How to recognize lower eyelid laxity

NZb6Air

NZb6Air

Kraken
As you know I keep saying lower scleral show is most of the time of bony origin (upper maxillary deficiency) which seems to be an unpopular opinion.

This is how you test it¹:

Test 1 :

With your thumb and index pull the lower lid away from the eye (to the side) and then release it to see how quickly it snaps back. If the lid doesn't snap back quickly or moves too far from the eye then it's too lose.

Test 2 :

Now with your index gently pull it down , if it's slow on release it then there's laxity of the canthal tendons.

If your lid returned quickly both times then you should never got soft tissue work (blepharoplasty, eyelid retraction (🤢), etc.)

¹Tenzel RR . Complications of blepharoplasty: orbital hematoma, ectropion and scleral show . Clin Plast Surg 1981 ; 8 ( 4 ): 797 - 802

• +1
Reactions: ey88, TechnoBoss, GreekGenes and 2 others
wait so im confused
returns quickly = better or worse?

• Hmm...
  • +1
Reactions: NZb6Air and truthhurts
How tf is that confusing, if it returns quickly then it's good (your shit isn't loose)
sorry, its 6:45 am, im half braindead

• JFL
Reactions: NZb6Air
returned quickly on both the times guess its not over

• +1

Good post but there seems to be a difference in the laxity of the skin of the lower eyelid and the tendons around the eye. Because I pass both tests, but the elasticity of my lower eyelid is noticeably subpar due to the poor collagen and elastin.

• +1
reformulate this
you mean rephrase what I said? If so what I mean is the skin in the tear through region up to the lower eye lid is noticeable lax. Due to poor collagen and elastin in that area. Which causes wrinkles/skin folds and dark circles

• +1
you mean rephrase what I said? If so what I mean is the skin in the tear through region up to the lower eye lid is noticeable lax. Due to poor collagen and elastin in that area. Which causes wrinkles/skin folds and dark circles
pm me a pic