How long after sliding genioplasty can you return to work with no visible swelling?

11gaijin

11gaijin

Banned
So that nobody can think that you had a surgery, Anyone who had a genioplasty or has an idea?

2 weeks you still have residual swelling

3 weeks and you look normal

I speak from experience ; )

• +1
Reactions: 11gaijin and deepweb1298
Ofc anything else, just ask.
Thanks man, one more question. I am planning to travel for it. I live in Europe and I would travel to another European country for the same. Do you think it would be a big deal to handle the recovery alone since I don't have family here. Can you stay at the hospital after the surgery for a few days? What are the options?

Thanks man, one more question. I am planning to travel for it. I live in Europe and I would travel to another European country for the same. Do you think it would be a big deal to handle the recovery alone since I don't have family here. Can you stay at the hospital after the surgery for a few days? What are the options?
How much will you travel ? If its on your country its good, but still beware of the distance.

I did mine 300 km away from home. The train tickets add up quickly, and each one of them was 30 euros round trip.

I did a first initial consultation, where I paid 100 euros right away. I then thought about it for a few months and went to another consultation to evaluate my health and to do a specialized TAC scan that couldn't be made on my hometown. I also did blood work and ECG (all in my hometown).

I did a third trip to the hotel, where I stayed overnight and then a driver picked me up to the hospital. Stayed in the hospital for 1 day and then another 3 days in the hotel again. In those 3 days I had a post op consultation on the clinic (which was a few blocks away) everyday.

I then went home and returned like 5-7 more times for more post op evaluations. My surgeon knew _I lived far away and so it shortened the amount of post op consultations. We are looking at probably 200 on train tickets alone (the hotel stay and driver were fully payed by the clinic).

The first day is brutal, you can't eat because your mouth won't open, even tough you are on pain killers, so you're not gonna eat anything in that day. On week 1-2 you'll see improvements but is still gonna be hard to eat fully solid foods, I would stick to milk, juice or just potato cream. After 3 weeks you can pretty much eat solid food and it goes improving. Also, you need to take pills for the first 2 weeks and have special mouth care were you wash your teeth and apply a gengival protector after every meal. You can recover alone, just buy in bulk everything its better that way.

So, do it on your country. If you need to leave it by airplane, train, whatever, best is to rent a small place for a month or two after the operations.

Last edited:
  • +1
Reactions: 11gaijin
How much will you travel ? If its on your country its good, but still beware of the distance.

I did mine 300 km away from home. The train tickets add up quickly, and each one of them was 30 euros round trip.

I did a first initial consultation, where I paid 100 euros right away. I then thought about it for a few months and went to another consultation to evaluate my health and to do a specialized TAC scan that couldn't be made on my hometown. I also did blood work and ECG (all in my hometown).

I did a third trip to the hotel, where I stayed overnight and then a driver picked me up to the hospital. Stayed in the hospital for 1 day and then another 3 days in the hotel again. In those 3 days I had a post op consultation on the clinic (which was a few blocks away) everyday.

I then went home and returned like 5-7 more times for more post op evaluations. My surgeon knew _I lived far away and so it shortened the amount of post op consultations. We are looking at probably 200 on train tickets alone (the hotel stay and driver was fully payed by the clinic).

So, do it on your country. If you need to leave it by plain, train, whatever, best is to rent a small place for a month or two after the operations.
I'm gonna take a flight. I am not able to find any surgeons in the country I live (Sweden). Thinking of travelling to Poland, Spain or Italy (not finalised yet).

That sounds a lot of consultations, did you only get the genioplasty or something else as well? I thought genio will not require me staying for that long. I was planning to rent a place for 2 weeks or so, but if it needs to be 2 months, then I'd need to plan it better. Thanks for the detailed reply.

I'm gonna take a flight. I am not able to find any surgeons in the country I live (Sweden). Thinking of travelling to Poland, Spain or Italy (not finalised yet).

That sounds a lot of consultations, did you only get the genioplasty or something else as well? I thought genio will not require me staying for that long. I was planning to rent a place for 2 weeks or so, but if it needs to be 2 months, then I'd need to plan it better. Thanks for the detailed reply.
You sure there aren't orthognathic surgeons on Sweden ? Sounds suspicious. In that case, inform yourself with the surgeon of your choosing in one of those countries about how much post op consultations you are required to go. Say you are form afar and that you don't have infinite income to spend there after the surgery.

Remember that good surgeons aren't light on this and will make sure you have a good recovery, which is super important.

I did only genio, I traveled only 2 times prior to the surgery, one was to inform myself (always take time to think about it) and the second was to do the health exams and the TAC. 3rd time was the surgery and the rest is post op stuff. Traveling is prolly gonna get more expense that renting something I would guess, its up to you to choose that.

Just beware that you are gonna have additional costs that need to be covered.

• +1
Reactions: mattix and 11gaijin
You sure there aren't orthognathic surgeons on Sweden ? Sounds suspicious. In that case, inform yourself with the surgeon of your choosing in one of those countries about how much post op consultations you are required to go. Say you are form afar and that you don't have infinite income to spend there after the surgery.

Remember that good surgeons aren't light on this and will make sure you have a good recovery, which is super important.

I did only genio, I traveled only 2 times prior to the surgery, one was to inform myself (always take time to think about it) and the second was to do the health exams and the TAC. 3rd time was the surgery and the rest is post op stuff. Traveling is prolly gonna get more expense that renting something I would guess, its up to you to choose that.

Just beware that you are gonna have additional costs that need to be covered.
I have had a hard time finding any. Its weird, I can find maxfacs in other EU countries but cannot find any in Sweden, maybe they do not have websites/internet presence etc. Also I do want to go with a surgeon who has results and pics on the web and has credibility.

I would definitely discuss all this with the surgeon, thanks for the heads up.

Thanks a lot for the response!

• +1
Reactions: Timelessbrah
I have had a hard time finding any. Its weird, I can find maxfacs in other EU countries but cannot find any in Sweden, maybe they do not have websites/internet presence etc. Also I do want to go with a surgeon who has results and pics on the web and has credibility.

I would definitely discuss all this with the surgeon, thanks for the heads up.

Thanks a lot for the response!
Yeah, maybe it from Swden itself, impossible to know for sure.

Most surgeons have a lot of patient results before and after's but most of them don't want to be posted online due to privacy reasons. So watch out because the number of photos on their webpage is not a direct indicative that they are good or not.

You're welcome.

• +1
Reactions: 11gaijin