How to know when to stop using a skincare routine?

Kingcel32

Kingcel32

Solstice
Been on a routine for around 6-7 weeks now and so far no results. I know for the first 28 days I will get breakouts and stuff, but it’s been almost 2 weeks after that and I’m not noticing any gains, even minor ones.

Should I just be more patient with it? I am using a pretty extensive one tbh, So maybe that could be the reason. So should I just stop and switch to a simpler one? Or just keep going?

• +1
Reactions: Deleted member 19499
A lot of Skincare is preventative. Cleanser, Moisturizer, sunscreen they are all supposed to prevent breakouts/dry skin/aging. So it's hard to tell if it's working since you don't know how you'd look if you didn't do any of that stuff. If it's not causing any issues/stress just keep going with it.

Can you share your routine? Is your skin dry? Are you breaking out?

• +1
Reactions: Kingcel32
A lot of Skincare is preventative. Cleanser, Moisturizer, sunscreen they are all supposed to prevent breakouts/dry skin/aging. So it's hard to tell if it's working since you don't know how you'd look if you didn't do any of that stuff. If it's not causing any issues/stress just keep going with it.

Can you share your routine? Is your skin dry? Are you breaking out?
the only difference i've noticed is smoother skin to feel, especially when I first wake up. I did have breakouts and still get a pimple or two but that could be due to shaving, and my skin itches a bit but nothing serious.

I've been using korean products because their skincare seem to be more advanced and hydration focused

Double cleanse
exfoliate (two times a week)
Toner
Essence
serum
eye cream
moisturizer
sunscreen (if day)
lip balm

Take what I say with a grain of salt because i dont know exactly what ingredients your products contain. If this routine is hurting your wallet I would eliminate 2/3 of the following toner, essence or serum.

Toner was originally needed because old cleansers left the skin in a lower pH. Most cleansers these days don't have that problem. Could still be good for the skin but in most cases it's just a second essence.

Essence is really similar to a serum that's focused on hydration and is usually made to be more gentle (ie no harsh ingredients) and in a watery format.

Some things you can do if you want to take it to the next level...

Vitamin C - L-ascorbic acid or preferably one of It's derivatives

Retinol - some people say only Tretinoin works but I think on a longer term just an over the counter Retinol could work

Hyaluronic acid - very high chance this is in one of your toner/essence/serums already though.

"Slugging" - basically just using a semi thick layer Vaseline or heavy cream moisturizer on top of everything before bed. Traps moisture.

All in all though you might just need more time. It seems to be helping atleast a little bit. Keep doing what your doing. If you do want to change your routine just try and introduce one thing at a time. It's way easier to tell if something you're using is making a difference that way.

• +1
Reactions: aga04 and Kingcel32
Take what I say with a grain of salt because i dont know exactly what ingredients your products contain. If this routine is hurting your wallet I would eliminate 2/3 of the following toner, essence or serum.

Toner was originally needed because old cleansers left the skin in a lower pH. Most cleansers these days don't have that problem. Could still be good for the skin but in most cases it's just a second essence.

Essence is really similar to a serum that's focused on hydration and is usually made to be more gentle (ie no harsh ingredients) and in a watery format.

Some things you can do if you want to take it to the next level...

Vitamin C - L-ascorbic acid or preferably one of It's derivatives

Retinol - some people say only Tretinoin works but I think on a longer term just an over the counter Retinol could work

Hyaluronic acid - very high chance this is in one of your toner/essence/serums already though.

"Slugging" - basically just using a semi thick layer Vaseline or heavy cream moisturizer on top of everything before bed. Traps moisture.

All in all though you might just need more time. It seems to be helping atleast a little bit. Keep doing what your doing. If you do want to change your routine just try and introduce one thing at a time. It's way easier to tell if something you're using is making a difference that way.
Yeah my essence and serum are focused on reducing pore size, so they have niacinamide. I think I already do slugging because my moisturizer is very creamy. May try Retinol though