Impact of trimax on the face

D

downstein

Iron
I want to get trimax done, but I also want to know the impact is gonna have in my face, does anyone of you has gotten a trimax or even a bimax that can share or explain the changes in their faces and the different stages on the inflammation.

I am asking this because a friend got trimax done and I have noticed different things that I didn't expect. If you don't have to read it it just what me wonder. No pics tho.

Before she was recessed but she hided it well with her chin, had a square short lower third. After a few months after getting the surgery she had a better lower third overall, but it was almost to big and disproportionate; also it was like her midface got longer.
Some people compared her to "The scream" from Edvard Munch, since she looked surprised all the time lol and people thought the surgery killed her looks. I am guessing that was due to the inflammation.
Now her lower third has come down on size and looks much better, I personally cannot find nothing wrong with it, also her cheekbones seems to be bigger and look better, her gonions much more flared out and her hyoid bone higher up. But her midface seems to only shortened a bit, it's not horsed but it's not ideal.

• +1
Reactions: truthhurts
@longjohnmong mb for tagging you but you are the only user ik that has gotten this before

Was it ccw rotation?

No, I am trying to say that the surgery had other impacts on her face other than the advancement of the lower and upper jaw as well as the chin. The gonions looked way more flared , her cheekbones more pronounced and her midface longer. Effects that I haven't seen much people discuss on this forum.

So i asked if anyone has gotten the surgery and saw similar changes.

No, I am trying to say that the surgery had other impacts on her face other than the advancement of the lower and upper jaw as well as the chin. The gonions looked way more flared , her cheekbones more pronounced and her midface longer. Effects that I haven't seen much people discuss on this forum.

So i asked if anyone has gotten the surgery and saw similar changes.
Oh my b, so you’re saying that the surgery had a positive impact even with the lengthening of the midface?

Oh my b, so you’re saying that the surgery had a positive impact even with the lengthening of the midface?
Yeah, overall I would say it's an improvement. What makes me worried is the part of the midface, I already have a longish midface and I don't wanna make it worse. Do you happen to know someone that has gotten the surgery?

At least wrt the effects the surgery can have on your soft tissues:

It depends on your movements.

If you get impaction, you reduce midface length and this can cause the skin to bunch up in the nasolabial area, creating folds or otherwise a saggy appearance. In most people this effect is not big enough to be noticeable or is outweighed by the benefits on the midface length and gummy smile reduction you get with impaction. But if the impaction is very large (like more than 5mm) and/or you already have somewhat saggy skin here you can expect this area to have bunched up skin. Many people need midface lifts after big impactions.

If you get downgraft this generally stretches out the skin and can make your cheekbones more prominent.

If you have a bimax whose movmement is coming purely from ccw, this can actually cause bunching up of skin in the nasolabial area. This is because geometrically speaking, if you get purely ccw and no linear advancement component in your bimax, the most posterior part of the maxilla actually goes backward into the face, even if the most anterior part is coming forward. You read a lot about bimax "stretching out your skin" and therefore accentuating your features. You cannot expect this in mostly ccw based bimax movements. I am not sayin gyou should not get a purely ccw based bimax movement if that is what is most beneficialy for you skeletally. Many times these soft tissue problems are necessary trade offs that you can solve with midface lifts afterwards, but it is a factor to consider if you, say, have a surgeon presenting you with a 7deg plan and a 10deg one.

All these effects are exacerbated if you have midface hypoplasia above the LF1 area.

Swelling from bimax lasts over a year. According to recent research around 20% of swelling remains after 6 months and 7% after 1 year. It lingers longest in the paranasal area and even a bit of swelling here can make you look weird. If you know what 100% swelling looks like just a few days post op, you would know that 7% is substantial. People get buccal fat removal to go from what you look like with 20% swelling to 0%. You cannot underestimate the swelling and the extent to which it masks your results. You will look bizarre for at least 4 months. This is especially if you get aggressive movements, ramus widening, or get implants alongside your surgery. I looked like a RECTANGULAR BLOCK for 5 months in outside lighting in the windows and still kind of look like that, but it has been slowly getting better. People on reddit that say their swelling is gone after a few months are lying or don't know any better.

Last edited:
  • +1
Reactions: perpetuallytired, downstein, NZb6Air and 3 others
I want to get trimax done, but I also want to know the impact is gonna have in my face, does anyone of you has gotten a trimax or even a bimax that can share or explain the changes in their faces and the different stages on the inflammation.

I am asking this because a friend got trimax done and I have noticed different things that I didn't expect. If you don't have to read it it just what me wonder. No pics tho.

