invisalign will narrow my palate? + lefort 1 question

H

hygiarby

Iron
My invisalign is going to narrow my palate by around .7 cm. It will also make it more symmetrical too. I asked my otho about if its possible to not narrow palate but he said not likely unless I get teeth crowns or smthing bcuz my teeth are pretty small. Would narrowing my palate make me look worse? Could it possibly increase the chance I have hollow cheeks, as my zygos will remain at the same width (I'm assuming), but my back teeth will become narrower, so the distance between my zygos and back teeth would increase, thus my cheeks would have less support? Not sure if this is how it works, just guessing. I'm not at low enough bf% currently to tell if I have hollow cheek potential.

Also, my bottom teeth are too far forward, so the ortho is trying to treat that. He said it's possible with invisalign + elastics by angling the top teeth. He said I currently have a slight CW rotation, slightly recessed maxilla. When I was a kid I got a headgear treatment for underbite which moved my maxilla forward to fix it at the time, but this didn't account for my future jaw growth. He said a lefort 1 may be an option. Currently debating if its worth it. From Canada so it's cheap as there's a medical reason for it, just concerned about complications. Also I'd prefer a high lefort 1, but not sure if I'll be able to justify that over a normal lefort 1 if I'm getting it for medical reasons.

Last edited:

• +1
Reactions: 5'7 zoomer and IntelligentCel
Narrowing palates isn't really a good idea. If you narrow the palates, this will make your smile narrow and may contribute to narrowing of the face and reduction of the tongue space, which will force the tongue backwards toward the airways and increase the risk of sleep apnea.