How important is the orthondontists role in a bimax?

Gaia262

Gaia262

Never Give Up
@aut0phobic
@kota

I have to get orthodontics prior to getting my bimax and genio. my surgeon has recommended me one in London with amazing credentials but costs £5000, I have a good bite and don't feel I need to pay this sort of money as I had braces in the past (camouflage orthodontics) , surely I can go to a less expensive one.

I keep hearing two different stories some say its the orthodontist that guides the surgery others say its the surgeon.

Does the orthodontist have any impact on the final movements?

Last edited:
  • +1
Reactions: Deleted member 1862
@Sergio-OMS

• +1
Reactions: MentalistKebab
Orthodontist are crooks.

• +1
Reactions: never_lucky and AllBrainsNeedednow
Even if we tell you that its not important, IT DOESNT MATTER
if you are required to do it, then you still HAVE to do it

• +1
Reactions: mewcoper and AllBrainsNeedednow
Even if we tell you that its not important, IT DOESNT MATTER
if you are required to do it, then you still HAVE to do it

I know I still have to do it, but the quality of the orthodontist does it matter? will it impact the final results?

I know I still have to do it, but the quality of the orthodontist does it matter? will it impact the final results?
If they ask for you to do a process which makes the process more complicated, longer, expensive and they probably barely gain anything
then I am pretty sure that it will impact results and is required to minimize side effects

• +1
Reactions: Gaia262
@aut0phobic
@kota

I have to get orthodontics prior to getting my bimax and genio. my surgeon has recommended me one in London with amazing credentials but costs £5000, I have a good bite and don't feel I need to pay this sort of money as I had braces in the past (camouflage orthodontics) , surely I can go to a less expensive one.

I keep hearing two different stories some say its the orthodontist that guides the surgery others say its the surgeon.

Does the orthodontist have any impact on the final movements?
I'd honestly take the extra monetary hit and go with the ortho your surgeon recommends, at the very least it'll give you peace of mind. Good communication between ortho & surgeon is pretty crucial, so going with your surgeons recommendation would be beneficial in that regard too, as I assume they're probably well acquainted.

I'm saying this as I personally don't like the idea of taking chances when my FACE is concerned.

• +1
Reactions: EverythingMaxxer, ScramFranklin, hairyballscel and 1 other person
I'd honestly take the extra monetary hit and go with the ortho your surgeon recommends, at the very least it'll give you peace of mind. Good communication between ortho & surgeon is pretty crucial, so going with your surgeons recommendation would be beneficial in that regard too, as I assume they're probably well acquainted.

I'm saying this as I personally don't like the idea of taking chances when my FACE is concerned.

True im going to ask for one more referral and compare between the two. I also need one who is willing to work through the 2nd lock down.

its a big surgery with large movements, didn't recognise I was that recessed/short faced.

If this goes right I might be able to squeeze in Dr Taban next year.

I realised that my overall surgery plan is essentially mimicking a lefort 3 + bsso (lefort 1 + bsso+ genioplasty + almond eye inc infraorbital malar implants)

• +1
Reactions: Deleted member 1862
In my case I had surgery first and still never had orthodontics. The surgeon didn't seem to think it was important. After the surgery he just said that my skeletal bite is fine and I can do orthodontics for aesthetic purposes if I want.

Doing it as surgery prep is different. I would probably just go with the surgeons recommendation as they should have good communication. I don't think your previous orthodontics help, it probably just made things worse in regards to the surgery prep as they will have to decompensate.

• +1
  • So Sad
Reactions: Deleted member 4054, mewcoper, AllBrainsNeedednow and 2 others
@Sergio-OMS

If you have a good bite, then probably a surgery first procedure with Invisalign after it to correct the imperfections of the bite that would happen with the surgery would be the way to go.

• +1
Reactions: Deleted member 4054, Gaia262 and kota
If you have a good bite, then probably a surgery first procedure with Invisalign after it to correct the imperfections of the bite that would happen with the surgery would be the way to go.

I had camouflage orthodontics done in the past. He won't do surgery first in my case.

but does the orthondontist have a major role in this? does he have an impact on the final results?

