How to not be an idiot while gymcelling

ey88

ey88

Kraken
Train every muscle twice a week

Take 3 minutes rest between sets

Train every set close to failure (0-1 rir)

2 sets of compound, 2 sets of isolation for each muscle group on each exercise

Do every set in the 4-10 rep range

Don’t do any drop sets or other things similair

And most important pick exercises you enjoy and progress overload them

• +1
Reactions: halloweed, AF_21, N1666 and 1 other person
Bump :feelswhy:

• +1
Reactions: halloweed and Rzn
Water

• +1
Reactions: DNRDniggerking

You don't even need 2 sets of a compound, and 2 sets of an isolation for a muscle (4 sets total) in a workout.

Been following Paul Carter (who almost everyone on social media copies now for "optimal" training) for the longest time, and recently paid for training from one of the top bodybuilding coaches who advocates the same principles.

It's 1-2 sets/muscle (close or to failure) PER workout 2X week.

Meaning, for chest, it's 2xfailure smith incline on Monday, and 2xfailure pecdeck on Thursday.

That's it.

The more I've lowered my volume throughout my lifting career (with HIGH INTENSITY/TO FAILURE), the more growth I see. 20 sets/muscle, I made zero progress. 12, finally progress. 8, I made HUGE NOTICEABLE progress. Now, I'm doing just 4/week, and it makes sense this would work even better or at a minimum, just as well. Because the key to growth is PROGRESSIVE OVERLOAD (getting stronger), and since the first set produces the most growth stimulus, doing much more beyond that simply creates more fatigue which delays growth.

Doing high volume makes no sense. Similar to meatheads who do 6 different exercises for their chest. Your chest literally has two functions (pushing away from the body: PRESS, and moving arm across body: FLY). Both incline and flat press work upper and lower chest.

• +1
Reactions: NoaA99 and ey88
You don't even need 2 sets of a compound, and 2 sets of an isolation for a muscle (4 sets total) in a workout.

Been following Paul Carter (who almost everyone on social media copies now for "optimal" training) for the longest time, and recently paid for training from one of the top bodybuilding coaches who advocates the same principles.

Meaning, for chest, it's 2xfailure smith incline on Monday, and 2xfailure pecdeck on Thursday.

That's it.

The more I've lowered my volume throughout my lifting career (with HIGH INTENSITY/TO FAILURE), the more growth I see. 20 sets/muscle, I made zero progress. 12, finally progress. 8, I made HUGE NOTICEABLE progress. Now, I'm doing just 4/week, and it makes sense this would work even better or at a minimum, just as well. Because the key to growth is PROGRESSIVE OVERLOAD (getting stronger), and since the first set produces the most growth stimulus, doing much more beyond that simply creates more fatigue which delays growth.

Doing high volume makes no sense. Similar to meatheads who do 6 different exercises for their chest. Your chest literally has two functions (pushing away from the body: PRESS, and moving arm across body: FLY). Both incline and flat press work upper and lower chest.
Split dependant, for a ppl with 4 sleeps you can recover easily from 4 sets, for an upper lower, which it sounds like you’re doing if you are doing 4 workouts a week, doing 2 sets would be better.

• +1
Reactions: Rzn

That's it.

But I agree, and I love Paul Carter too, he’s who I get most of my gym advise from, I just don’t like doing upper lower and full body splits

• +1
Split dependant, for a ppl with 4 sleeps you can recover easily from 4 sets, for an upper lower, which it sounds like you’re doing if you are doing 4 workouts a week, doing 2 sets would be better.

ppl with 4 sleeps? You need to develop your grammar brother, because what you're saying is completely incoherent. Please elaborate on what you meant.

If you're saying someone doing a push pull legs with 2x week frequency could recover from 4 sets/muscle/session, but someone doing an upper lower with 2x week frequency, can only do 2 sets, that makes no sense.

The person doing a push pull legs would arguably have worse recovery due to being in the gym 6x week vs 4x week in the upper lower. They are also both hitting the same muscle in the same recovery window (2x week).

I'm not saying 4 sets couldn't be better for some people. But what I am saying is if it is, the difference would be very small. If those sets are genuinely taken to failure, I do see 1-2 sets being better than 4 for a lot of people. They will recover better while still providing a good growth stimulus, be able to add weight more frequently, and grow faster

• +1
Reactions: ey88

This is how I use to train except to failure every set. Still have heart palpitations to this day.

• +1
Reactions: halloweed
ppl with 4 sleeps? You need to develop your grammar brother, because what you're saying is completely incoherent. Please elaborate on what you meant.

If you're saying someone doing a push pull legs with 2x week frequency could recover from 4 sets/muscle/session, but someone doing an upper lower with 2x week frequency, can only do 2 sets, that makes no sense.

The person doing a push pull legs would arguably have worse recovery due to being in the gym 6x week vs 4x week in the upper lower. They are also both hitting the same muscle in the same recovery window (2x week).

I'm not saying 4 sets couldn't be better for some people. But what I am saying is if it is, the difference would be very small. If those sets are genuinely taken to failure, I do see 1-2 sets being better than 4 for a lot of people. They will recover better while still providing a good growth stimulus, be able to add weight more frequently, and grow faster
It actually isn’t the same because on an upper lower you are hitting every muscle group after only 3 sleeps while on a push pull legs you are hitting muscles every 4 sleeps.