Before she was recessed but she hided it well with her chin, had a square short lower third. After a few months after getting the surgery she had a better lower third overall, but it was almost to big and disproportionate; also it was like her midface got longer.
Some people compared her to "The scream" from Edvard Munch, since she looked surprised all the time lol and people thought the surgery killed her looks. I am guessing that was due to the inflammation.
Now her lower third has come down on size and looks much better, I personally cannot find nothing wrong with it, also her cheekbones seems to be bigger and look better, her gonions much more flared out and her hyoid bone higher up. But her midface seems to only shortened a bit, it's not horsed but it's not ideal.

If you get impaction, you reduce midface length and this can cause the skin to bunch up in the nasolabial area, creating folds or otherwise a saggy appearance. In most people this effect is not big enough to be noticeable or is outweighed by the benefits on the midface length and gummy smile reduction you get with impaction. But if the impaction is very large (like more than 5mm) and/or you already have somewhat saggy skin here you can expect this area to have bunched up skin. Many people need midface lifts after big impactions.

If you get downgraft this generally stretches out the skin and can make your cheekbones more prominent.

If you have a bimax whose movmement is coming purely from ccw, this can actually cause bunching up of skin in the nasolabial area. This is because geometrically speaking, if you get purely ccw and no linear advancement component in your bimax, the most posterior part of the maxilla actually goes backward into the face, even if the most anterior part is coming forward. You read a lot about bimax "stretching out your skin" and therefore accentuating your features. You cannot expect this in mostly ccw based bimax movements. I am not sayin gyou should not get a purely ccw based bimax movement if that is what is most beneficialy for you skeletally. Many times these soft tissue problems are necessary trade offs that you can solve with midface lifts afterwards

All these effects are exacerbated if you have midface hypoplasia above the LF1 area.

Swelling from bimax lasts over a year. According to recent research around 20% of swelling remains after 6 months and 7% after 1 year. It lingers longest in the paranasal area and even a bit of swelling here can make you look weird. If you know what 100% swelling looks like just a few days post op, you would know that 7% is substantial. People get buccal fat removal to go from what you look like with 20% swelling to 0%. You cannot underestimate the swelling and the extent to which it masks your results. You will look bizarre for at least 4 months. This is especially if you get aggressive movements, ramus widening, or get implants alongside your surgery. I looked like a RECTANGULAR BLOCK for 5 months in outside lighting in the windows and still kind of look like that, but it has been slowly getting better. People on reddit that say their swelling is gone after a few months are lying or don't know any better.
@NZb6Air thoughts:feelswhere::feelsthink:?:ogre::ogre:

• +1
Reactions: NZb6Air

If you have a bimax whose movmement is coming purely from ccw, this can actually cause bunching up of skin in the nasolabial area. This is because geometrically speaking, if you get purely ccw and no linear advancement component in your bimax, the most posterior part of the maxilla actually goes backward into the face, even if the most anterior part is coming forward. You read a lot about bimax "stretching out your skin" and therefore accentuating your features. You cannot expect this in mostly ccw based bimax movements. I am not sayin gyou should not get a purely ccw based bimax movement if that is what is most beneficialy for you skeletally. Many times these soft tissue problems are necessary trade offs that you can solve with midface lifts afterwards, but it is a factor to consider if you, say, have a surgeon presenting you with a 7deg plan and a 10deg one.

I thought impaction doesnt decrease midface length aesthetically due to the soft tissue not being reduced? I have a slight gummy smile so if i can get a midface length decrease by 0.2 without a additonal lip lift after that'd be a pretty cool side benefit.

I thought impaction doesnt decrease midface length aesthetically due to the soft tissue not being reduced? I have a slight gummy smile so if i can get a midface length decrease by 0.2 without a additonal lip lift after that'd be a pretty cool side benefit.
It does not literally reduce midface length but perceived midface length.

If you need a lip lift you will likely still need one after bimax but maybe soft tissue randomness could work in your favor.

I needed a lip lift before and I need one after

• +1
Reactions: NZb6Air and Qzuan

• +1
Reactions: perpetuallytired, Qzuan, NZb6Air and 1 other person
@NZb6Air thoughts:feelswhere::feelsthink:?:ogre::ogre:
this nigga yapping cause he discovered swelling, there's possible soft tissue changes yes(that are always easily fixable) but this nigga is talking a few months later so it's just swelling

• +1
Reactions: truthhurts

She may have gotten implants for cheekbones.

Swelling is possible too.

@longjohnmong mb for tagging you but you are the only user ik that has gotten this before
It depends on what was done. Trimax for SFS, Class I bite, and Class II bite are all different.