If you have bruxism or clench your teeth…

Matheus

Matheus

Mistral
…you should seriously stop. Enlarges your masseters in a very unaesthetic way and makes you look like a fucking chipmunk (+ dental wear). I had it before and stopped in 2 days flat, now my masseters are pretty normal again.

You'll call this cope, but mewing is what actually helped me stop. You can't clench your teeth unless you do it consciously while mewing, since your tongue is the antagonistic muscle of the masseters. Also obviously it helps being conscious of this bad habit.
If you have bruxism at night try mewing during your sleep, it can take a few months though.

You'll say mewing is cope and it is if you need +2 cm of forward growth, but for teeth clenching it's 100% legit.

• +1
Reactions: Cope>rope, Schönling, Ocelot and 3 others
I wonder if it's the constant clench that gives an unaesthetic look, because people who chew thick gum usually get more aesthetic masseters.

• +1
Reactions: TheBiggestIncelEver, Deleted member 15854, Lux and 3 others
I wonder if it's the constant clench that gives an unaesthetic look, because people who chew thick gum usually get more aesthetic masseters.

Idk, I think it just puts the muscles in a constant state of stress and makes them bloated. At least that's what it looked like on me. I have naturally big masseters because big diet and although it prevents me from having sunken cheeks it's much more aesthetic. Also I lost volume fast so I think it's just tension and congestion = bloating, not muscle build up

• +1
Reactions: sensen
Idk, I think it just puts the muscles in a constant state of stress and makes them bloated. At least that's what it looked like on me. I have naturally big masseters because big diet and although it prevents me from having sunken cheeks it's much more aesthetic. Also I lost volume fast so I think it's just tension and congestion = bloating, not muscle build up
Yeah, I'm about to start chewing hard/more so I just wanted to see if others agreed with me here. Holding that clench could never be healthy. Everything needs balance.

• +1
Reactions: PYT
lmao how mewing is gonna stop it it's not like you place your tongue on top of your teeth idiot

Is it a coincidence that I have an underbite and I am a front teeth clencher? I think not.

Last edited:
  • +1
Reactions: Matheus
lmao how mewing is gonna stop it it's not like you place your tongue on top of your teeth idiot

Obvious low IQ how do you stop a closing movement of your arm ? By activating the triceps which is its antagonistic muscle. How then do you prevent your masseters from closing your jaw subconsciously ? By sticking its antagonistic muscle, the tongue, as much as you can on the palate = mewing.

Mew has actually made a (long, boring and unclear) video about this subject :

• +1
  • JFL
Reactions: AverageTevvezEnjoyr, Debetro, Patient A and 2 others
Is it a coincidence that I have an underbite and I am a front teeth clencher? I think not.

I don't now tbh, but if you have underbite + are clenching your teeth I would be extremely wary about your TMJ. You should get both fixed ASAP (i know water is wet)

• +1
Reactions: PYT and Deleted member 8846
Obvious low IQ how do you stop a closing movement of your arm ? By activating the triceps which is its antagonistic muscle. How then do you prevent your masseters from closing your jaw subconsciously ? By sticking its antagonistic muscle, the tongue, as much as you can on the palate = mewing.

pretty sure people with bruxism put their tongue on the palate there's literally no where else to go

tbh masseters can look good imo, they do contribute to cheek hollowing too. Together with a big neck and hollow cheeks they gave me a night and day difference in dimorphism for my front profile. My lower jaw is considerably wider and more square looking. Problem is just, that the zygos are now too narrow compared to my lower third.

• +1
Reactions: 123abc, Need2Ascend, Matheus and 1 other person
…you should seriously stop. Enlarges your masseters in a very unaesthetic way and makes you look like a fucking chipmunk (+ dental wear). I had it before and stopped in 2 days flat, now my masseters are pretty normal again.

You'll call this cope, but mewing is what actually helped me stop. You can't clench your teeth unless you do it consciously while mewing, since your tongue is the antagonistic muscle of the masseters. Also obviously it helps being conscious of this bad habit.
If you have bruxism at night try mewing during your sleep, it can take a few months though.

