How do you figure out if you have a recessed maxilla

I

(In)CelibatePsycho2

Bronze
I have an utter subhuman flat Asian side profile. I think I have a recessed maxilla but I’m not sure, how do I figure it out? I don’t want to post a picture and dox myself. If I do have a recessed maxilla I think I will start thumb pulling

I have an utter subhuman flat Asian side profile. I think I have a recessed maxilla but I’m not sure, how do I figure it out? I don’t want to post a picture and dox myself. If I do have a recessed maxilla I think I will start thumb pulling
how old are you ?

"Recessed maxilla" as it's talked about on here is a PSL meme. The Mallampati test is how you check for downwards growth. If yours is 1 or 2, then it's fine, especially since Asian skulls aren't supposed to have much maxillary projection.

mallampatiscore_913672.jpg

"Recessed maxilla" as it's talked about on here is a PSL meme. The Mallampati test is how you check for downwards growth. If yours is 1 or 2, then it's fine, especially since Asian skulls aren't supposed to have much maxillary projection.

I think I’m class 1 but I’m probably not using the test correctly since I feel like everyone should be class 1

I think I’m class 1 but I’m probably not using the test correctly since I feel like everyone should be class 1

I measure myself at class 1, but I was measured at class 2 by a professional. 1 or 2 means that your jaws grew more forwards than downwards, and even if doesn't project all that much, there's nothing technically wrong because the jaws are at a forwards, low (as in low gonial angle), good angle. So from there, the question would be if you have a deep bite (a recessed mandible but at a flat angle) or an underbite (recessed maxilla but not mandible). If you have none of those and especially that you're Asian, your jaws are fine, they grew the way that they were supposed to.

I measure myself at class 1, but I was measured at class 2 by a professional. 1 or 2 means that your jaws grew more forwards than downwards, and even if doesn't project all that much, there's nothing technically wrong because the jaws are at a forwards, low (as in low gonial angle), good angle. So from there, the question would be if you have a deep bite (a recessed mandible but at a flat angle) or an underbite (recessed maxilla but not mandible). If you have none of those and especially that you're Asian, your jaws are fine, they grew the way that they were supposed to.
I don’t want my jaws to grow the way they are supposed to I want them to grow in a way that looks good

I don’t want my jaws to grow the way they are supposed to I want them to grow in a way that looks good

Genetics already determined that boyo. Just be happy that you didn’t end up with an underbite or the bucktooth recession that some Asians have.

• +1
Reactions: RealNinja

I think I’m 4, am I cooked

• +1
Reactions: Ultimate Subhuman™
I think I’m 4, am I cooked

If you have the high gonial angle, recessed chin, long philtrum kinda stuff going on then I seriously recommend jaw surgery. Downwards growth is not some PSL meme, sleep apnea and shit like that are legitimate medical conditions caused by jaw recession, and the good news is that insurance might cover the cost.

I've read about this a lot. My jaws are fine, but I might not be here if they weren't. I've had 2 life saving emergency surgeries, they measured my Mallampati score when they hooked me up to the anesthesia, it was 2 and there were no issues. But if it was 4, and my airway was smaller and it caused trouble with the anesthesia, that's when patients become more difficult for surgeons to operate on and any surgery becomes much riskier.

• +1
Reactions: wheres681
If you have the high gonial angle, recessed chin, long philtrum kinda stuff going on then I seriously recommend jaw surgery. Downwards growth is not some PSL meme, sleep apnea and shit like that are legitimate medical conditions caused by jaw recession, and the good news is that insurance might cover the cost.

I've read about this a lot. My jaws are fine, but I might not be here if they weren't. I've had 2 life saving emergency surgeries, they measured my Mallampati score when they hooked me up to the anesthesia, it was 2 and there were no issues. But if it was 4, and my airway was smaller and it caused trouble with the anesthesia, that's when patients become more difficult for surgeons to operate on and any surgery becomes much riskier.
I have never experienced sleep apnea, not yet at least.
What kind of surgery? DJS?

I have never experienced sleep apnea, not yet at least.
What kind of surgery? DJS?

Ya, sleep apnea usually comes later in life. And yes, DJS with counterclockwise rotation. The counterclockwise rotation will rotate your jaws forwards.

• +1
Ya, sleep apnea usually comes later in life. And yes, DJS with counterclockwise rotation. The counterclockwise rotation will rotate your jaws forwards.
Yeah maybe that’s the way to go. I was thinking of geneo, or implant, maybe that’s not enough

so DJS essentially reverses downgrowth? or will u still look fucked after DJS

• +1

is it possible to have like class 0 because mine looks like class 1 but a bit bigger (or that would just be class 1)

Ok so the maxillary triangle is a good test but has the variable settedness of the ears (low or high) and the length of the earlobes and stuff. You could do it relative to the Frankfurt horizontal but I've been doubting using the Frankfurt plane as a standard or anchor as it has a variability.

Besides the triangle you can also look at the anterior facial depth for primarily the projection of the lower maxilla.

Besides all this I'll give you more pointers. As it was said before in the replies if you have a high gonial angle, it's most likely a downgrown maxilla.
Recessed chin may not be a good indicator.
Flat upper lip is a good indicator although not a sure way.
Obtuse nasolabial angle is also a good pointer but then tom cruise has it but his maxilla looks fine.

The best 2 ways would be anterior facial depth for lower and the deep-settedness of eyes for the upper. For the upper you could also factor in the infra orbitals but that again is really the deep settedness of eyes. Another way is to just look at the mirror and draw conclusions, easiest one so far

• +1
Reactions: (In)CelibatePsycho2