Invisalign before jaw surgery?

S

Softboymaxx

Silver
Is Invisalign good to do pre maxi surgery or are traditional braces the only way for a class 3 malocclusion ?

Are you referring to decompensation? Or are you trying to fix your bite before your surgery? Because if that's the case, I would be very hesitant to do anything to compensate your bite prior to surgery, as the bimax will change your bite anyway.

Are you referring to decompensation? Or are you trying to fix your bite before your surgery? Because if that's the case, I would be very hesitant to do anything to compensate your bite prior to surgery, as the bimax will change your bite anyway.
What’s decompression

What’s decompression
Decompensation is when the maxillofacial surgeon requires your bite to be decompensated, or the position of the teeth moved to allow for a better result during the bimax. It's basically getting braces to make your bite worse before it makes it better.

My point was that, if you have a large underbite and get braces which will angle your lower teeth back and upper teeth forward to create a more proper bite (this is compensating your bite) before your surgery, they may require that same work to be undone before your surgery anyway. So it would be a waste of money in this case.

• +1
Reactions: Deleted member 38639 and mvp2v1
Decompensation is when the maxillofacial surgeon requires your bite to be decompensated, or the position of the teeth moved to allow for a better result during the bimax. It's basically getting braces to make your bite worse before it makes it better.

My point was that, if you have a large underbite and get braces which will angle your lower teeth back and upper teeth forward to create a more proper bite (this is compensating your bite) before your surgery, they may require that same work to be undone before your surgery anyway. So it would be a waste of money in this case
I have a class 3 malocclusion. He said the bite is off like k don’t have an under or over bite but my teeth are misaligned.

I have a class 3 malocclusion. He said the bite is off like k don’t have an under or over bite but my teeth are misaligned.
Hm interesting. If the position of your jaws are equally recessed, but your teeth are still misaligned, then I suppose fixing the teeth wouldn't be the worst thing. Still, I would recommend seeing a maxfac first to confirm. Might be able to help if I could see a scan/pic of your bite.

Hm interesting. If the position of your jaws are equally recessed, but your teeth are still misaligned, then I suppose fixing the teeth wouldn't be the worst thing. Still, I would recommend seeing a maxfac first to confirm. Might be able to help if I could see a scan/pic of your bite.
here you go

Attachments

• BFFAC910-DEFC-4E06-A062-B12570C3C600.jpeg
    BFFAC910-DEFC-4E06-A062-B12570C3C600.jpeg
    348.3 KB · Views: 0
here you go
yeah, bro, you'd probably want to get orthodontics first.

there's a lot of other concerns with the bite and shit that people here just ignore because it's not aesthetic. even if your bite is perfect going into surgery, there can be complications with the bite after surgery if you don't have orthodontics. like i had surgery first, and right after surgery my bite was perfect, but then it just spontaneously shifted because i don't currently have orthodontics. so now the surgeon is like "you need to get orthodontics ASAP" (which is always what he recommended). to be clear, my bones didn't shift or anything. there's just a lot more going on than people here realize.

if you already have bite/teeth issues then you'll probably have to get orthodontics

• +1
Reactions: Asspear
Im wearing invisalign that my jaw surgeon told me to get

• +1
Reactions: Softboymaxx
braces pull teeth a bit faster but invisalign more comfortable

• +1
Reactions: Softboymaxx
yeah, bro, you'd probably want to get orthodontics first.

there's a lot of other concerns with the bite and shit that people here just ignore because it's not aesthetic. even if your bite is perfect going into surgery, there can be complications with the bite after surgery if you don't have orthodontics. like i had surgery first, and right after surgery my bite was perfect, but then it just spontaneously shifted because i don't currently have orthodontics. so now the surgeon is like "you need to get orthodontics ASAP" (which is always what he recommended). to be clear, my bones didn't shift or anything. there's just a lot more going on than people here realize.

if you already have bite/teeth issues then you'll probably have to get orthodontics
Ok cool that’s what he said it was more to fix bite than aesthetic

here you go
Ok yes, looking at this you might actually need braces first. I would still recommend seeing if you can consult with a maxfac and getting their 2 cents as well, but your bite definitely has some issues that will need resolving regardless. My assumption based on this image is that they'll want you to get braces before the surgery as well. Ideally you would get them done in accordance with the maxfac's plan so you can be sure you don't need them twice before surgery.

Ok yes, looking at this you might actually need braces first. I would still recommend seeing if you can consult with a maxfac and getting their 2 cents as well, but your bite definitely has some issues that will need resolving regardless. My assumption based on this image is that they'll want you to get braces before the surgery as well. Ideally you would get them done in accordance with the maxfac's plan so you can be sure you don't need them twice before surgery.
Ok thanks