Would it matter if i go to the £5000 orthodontist or one that is £2500 and slightly less skilled?

Last edited:
  • +1
Reactions: Deleted member 6310
What about if you don’t have the good bite, can you align with Invisalign first, or must it be metal braces?

What about if you don’t have the good bite, can you align with Invisalign first, or must it be metal braces?

it depends on each case

I had camouflage orthodontics done in the past. He won't do surgery first in my case.

but does the orthondontist have a major role in this? does he have an impact on the final results?

Would it matter if i go to the £5000 orthodontist or one that is £2500 and slightly less skilled?

Stick to the orthodontist your surgeon recommends

• +1
In my case I had surgery first and still never had orthodontics. The surgeon didn't seem to think it was important. After the surgery he just said that my skeletal bite is fine and I can do orthodontics for aesthetic purposes if I want.

Doing it as surgery prep is different. I would probably just go with the surgeons recommendation as they should have good communication. I don't think your previous orthodontics help, it probably just made things worse in regards to the surgery prep as they will have to decompensate.
Who did you use?

Did you have your jaw surgery done? Iirc, it was ccw down graft and advancement right?

Why does orthodontics preclude you from surgery first? I had braces 5 years ago and Pagnoni has offered a surgery first plan with no issues.

• +1
Reactions: Bobby9
Why does orthodontics preclude you from surgery first? I had braces 5 years ago and Pagnoni has offered a surgery first plan with no issues.

I had camouflage orthodontics done, so they can't advance the mandible much.

They are creating an overjet by extracting the lower premolars and retracting.

This will allow the mandible to be advanced significantly.

Also will be doing IPR teeth shaving to retract further so a further advacement can be done.

It is what it is. I always feel large movements require presurgical orthodontics and be careful he is not taking the easy route out by skipping it with you.

Pagoni did a bimax on a mentally ill guy that didnt need it. So it seems he is in it for the cash.

Last edited:
  • +1
  • JFL
Reactions: mewcoper and ProjectAscension

Also will be doing IPR teeth shaving to retract further so a further advacement can be done.

It is what it is. I always feel large movements require presurgical orthodontics and be careful he is not taking the easy route out by skipping it with you.

Pagoni did a bimax on a mentally ill guy that didnt need it. So it seems he is in it for the cash.
Yeah that's what I was worried about, though his plan didn't seem too bad (5mm upper jaw, 5.5mm mandible CCW). Bimax is obviously something you only wanna do once considering the risk and cost so might as well make the most of it. Mind PMing me your surgeon's name and his price?

Yeah that's what I was worried about, though his plan didn't seem too bad (5mm upper jaw, 5.5mm mandible CCW). Bimax is obviously something you only wanna do once considering the risk and cost so might as well make the most of it. Mind PMing me your surgeon's name and his price?

5.5mm bsso is ultra small dude wtf and no genio.

I am using Dr Ramieri i keep things public to help others. Cost €15,000

Dont have pics dude, it was an italian guy on here who was undoubtedly mentally ill and looked fine before surgery.

Last edited:
  • +1
  • JFL
  • Woah
Reactions: never_lucky, kota, oatmeal and 1 other person

i am in the same boat and caged last part ngl

• +1
how does this work if i've gotta put on braces/invisalign in your country and do the bimax overseas later? is it to set teeth straight or fix overbite?

how does this work if i've gotta put on braces/invisalign in your country and do the bimax overseas later? is it to set teeth straight or fix overbite?

The surgeon and your orthodontist speak and agree a plan and you get braces in your home country.

Its to move your teeth into a position that after the surgery you get a good bite.

• +1
Reactions: kota
5.5mm bsso is ultra small dude wtf and no genio.

I am using Dr Ramieri i keep things public to help others. Cost €15,000

Dont have pics dude, it was an italian guy on here who was undoubtedly mentally ill and looked fine before surgery.

For the other guy - can confirm he didn't need bimax, his jaws already had good projection.

Didn't mention above but a 4mm genio was included with the plan, total price €19,000.

Does the €15,000 include a genio? If so that's pretty damn good

• +1