I just had the most rage-inducing conversation with my mother about colonialism

D

Deleted member 22099

I used to not get sick.
For context I am from Ireland, a country that never colonised anywhere and was colonised by Britain.

I said to her that everyone talks about the Holocaust and trans-atlantic slavery in relation to atrocities of the past, and although some people with a semi-average knowledge of history bring up what the Turks or Japs did, no-one every mentions what happened to the native Americans, and the reason is because they're all dead.

We had an interesting discussion for a while until she said "It's so horrible what we did."

I said that we didn't do anything, and that even if our ancestors did (which they most likely didn't) we wouldn't bear responsibility. And she said that we are guilty because we are white and have a European culture.

GUILTY OF WHAT? that is literally assigning guilt to someone because of the colour of their skin and their culture; plain racism.

If your father was a serial killer does that make you a bad person?

That's like when Christians say that the Jews killed Jesus

She said never forget what the English did to us even though we ourselves never suffered and very few English people alive today had anything to do with colonising our country.

On top of that colonialism arguably benefitted Ireland; if we weren't colonised we wouldn't speak English and wouldn't have had any industry or infrastructure until the 20th century; we would have the same GDP and living standards as other peripheral European countries like Portugal or Greece.

The classic "
What have the Romans ever done for us?"

Snapchat 866465316

I said to her that I don't like that blame and guilt mentality because I see it a lot in Irish people; they don't trust English people and make jokes about them but if an English person does the same thing Irish people get mad.

I remember I saw a reddit thread on r/Ireland where a guy working in England was complaining about how he got in trouble for making a joke about English people; if an English person made a joke about Irish people he would be offended, it's a complete double standard. The same way blacks in America hate white people but think it's not racist, but if a white person said they hated black people they would think they're a white supremacist.

She then got really annoyed at me and stormed off. WTF

This is American white liberal logic in 2023, it's widespread in Europe now, it's over for the Western world.

@Xangsane @Prettyboy @TRUE_CEL @Manu le coq @human304 @klip11 @Beastimmung @the BULL

@PrinceLuenLeoncur
@Pretty
@HarrierDuBois thoughts?

Last edited:
  • +1
Reactions: T50 Mogger, Prettyboy, hattrick and 2 others
I see her side

Women will be womening.

• +1
Reactions: Primalsplit and klip11
I see her side
Fr? What's the logic? It's very unlikely that our ancestors ever participated in slavery or colonialism, do we still bear the guilt of that from being white?

Fr? What's the logic? It's very unlikely that our ancestors ever participated in slavery or colonialism, do we still bear the guilt of that from being white?
I get where she's coming from

• +1
Reactions: Deleted member 22099
I get where she's coming from
I just think we shouldn't hold anyone guilty because of things they didn't impact and can't change

• +1
Reactions: Prettyboy and Xangsane
For context I am from Ireland, a country that never colonised anywhere and was colonised by Britain.

I said to her that everyone talks about the Holocaust and trans-atlantic slavery in relation to atrocities of the past, and although some people with a semi-average knowledge of history bring up what the Turks or Japs did, no-one every mentions what happened to the native Americans, and the reason is because they're all dead.

We had an interesting discussion for a while until she said "It's so horrible what we did."

I said that we didn't do anything, and that even if our ancestors did (which they most likely didn't) we wouldn't bear responsibility. And she said that we are guilty because we are white and have a European culture.

GUILTY OF WHAT? that is literally assigning guilt to someone because of the colour of their skin and their culture; plain racism.

She said never forget what the English did to us even though we ourselves never suffered and very few English people alive today had anything to do with colonising our country.

On top of that colonialism arguably benefitted Ireland; if we weren't colonised we wouldn't speak English and wouldn't have had any industry or infrastructure until the 20th century; we would have the same GDP and living standards as other peripheral European countries like Portugal or Greece.

The classic "

View attachment 2307501

I said to her that I don't like that blame and guilt mentality because I see it a lot in Irish people; they don't trust English people and make jokes about them but if an English person does the same thing Irish people get mad.

I remember I saw a reddit thread on r/Ireland where a guy working in England was complaining about how he got in trouble for making a joke about English people; if an English person made a joke about Irish people he would be offended, it's a complete double standard. The same way blacks in America hate white people but think it's not racist, but if a white person said they hated black people they would think they're a white supremacist.

This is American white liberal logic in 2023, it's widespread in Europe now, it's over for the Western world.

@Xangsane @Prettyboy @TRUE_CEL @Manu le coq @human304 @klip11 @Beastimmung @the BULL

@PrinceLuenLeoncur
@Pretty
@HarrierDuBois thoughts?

People who say that all whites are guilty because of the actions of some whites (who they are not related to outside of being the same race) wouldn't even want to take responsibility for the actions of their own children or parents.

If you went out and robbed a liquor store at gunpoint, she would scream bloody murder if we arrested her and charged her for your crime. She's your mother and believes she shouldn't be responsible for your actions but on the other hand believes you should be responsible for the actions of an unrelated white man who died 100 years ago.

• +1
Reactions: Primalsplit and Deleted member 22099

The classic "

View attachment 2307501

@PrinceLuenLeoncur
@Pretty
@HarrierDuBois thoughts?

Woke Liberal Women.

Committing suicide thinking its good for the world.

Last edited:

The classic "

View attachment 2307501

@PrinceLuenLeoncur
@Pretty
@HarrierDuBois thoughts?

Over for her tbh. My mom is the opposite, she absolutely despises ethnics and views European culture above all else. She is one of the most based woman I know, I probably inherited my views from her (as my father isn’t vocal about this topic).

• +1
  • Hmm...
Reactions: T50 Mogger, Deleted member 22099, Primalsplit and 1 other person
It happened centuries ago you can’t blame white people alive today for this the best that can happen is they help the countries they demolished the past is the past

It happened centuries ago you can’t blame white people alive today for this the best that can happen is they help the countries they demolished the past is the past
There was nothing to be demolished as those “countries” (many African and Middle Eastern territories didn’t even reach statehood at the time) were shithole when Europeans arrived. They improved some things but when they left the places reverted back to the shithole they always were, so nothing changed.

Always cagefuel to see railroads built by Europeans in the 1900s in Africa crumble as locals in their now independent countries have no idea how to maintain the advanced level infrastructure.

• +1
Reactions: T50 Mogger
There was nothing to be demolished as those “countries” (many African and Middle Eastern territories didn’t even reach statehood at the time) were shithole when Europeans arrived. They improved some things but when they left the places reverted back to the shithole they always were, so nothing changed.
I speak of the fuck ton of stuff they stole

• +1
Reactions: Prettyboy
I speak of the fuck ton of stuff they stole
Artefacts should be given back to their origin countries once that country is developed enough that they can be a responsible owner of the item. Until Islamists destroy millenia old ruins in Iraq, stuff with historical value is better kept in civilized places like the British Museum or the Pergamonmuseum.

• Love it
Reactions: T50 Mogger