You'll say mewing is cope and it is if you need +2 cm of forward growth, but for teeth clenching it's 100% legit.
Nigga how the hell do you mew when you sleep?

• +1
Reactions: Mouthbreath
pretty sure people with bruxism put their tongue on the palate there's literally no where else to go

Wdym ? I personally used to clench my teeth when doing anything that remotely needed some rapid muscle movement (one big example was when towel drying my hair). I've always naturally put a big part of my tongue on my palate but when clenching my tongue would drop to the bottom of my mouth. Once I started to pick up the habit of always putting it on the palate even down the back 3rd I stopped. It's subconscious really, I barely noticed myself clenching my teeth before.

tbh masseters can look good imo, they do contribute to cheek hollowing too. Together with a big neck and hollow cheeks they gave me a night and day difference in dimorphism for my front profile. My lower jaw is considerably wider and more square looking. Problem is just, that the zygos are now too narrow compared to my lower third.
Brad Pitt and Zyzz are great examples of how masseters can halo

• +1
  • Love it
Reactions: Deleted member 15854, Matheus and Mouthbreath

Yes that's a common problem and I had it when clenching my teeth my jaw was so fucking wide and bloated, more than my zygos. It looks unnatural when the jaw is larger than the zygos so I don't think you have to gain by continuing to chew. Chewing helps if you have either a soft diet or a narrow jaw. My masseters are too wide (I have a wide jaw bone anyway) and it definetely prevents my cheeks from being more hollow. I've noticed them becoming more hollow when my jaw lost bloat due to me stopping my clenching.

Nigga how the hell do you mew when you sleep?

Once mewing becomes a habit during the day you will gradually pick it up during the night too. It's just adopting proper tongue posture

• +1
Reactions: kurd
Once mewing becomes a habit during the day you will gradually pick it up during the night too. It's just adopting proper tongue posture
It just takes a long time to engrain that crap into your head. I've been mewing on and off (not religiously) for probably about a year now. I'm trying to get serious with it but it's hard when everytime I fall a sleep I wake up with my mouth open

• +1
Is 2 cm forward growth a lot?

• JFL
Reactions: Deleted member 15854
Brad Pitt and Zyzz are great examples of how masseters can halo

Yep but it mustn't be excessive. Pics when I clenched :
IMG 0317 IMG 0321

Once I stopped :

IMG 0397 2

The pics are poor for the sake of comparison and they don't do justice to how absolutely unaesthetic it looked. You can see the curve was unnatural as fuck, with the muscle extending the jaw outward more than the zygos. Clenching / bruxism / excessive chewing can give you that.

Last edited:
  • +1
Reactions: oxymoron
It just takes a long time to engrain that crap into your head. I've been mewing on and off (not religiously) for probably about a year now. I'm trying to get serious with it but it's hard when everytime I fall a sleep I wake up with my mouth open

Try taping your mouth (dedsrs) ? It doesn't work if you're a nose breather but don't mew properly, but if you're a mouth breather it might just work. I know Mike Mew recommends it but idk personally, you should give it a try

Is 2 cm forward growth a lot?

Idk I just threw a random measurement to show my point but just by imagining 2cm would look fucking huge I think

• +1
Reactions: Copemaxxing
Is there anything else you can do if that doesn't work, like fold a cloth (so you can't swallow it) and put it between your teeth? Can you sleep with your fingers in your mouth so you will wake up before you clench or will you damage your fingers? Because I have to prioritize not clenching before I focus on mewing at night, I'm not sure mewing is helping in my case.

• +1
Is there anything else you can do if that doesn't work, like fold a cloth (so you can't swallow it) and put it between your teeth? Can you sleep with your fingers in your mouth so you will wake up before you clench or will you damage your fingers? Because I have to prioritize not clenching before I focus on mewing at night, I'm not sure mewing is helping in my case.

