How to use palate expander

Deleted member 6403

Deleted member 6403

Made It Out The Hood
I recently ordered a palate expander from bracesshop.

How many turns am I supposed to do daily? How long do I wear it for?

I have some crowding. Will I need braces afterwards?

• JFL
Reactions: Deleted member 7776 and maxmendietta
OP's room temperature IQ confirmed

go to an orthodontist smh

If you ever try to install your own expander, you're probably below 50 IQ tbh. Maybe looks aren't your biggest issue

• +1
Reactions: MentalistKebab
If you ever try to install your own expander, you're probably below 50 IQ tbh. Maybe looks aren't your biggest issue

its not hard. all I did was give bracesshop my impressions lmao

• +1
Reactions: Drakos and Vitruvian
one turn a day keeps the maxillial collapse away

• +1
Reactions: Deleted member 6403

If you know what your intermolar width is, it is much easier. How much do you want to expand? The average archaic human's intermolar width was in the high 40's, low 50's measured in millimetres, you can base it off that.

If you did impressions for your palate expander, the company will usually send back a mold, so you can measure using that if you have one.

Mike Mew used a palate expander on a woman in her 30's, and recommended 1mm of expansion a week. Email the company and ask how many millimetres one turn of the expansion key gives.

Edit: Yes you will probably need braces after, especially if a diastema forms in-between your front teeth.

Last edited:
  • +1
If you know what your intermolar width is, it is much easier. How much do you want to expand? The average archaic human's intermolar width was in the high 40's, low 50's measured in millimetres, you can base it off that.

If you did impressions for your palate expander, the company will usually send back a mold, so you can measure using that if you have one.

Mike Mew used a palate expander on a woman in her 30's, and recommended 1mm of expansion a week. Email the company and ask how many millimetres one turn of the expansion key gives.

Edit: Yes you will probably need braces after, especially if a diastema forms in-between your front teeth.

I measured twice rn and i got 50mm yet my canine overlaps and i have buccal corridors.

I want to expand enough so both those problems are solved.

just go to an orthodontist m8

I measured twice rn and i got 50mm yet my canine overlaps and i have buccal corridors.

I want to expand enough so both those problems are solved.
Oh I see, you have good intermolar width, it must be your intercanine width that is lacking.

As long as you are fine with a slight increase in intermolar, just use the palate expander until you feel the issues have disappeared.

• +1
Oh I see, you have good intermolar width, it must be your intercanine width that is lacking.

As long as you are fine with a slight increase in intermolar, just use the palate expander until you feel the issues have disappeared.

Ok sounds good, is 1mm a week fine for me as well?

Ok sounds good, is 1mm a week fine for me as well?
Yes, perhaps slightly slower at around 0.5mm if you are looking for purely movement of the teeth and not skeletal changes.

Last edited:
  • +1

remember to keep your lower and upper teeth together so your mandible will grow too

• +1
you can do it yourself, but i recommend going to an ortho, because you’ll have a big gap after. if you are only going to expand by a few mm youll be able to live with the gap.

have you got the molor bands and turning key with it? how old are you? any pictures of your palate and the expander? whats your IMW? whats your goal to increase? what type of malocclusion do you have, if any?

I had palate expansion and reverse headgear when I was 6-7 years old.
I remember my mother having to put a key and turning it 2 times each day.
It was very painful, to be quite honest.
I had it installed for a number of months if I remember correctly.
Not sure if you need more since you are older.

you can do it yourself, but i recommend going to an ortho, because you’ll have a big gap after. if you are only going to expand by a few mm youll be able to live with the gap.

have you got the molor bands and turning key with it? how old are you? any pictures of your palate and the expander? whats your IMW? whats your goal to increase? what type of malocclusion do you have, if any?

I'm only expecting to expand a couple of mm's.

Its a removable one so I don't have molar bands and yea I got a turning key. I'm 17. It's the simplest one off of BracesShop.

I'm 50mm currently while measuring from my second to last molar. I have very minor crowding on lower teeth, then on my upper teeth, I have an overlapping canine that pushes down on my lateral incisor and premolar.

I'm only expecting to expand a couple of mm's.

Its a removable one so I don't have molar bands and yea I got a turning key. I'm 17. It's the simplest one off of BracesShop.

I'm 50mm currently while measuring from my second to last molar. I have very minor crowding on lower teeth, then on my upper teeth, I have an overlapping canine that pushes down on my lateral incisor and premolar.
Why do u need expander when u have 50 imw

go to the orthodontist u cheap bitch

• +1
Reactions: Carlodcx96