How I Studied to get Accepted into Medical School at a Public University in Brazil and America

hilley

hilley

6'4 medical student
- Simulated Exams.

Take at least one simulated exam per week. It is extremely important to track your performance, especially if you can correct it in detail afterwards. I was taught to categorize the mistakes into three types:

C - lack of content
A - lack of attention
I - interpretation

This way, you can identify where you need to improve and can go back to review. If it is a group exam, you can see your performance in relation to others, but the most important thing is to see your own improvement.

- Essay.

The essay is a crucial aspect in almost all admission exams, regardless of their focus. Try to write one per week, on the day you have the most free time. If possible, have these essays corrected on the same day to know what needs to be improved.

- Rest.

Please take breaks when you notice that your performance is declining. When you can't focus. When the words no longer make sense. There's no point in continuing to "study" when your brain is no longer absorbing anything. Taking breaks helps refresh your mind, so you can return to your studies with renewed energy and better focus. Remember, quality is more important than quantity when it comes to effective studying.

- Balance.

There are people who focus heavily on solving practice questions and others who spend most of their time just reading the content. Try not to be strictly either of these types, but rather a blend of both. Both reading and solving practice questions are essential for your success. Balancing these approaches ensures that you understand the material thoroughly and can apply your knowledge effectively. Don't neglect either aspect. Integrating these methods will help you reinforce what you've learned and identify areas where you need further review.

— Anki.

In addition to lists of exercises from past exams, I dedicated one hour each day to work on my flashcards for important content. Using spaced repetition, I reviewed the flashcards until I had no gaps in my knowledge. This daily practice helped reinforce my understanding and retention of key concepts. Anki, with its effective algorithm, ensured that I reviewed information just as I was about to forget it, making my study sessions more efficient and productive.

I hope this has been helpful. Feel free to send me a private message if you have any questions.

• +1
Reactions: N1666, Rea, Infinite and 7 others
- Simulated Exams.

Take at least one simulated exam per week. It is extremely important to track your performance, especially if you can correct it in detail afterwards. I was taught to categorize the mistakes into three types:

C - lack of content
A - lack of attention
I - interpretation

This way, you can identify where you need to improve and can go back to review. If it is a group exam, you can see your performance in relation to others, but the most important thing is to see your own improvement.

- Essay.

The essay is a crucial aspect in almost all admission exams, regardless of their focus. Try to write one per week, on the day you have the most free time. If possible, have these essays corrected on the same day to know what needs to be improved.

- Rest.

Please take breaks when you notice that your performance is declining. When you can't focus. When the words no longer make sense. There's no point in continuing to "study" when your brain is no longer absorbing anything. Taking breaks helps refresh your mind, so you can return to your studies with renewed energy and better focus. Remember, quality is more important than quantity when it comes to effective studying.

- Balance.

There are people who focus heavily on solving practice questions and others who spend most of their time just reading the content. Try not to be strictly either of these types, but rather a blend of both. Both reading and solving practice questions are essential for your success. Balancing these approaches ensures that you understand the material thoroughly and can apply your knowledge effectively. Don't neglect either aspect. Integrating these methods will help you reinforce what you've learned and identify areas where you need further review.

— Anki.

In addition to lists of exercises from past exams, I dedicated one hour each day to work on my flashcards for important content. Using spaced repetition, I reviewed the flashcards until I had no gaps in my knowledge. This daily practice helped reinforce my understanding and retention of key concepts. Anki, with its effective algorithm, ensured that I reviewed information just as I was about to forget it, making my study sessions more efficient and productive.

I hope this has been helpful. Feel free to send me a private message if you have any questions.
Needed this bhai

• Love it
Reactions: hilley
Your trying to apply to medical school in USA? Do they even allow you to take the mcat in testing centers in brazil

• +1
Your trying to apply to medical school in USA? Do they even allow you to take the mcat in testing centers in brazil
I'm half american half brazillian, took both exams (MCAT and ENEM).

• +1
Reactions: PrinceofDarkness
I'm half american half brazillian, took both exams (MCAT and ENEM).
Nice I’m studying for the mcat right now. How’d you do? Where are you applying to?

• +1
Nice I’m studying for the mcat right now. How’d you do? Where are you applying to?
I applied to several schools and got accepted into University of California, San Diego. But having experience with the ENEM was essential for me to achieve the required score, which I even consider more difficult than the mcat tho

I applied to several schools and got accepted into University of California, San Diego. But having experience with the ENEM was essential for me to achieve the required score, which I even consider more difficult than the mcat tho
That’s insane getting into a Cali school as a non Cali resident in itself is hard and your doing it as an international student? what’s your research experience like?

• +1
400 weeks vs 1 meeks

but gotta cope somehow

gl mate

• +1
Reactions: MA_ascender, Debetro and hilley
That’s insane getting into a Cali school as a non Cali resident in itself is hard and your doing it as an international student? what’s your research experience like?
I'm a american citizen my guy

• JFL
Reactions: N1666, Infinite and PrinceofDarkness
I'm a american citizen my guy
Ahhhh but even as a non resident it’s tough. I’m assuming you’re from Cali then? Most Cali students fuck off since it’s already competitive. Ngl the lack of affirmative action is based on their part. I wish NY and NJ had the balls to do that.

Ahhhh but even as a non resident it’s tough. I’m assuming you’re from Cali then? Most Cali students fuck off since it’s already competitive. Ngl the lack of affirmative action is based on their part. I wish NY and NJ had the balls to do that.
Nahh i'm from florida and yea it's competitve as fuck but from my experience, i think in Brazil is much harder because black people need lower scores, so theres like 300 applicants per position. Pm me so i can tell you more about it and how i studied specifically to the mcat

• +1
Reactions: PrinceofDarkness
Nahh i'm from florida and yea it's competitve as fuck but from my experience, i think in Brazil is much harder because black people need lower scores, so theres like 300 applicants per position. Pm me so i can tell you more about it and how i studied specifically to the mcat
The option to pm doesn’t show

- Simulated Exams.

C - lack of content
A - lack of attention
I - interpretation

- Essay.

- Rest.

- Balance.

— Anki.

congratulations man you deserved it

• +1
congratulations man youre an inspiration to me

It’s called microdosing crystal meth. Just make sure you study instead of gooning for 10 hours. Every time I’ve taken a ton of adderall while at home I’ve jacked off for at least 4 hours instead of being productive

• JFL
It’s called microdosing crystal meth. Just make sure you study instead of gooning for 10 hours. Every time I’ve taken a ton of adderall while at home I’ve jacked off for at least 4 hours instead of being productive
LMAO i fucking cried reading that and yea i also took tons of vynvanse these 2 years of active study

I'm telling you, you won't make it past 60 because of all the accumulated stress and inflamation due to cortisol and meds.

I'm telling you, you won't make it past 60 because of all the accumulated stress and inflamation due to cortisol and meds.
Why do yall demonize study so much? You just need to get used to it, i can't live a day without studying otherwise i get depressed

• JFL
Reactions: Debetro