I wouldn't advise putting your finger in your mouth at night it might be uncomfortable tbh. Folding a cloth is a good idea, it's basically the equivalent of having a mouth guard, mostly it prevents dental wear. It can help but idk if this will be enough to stop the jaw muscles from becoming tense thus inducing clenching.
That's why mewing is effective, because it forces the jaw muscles (masseters) to relax by opposing them an equal force (antagonistic muscle). Mewing at night would help in your case if you could pick up the habit, in the meanwhile folding a cloth or having a nightguard is a very good idea. I didn't clench at night so idk about this particular case but it's true it's a lot more complicated. I know dentists can inject botox to partially atrophy the muscle but it's only temporary if you don't stop the habit.

Also, for night clenching (as well as day clenching but it's even more true for the night version), you should try to work on stress. Practice good sleep hygiene, relax before bed (prayer, meditation, etc), get a good diet, and basically have a good life hygiene. It helps a lot.

• +1
Reactions: theanonymousone
I wouldn't advise putting your finger in your mouth at night it might be uncomfortable tbh. Folding a cloth is a good idea, it's basically the equivalent of having a mouth guard, mostly it prevents dental wear. It can help but idk if this will be enough to stop the jaw muscles from becoming tense thus inducing clenching.
That's why mewing is effective, because it forces the jaw muscles (masseters) to relax by opposing them an equal force (antagonistic muscle). Mewing at night would help in your case if you could pick up the habit, in the meanwhile folding a cloth or having a nightguard is a very good idea. I didn't clench at night so idk about this particular case but it's true it's a lot more complicated. I know dentists can inject botox to partially atrophy the muscle but it's only temporary if you don't stop the habit.

Also, for night clenching (as well as day clenching but it's even more true for the night version), you should try to work on stress. Practice good sleep hygiene, relax before bed (prayer, meditation, etc), get a good diet, and basically have a good life hygiene. It helps a lot.

Thanks, yes I think I'll try magnesium after I talk with my doctor.

So your masseters aren't supposed to move AT ALL when you swallow? Because I put my fingers on my masseters when I swallow and it flexes veeery slightly, but nothing like if I flex them on purpose.

Thanks, yes I think I'll try magnesium after I talk with my doctor.

So your masseters aren't supposed to move AT ALL when you swallow? Because I put my fingers on my masseters when I swallow and it flexes veeery slightly, but nothing like if I flex them on purpose.

The masseter muscles move when you chew (obviously) but when you pay attention, if you chew properly, it's the tongue that stops the movement by pushing on the palate thus creating an opposing force to the masseter and preventing too much masticatory force from causing dental wear and clenching. When you swallow they're supposed to move afaik, I know mine do because my jaw drops to allow the food to come behind my tongue but it's not excessive. Btw make sure you swallow properly (see Mew's videos) my creating a seal with the tongue on the roof of your mouth (which is what creates hollow cheeks bc of buccinator muscle disuse).

The mechanism is the same and you should notice that you cannot clench your teeth without at least reducing the force your tongue applies to the palate ; that's because the tongue is the antagonistic muscle of the masseters, much like you can't flex your biceps if you don't relax your triceps. In the instances when I used to clench unconsciously (bc clenching usually isn't conscious) my tongue would always drop to the bottom of my mouth. By forcing myself to mew at all times my jaw couldn't clench and press on the teeth and thus relaxed itself over time. That's why I say that getting the habit of mewing, so that you mew even at night (which maximizes the force the tongue applies to the palate), solves the issue of unconsciously clenching your teeth. Obviously this goes hand in hand with having proper postural habits ; as @bertcel said the issues are usually intertwined. He has an underbite and clenches prob because his tongue sits at the bottom of this mouth, so no counter-force to the clenching + when swallowing he probably tongue thrusts thus causing underbite.

• +1

Ignore him, he is literally one of the most retarded/troll users on the site.

