if you've ever been really good at something, can you not stand not being the best at whatever you do?

Z

ZyzzReincarnate

Banned
ever since my childhood when i played a lot of games and got good at them very quickly, i became used to being good at whatever i do and whenever i wasnt good at something right away it would piss me off and i wouldnt even try, i would expect to be a natural right away

and its still like this for me, there are a lot of things i wanna do and try but i know i wont enjoy unless im the absolute very best at whatever it is. idk bro sometimes i wish i could just accept not being good at something and enjoy it anyway. u kno what i mean?

• +1
Reactions: karbo, Deleted member 1140, Cleftcel and 7 others
I'd cry after losing chess games/csgo sometimes srs

(Cry in rage/frustration)

• +1
Reactions: IWantToMax and ZyzzReincarnate
I'd cry after losing chess games/csgo sometimes srs

(Cry in rage/frustration)
happened to me in my younger teenager days with league of legends (13-14)

• +1
Reactions: Vitruvian
sounds like ego problems, narcissism?

• +1
Reactions: Deleted member 2581
sounds like ego problems, narcissism?
im quite narcy apparently, that one dark triad test said 97th percentile out of everyone whos taken it

• +1
  • JFL
Reactions: Deleted member 1707, IWantToMax, CupOfCoffee and 1 other person
I've experienced both sides of this and the answer is yes, so long as you have a good relationship with the person you're competing with and you're both on the same page that its about improving at the activity itself and not about ego-trading. There is 1 activity that in my friend circle I got really godly at and there were 2 people who were also really good. One of them is very egotistic and would make it weird whenever we played, he would get frustrated when he lost and you could tell he thought winning was going to boost his value in comparison to his opponent. The other guy was humble and played me just to get better. We would actually celebrate together when he won and he ended up teaching me a lot about the game. I don't play with the first guy anymore and only play guy number 2.
EDIT: Also humble guy surpassed me and is currently the best at this in my circle, so goes to show the real value of a humble mindset when it comes to improving

Last edited:
You are literally me, specifically the first paragraph.

I was one of the smartest and most athletic kids in my class through elementary school. But I was never pushed, never forced to improve.

So eventually everyone caught up to me, and now that the playing field was even, I didn’t have the work ethic to ever get ahead in life ever again.

Once elementary school ended my life would forever be shit in all aspects. School, girls, sports, etc.

• +1
Reactions: IWantToMax and ZyzzReincarnate
ever since my childhood when i played a lot of games and got good at them very quickly, i became used to being good at whatever i do and whenever i wasnt good at something right away it would piss me off and i wouldnt even try, i would expect to be a natural right away

and its still like this for me, there are a lot of things i wanna do and try but i know i wont enjoy unless im the absolute very best at whatever it is. idk bro sometimes i wish i could just accept not being good at something and enjoy it anyway. u kno what i mean?
There is a difference between being good and being the Best.
And I fucking envy you, I literally was bad at everything I touched

I need attention in my sports tbh ngl

im very toxic in video games because i play multiplayer ones like league. i have maybe 50 perma bans i only get to plat but i can't control it when im losing. irl idc because its mostly cope and over cause inferior genetics

• JFL
Reactions: Alt Number 3
You are literally me, specifically the first paragraph.

I was one of the smartest and most athletic kids in my class through elementary school. But I was never pushed, never forced to improve.

So eventually everyone caught up to me, and now that the playing field was even, I didn’t have the work ethic to ever get ahead in life ever again.

Once elementary school ended my life would forever be shit in all aspects. School, girls, sports, etc.
I am sorry for your high iq Mr perfect.
Jfl.
You have no idea how much suffering is being a true low IQ.

• +1
Reactions: Arkantos and Vitruvian
im very toxic in video games because i play multiplayer ones like league. i have maybe 50 perma bans i only get to plat but i can't control it when im losing. irl idc because its mostly cope and over cause inferior genetics
My kd in gta online is over 300. No mods except for unlimited money. Playing time: 500 days. Everyday I come home from school and kill the entire lobby until all of them log out. Like incel rage in a virtual life

• +1
Reactions: Vitruvian
Yes,when someone rotmogs me I want to go ER.

• +1
Reactions: hebbewem
I cant just play a video game or some other activity casually. I would seek out professional players see how they play, study, etc. I will put tons and tons of effort into 1 thing at a time in my life to try and get really fucking good at it

• +1
Reactions: lasthope, DidntRead and ZyzzReincarnate
I cant just play a video game or some other activity casually. I would seek out professional players see how they play, study, etc. I will put tons and tons of effort into 1 thing at a time in my life to try and get really fucking good at it
same bro, exactly the same.

• +1
Reactions: lasthope
yeah, this is why I avoided socializing for years. Tbh it pisses me off that I'm still learning while everyone else been doing this shit since high school. This is why I end up ghosting my friends

Last edited:
if im not good at something i work hard to be good at it

Yes to the point of obsession, where it intrudes with every aspect of my life.

Case and point - 50k+ worth of surgery within 1 year of visiting PSL

• +1
Reactions: IWantToMax
yes that's me. That's why i will either be a slayer or perma virgin

• +1
Reactions: ZyzzReincarnate and IWantToMax
I need the motivation to start but once I start something I wanna be the best at it. I can't handle it when one of my friends is better at something so I keep improving until I beat em.

• +1
Reactions: ZyzzReincarnate
one of the big dilemmas of my life

I enrage whenever someone is better than me at something I'm keen about.

• +1
Reactions: ZyzzReincarnate and DidntRead