you want to gain consensus, that's a different kettle of fish.
I personally am not interested in that, and I tend to ignore the ad hominem attack
Even if I try to do that they still double down harder on what there saying, even if I do bring up solid points on my end.
If you do it "right" they won't.
However, if your interest is to have your say, expect confrontations. The more true something is the more clashes you will have

• +1
Reactions: Baldingman1998 and itsherlossNVM
If you want to gain consensus, that's a different kettle of fish.
I personally am not interested in that, and I tend to ignore the ad hominem attack

If you do it "right" they won't.
However, if your interest is to have your say, expect confrontations. The more true something is the more clashes you will have
Make sense, it’s just get ridiculous at times when there clashing against actual facts lol.

• +1
Reactions: Darkeningstar
it’s just get ridiculous at times when there clashing against actual facts lol.
I find it more frustrating when personal, obviously not very provable observations are discredited with so-called factuality.

• +1
  • +1
Reactions: Darkeningstar
I’ve been finding myself more interest in politics as the election nears closer. Because of this I’m kinda on Reddit circles where there’s clearly heavy favoritism toward liberal values.

What I find is that if I ever bring up a point it’s often rebutted with personal attacks rather than actual imperial evidence, dosent help that my Reddit account spans 5 years and has some deeper post about certain issues I needed help on. But regardless, i guessed it’s school value as the person who uses personal attacks gets upvoted hard and I just get downvoted to hell.

I know it’s Reddit and I don’t let it affect my life. But it’s kinda annoying when people purposefully screw over your intended message or divert blame.

How do you become a better debater, and defend against ad hominem?
why do you waste time debating midwit redditors ?

• +1
Attack their race, identity or something personal and they'll leave the conversation if you struck a nerve

• +1
Reactions: Baldingman1998, itsherlossNVM and Snowskinned
why do you waste time debating midwit redditors ?
Idk just the hopes that someone could see a different point of view but seldom does that happen.

• JFL
Reactions: 6PSLcel
Idk just the hopes that someone could see a different point of view but seldom does that happen.
debating most people is fucking useless, only debate people who are willing to change their perspective on whatever topic or topics youre debating.

• +1
Attack their race, identity or something personal and they'll leave the conversation if you struck a nerve
It's reddit he will get Perma banned. You can't defend yourself against liberal gay values on Reddit even if you're right.

• +1
If its just an ad homnien. Just say make an argument and tvey won't respond

• +1

Users who are viewing this thread

Back