• +1
The masseter muscles move when you chew (obviously) but when you pay attention, if you chew properly, it's the tongue that stops the movement by pushing on the palate thus creating an opposing force to the masseter and preventing too much masticatory force from causing dental wear and clenching. When you swallow they're supposed to move afaik, I know mine do because my jaw drops to allow the food to come behind my tongue but it's not excessive. Btw make sure you swallow properly (see Mew's videos) my creating a seal with the tongue on the roof of your mouth (which is what creates hollow cheeks bc of buccinator muscle disuse).

The mechanism is the same and you should notice that you cannot clench your teeth without at least reducing the force your tongue applies to the palate ; that's because the tongue is the antagonistic muscle of the masseters, much like you can't flex your biceps if you don't relax your triceps. In the instances when I used to clench unconsciously (bc clenching usually isn't conscious) my tongue would always drop to the bottom of my mouth. By forcing myself to mew at all times my jaw couldn't clench and press on the teeth and thus relaxed itself over time. That's why I say that getting the habit of mewing, so that you mew even at night (which maximizes the force the tongue applies to the palate), solves the issue of unconsciously clenching your teeth. Obviously this goes hand in hand with having proper postural habits ; as @bertcel said the issues are usually intertwined. He has an underbite and clenches prob because his tongue sits at the bottom of this mouth, so no counter-force to the clenching + when swallowing he probably tongue thrusts thus causing underbite.

Thanks, I'm surprised there's no appliance to train you not to clench, maybe it would be almost like a retainer but with a slightly pointy thing that if you clench it would cause pain and wake you up. I guess when I fall asleep I stop mewing or something because sometimes I wake up clenching, although it used to be worse.

I clench my teeth at night and honestly I think that's the only thing that led me to have decent lateral zygos projection.

Thanks, I'm surprised there's no appliance to train you not to clench, maybe it would be almost like a retainer but with a slightly pointy thing that if you clench it would cause pain and wake you up. I guess when I fall asleep I stop mewing or something because sometimes I wake up clenching, although it used to be worse.

Idk if it would be really effective and man you would have quite some rough nights. Could be effective for day clenching though.
Clenching is a combination of improper tongue posture + stress and other external factors + habit the way I see it. The best you can do while trying to get into the habit of proper tongue posture is to try to reduce stress and other contributing factors, as well as trying to reduce dental wear with mouth guards and such. Also if you clench during the day try to stop because the night clenching can be a habit too

But really taking the habit of mewing can't take as little as 1 or 2 weeks if you're serious about it and have some time and once it's done it's for life so IMO worth taking seriously

• +1
I clench my teeth at night and honestly I think that's the only thing that led me to have decent lateral zygos projection.

I don't think it has anything to do with it, clenching overworks your masseter muscles not your zygomatics even less your zygomatic bones. Clenching gives you a very unaesthetic, large jaw that makes your head looks weird and square

I don't think it has anything to do with it, clenching overworks your masseter muscles not your zygomatics even less your zygomatic bones. Clenching gives you a very unaesthetic, large jaw that makes your head looks weird and square
Bro please help me with this I'm 15 and this Bruxism and TMJ is making me suicidal

• +1
  • So Sad
Reactions: Deleted member 15854 and Deleted member 11053
Bro please help me with this I'm 15 and this Bruxism and TMJ is making me suicidal
Same crazy how it ruined my life

• +1
Same crazy how it ruined my life
I'm going crazy because I don't want it to ruin my life, can't find any solution

• So Sad
Reactions: Deleted member 11053
I'm going crazy because I don't want it to ruin my life, can't find any solution
I hope you find one before you end up like me cause im telling you after there is no solution its over.

• +1
I hope you find one before you end up like me cause im telling you after there is no solution its over.
Me too bro, I hope you find a solution yours aswell. We'll make it in the end son

• +1
Reactions: Deleted member 11053
Me too bro, I hope you find a solution yours aswell. We'll make it in the end son
Its over for me bro i lost bone mass can't even recognize my face

• So Sad
Reactions: Deleted member 15854
WE NEED TO FUCKING FIND A SOLUTION FOR THIS SHIT