Also Chris Beardsley, who Paul Carter works with, says you can recover from from 8-10 sets after 4 days, and 6 sets after 3 days.

But I agree doing 2 sets a workout is fine

• +1
Reactions: halloweed and Rzn
It actually isn’t the same because on an upper lower you are hitting every muscle group after only 3 sleeps while on a push pull legs you are hitting muscles every 4 sleeps.

Also Chris Beardsley, who Paul Carter works with, says you can recover from from 8-10 sets after 4 days, and 6 sets after 3 days.

But I agree doing 2 sets a workout is fine

This is something each individual is going to have to experiment with (Volume, Frequency) which is why Paul is adamant about him never telling someone exactly the number of sets they need.

If 4 sets for a muscle every 5 days on a push pull legs gets you better strength gains than 1-2 sets every 4 days, you will grow better. But if your strength gains are worse, or even non-existent, dropping down to 1-2 would most likely enhance recovery allowing you to get stronger and grow better.

You're probably familiar with TNF as well. He does a push pull legs with 4 sets to failure/muscle/session, and grows incredibly well off that. It did work well for me as well, but I found after some time, that with my personal intensity and recoverability, even that amount lead to strength plateaus due to fatigue.

• +1

You seem pretty knowledgeable tho bro, I am working on a full body split for when my uni starts, could I dm you it, I don’t know how to program full body yet so I could use advice

• +1
You seem pretty knowledgeable tho bro, I am working on a full body split for when my uni starts, could I dm you it, I don’t know how to program full body yet so I could use advice

Yes. You're more than welcome to, but I highly recommend joining either Paul Carter's, or Ryan Jewer's training teams. Ryan's is only $31/month ("Optimal Bros"), and the first week is free. He gives weekly workouts, answers questions, and is a hypertrophy training wizard.

If you aren't familiar with Ryan, look him up on tiktok, or IG. He's legit

Last edited:
  • +1
This is something each individual is going to have to experiment with (Volume, Frequency) which is why Paul is adamant about him never telling someone exactly the number of sets they need.

If 4 sets for a muscle every 5 days on a push pull legs gets you better strength gains than 1-2 sets every 4 days, you will grow better. But if your strength gains are worse, or even non-existent, dropping down to 1-2 would most likely enhance recovery allowing you to get stronger and grow better.

You're probably familiar with TNF as well. He does a push pull legs with 4 sets to failure/muscle/session, and grows incredibly well off that. It did work well for me as well, but I found after some time, that with my personal intensity and recoverability, even that amount lead to strength plateaus due to fatigue.
Yes I agree, I used to do an upper lower as well, I did danger trudels dc training split with 2 sets for each muscle a session, I just didn’t enjoy having a full day for legs every second workout, but I did make good progress

• +1
Yes. You're more than welcome to, but I highly recommend joining either Paul Carter's, or Ryan Jewer's training teams. Ryan's is only $31/month, and the first week is free. He gives weekly workouts, answers questions, and is a hypertrophy training wizard.

If you aren't familiar with Ryan, look him up on tiktok, or IG. He's legit
Yes I am a fan of him, I just don’t wanna spend any money, have you bought his program?

• +1
Yes I am a fan of him, I just don’t wanna spend any money, have you bought his program?

I did a free trial of "Optimal Bros". Understand in life, that the price of learning is you either pay with your time, or money.

You can spend years researching, experimenting, and making mistakes yourself, or invest and pay someone very little to skyrocket your progress. This applies not only to fitness, but all areas such as financial success.

The average CEO reads 60 books/year and attends 10 paid conferences. The average person reads less than 1 book/year. Invest your finances and time into knowledge, because knowledge truly is power in life.

• +1
Reactions: Yerico7, Deleted member 74410 and ey88
low volume & high intensity is key

• +1
I did a free trial of "Optimal Bros". Understand in life, that the price of learning is you either pay with your time, or money.

You can spend years researching, experimenting, and making mistakes yourself, or invest and pay someone very little to skyrocket your progress. This applies not only to fitness, but all areas such as financial success.

The average CEO reads 60 books/year and attends 10 paid conferences. The average person reads less than 1 book/year. Invest your finances and time into knowledge, because knowledge truly is power in life.
Good one bhaiya

• JFL
I can’t take a 3 minute rest between sets as it’s too awkward. I’m just standing around doing nothing in that moment, and if I’m on my phone I have nothing to scroll through

• +1
I can’t take a 3 minute rest between sets as it’s too awkward. I’m just standing around doing nothing in that moment, and if I’m on my phone I have nothing to scroll through
Just go on .org lol, I’m at the gym rn

• +1
Reactions: N1666
Just go on .org lol, I’m at the gym rn
That’s what I was doing, but then I get paranoid and think people are looking at my screen and due to how mainstream looksmaxxing has gone that they will somehow recognise this site and think im a loser.

• JFL
That’s what I was doing, but then I get paranoid and think people are looking at my screen and due to how mainstream looksmaxxing has gone that they will somehow recognise this site and think im a loser.
Fuck it’s so over fuck my life

• JFL
This is how I use to train except to failure every set. Still have heart palpitations to this day.
Damn I had palpitations since lockdown and my mum keeps telling me its all in my head.

• +1
Reactions: sb23 and ey88