How to lose FAT / WEIGHT according to Ray Peat's Pro metabolic Approach

bussi

bussi

Iron
How Ray Peat Would Tell You to Lose Weight.

I've seen many people, memes, etc say "I tried the Ray Peat diet and I got fat"

If that was you, you were probably doing it wrong.

First off, there is no such thing as "The Ray Peat Diet" with that being said, here are some guidelines for someone looking to lose weight with a "Peaty" diet approach.

F6df5M XwAAjQc1

Macros:

If you are looking to lose weight, Ray would likely suggest keeping fat at or under 15% of total caloric intake.

Ray suggested that 100g protein was enough for most people.

The rest of your diet would be made up of carbs.

So, If your total caloric intake is currently 2500 calories, that would mean that you would consume:

PROTEIN: 100g / 400 calories / 15%

FAT: 42g / 375 calories / 15%

CARBS: 431g / 1724 calories / 70%

Picsart 24 06 19 14 16 06 063

FOOD CHOICES:

Ray suggested that someone looking to lose weight should have a low fat milk based diet. Milk is a good source of protein, carbs and fat (unless skim) and calcium. I would stick to 1% or skim to hit your macros.

Ray suggested that fruit was a better source of carbohydrates than starch because fruit increases metabolic rate and has less of an insulinogenic response, when compared to starch, meaning that it would be less likely to cause fat storage.

Ray believed that PUFAs (Seed oils, etc) damaged the metabolism and that saturated fats (butter, coconut oil, milk fat, beef fat, etc) were pro-thyroid / pro-metabolism.

Ray said that coconut oil improved metabolic rate and body heat production and a tsp or 2 per day could be useful for someone looking to lose weight.

Ray suggested that one should occasionally eat farm fresh eggs, beef liver and oysters, to be sure to get in all of the necessary micronutrients. I believe that one serving of each of these once per week would be sufficient.

Ray believed that meal frequency was important for proper metabolism / thyroid health and to prevent a rise in stress hormones. Someone looking to lose weight would likely want to eat something every 2-4 hours. I think every 3 hours is the sweet spot.

F8r6aVBbwAAmieW

That's about it. It's actually pretty simple. Base the majority of your diet around milk, fruit and saturated fat and then eat some occasional farm fresh eggs, oysters and beef liver. Maybe have a few spoons of coconut oil.

Most importantly, you would want to keep your fat intake at or under 15%. Protein could go up a bit if you regularly resistance train - that would mean that carbs would come down a bit.

These are just guidelines / recommendations That I have come across while studying the work of Ray Peat. There is no "Ray Peat Diet" and I'm sure Ray would not tell someone they had to do ONLY the above things if they wanted to lose weight.

If I were trying to follow a "Peaty" approach to weight loss, I would try to adhere to the food choices around 90% while being sure to stay at or under the 15% fat intake.

The only thing I can remember Ray being AGAINST eating was PUFAs.

• +1
Reactions: nevermind2, CarrotMaxxer, ALP and 1 other person
mirin thread