I become so demoralized when getting intermittently reminded by the fact that people die

D

Deleted member 51576

✝️ DEUS VULT ✝️
I am unable to comprehend it. My neighbor just died from complications secondary to end stage renal disease and it completely ruined my day because he was always there and existing and living life until he wasn’t, and he now lays in a wooden casket below the dirt of earth. Of course he isn’t there in that casket as if it is a state of being. His physical body has been defiled and corrupted. He does not exist any more.

Death is so heavy for me to bear. I ultimately do not understand it and if I think long enough about it, I start to feel an existential crisis coming. People live all their lives, and you see them every day until they all of a sudden do not exist any more. They just disappear.

• +1
Reactions: murdah
at least ur christian and believes u might see them again. as an agnostic its even harder as i think it’s more likely they’re just gone deleted from existence and will never be seen again

• +1
Reactions: murdah and Deleted member 51576
at least ur christian and believes u might see them again. as an agnostic its even harder as i think it’s more likely they’re just gone deleted from existence and will never be seen again
Yes, religion can rationalize away much of death but also….not really, because we, the living, have not tasted death. Our understanding of the afterlife is based on scripture and faith but there is still nothing tangible for us to grasp to and fall back on because it’s so (literally) otherworldly and abstract.

It’s good to have faith, but the misery and emptiness of death affects the religious just as much in my opinion.