if you make 50k a year, how much would you have in savings usually per year?

If that's after tax, probably around $44k. I'm a shut in, so after food/bills are paid, I wouldn't spend anything.

Last edited:
If you pay for food and rent, 70-90% of your paycheck will be gone every month

If youre a subhuman who lives with parents, it should be easy to save at least 30k+ if you're a careful spender

• +1
Reactions: Deleted member 245
I make 59k a year pre-tax, about 5k goes into retirement, and instead of doing trainload "savings", I overpay my mortgage and car payment to save money on interest and I consider that an investment. I have a small savings account for a emergencies.

I lived with my parents for 10 months after college and saved 20k in 10 months when I had no bills.

If you pay for food and rent, 70-90% of your paycheck will be gone every month

If youre a subhuman who lives with parents, it should be easy to save at least 30k+ if you're a careful spender

Would rather spend 1k per month on a 2 bedroom apartment then live with my parents tbh

unless you eat cheap unhealthy food, live in a very cheap apartment, dont have a car, you can only save about 1k a month

Would work for 5-10 years
Save like a monk
Move to cheap place like Ukraine or SA
Retire

you can live with your parents to save up a lot

If you pay rent or a mortgage, economists recommend saving 20% of your after-tax income every paycheque on average
So if you're taking home like $44,000 and you get paid biweekly, 26 times per year, that's $1,692 after taxes every 2 weeks. So save 20% of that: $338 every two weeks.
So you direct deposit your paystub to your chequing account. And then you set up automatic contributions to your savings account biweekly for $338. You can do automatic savings account contributions like this with most banks.
Though you're going to want to invest a percentage of what's in your savings account into investments so that you don't get cucked by inflation. Since the interest give you on a savings account is way less than inflation.

Last edited: