Is 0.05 Tretinoin effective?

B

Barbarossa_

If you ain’t cheating you ain’t trying
I found this in my local Pharmacy. Used it a couple of times and stopped cus it smells so bad!
Do you guys think 0.05 is effective?

Attachments

• 9AC9DD57-4145-4592-B693-E3F351DF4C6A.jpeg
    9AC9DD57-4145-4592-B693-E3F351DF4C6A.jpeg
    60 KB · Views: 32
Last edited:
Used it a couple of times and stopped cus it smells so bad!
Yep, as a rule of thumb, retinoids don't smell great, it's a very characteristic smell.

It depends what you mean by effective I guess, but yes, you will absolutely see results from a 0.05 tretinoin- if this is your first foray into retinoids, be aware of the irritation you're likely to experience.

• +1
Reactions: Barbarossa_
Yep, as a rule of thumb, retinoids don't smell great, it's a very characteristic smell.

It depends what you mean by effective I guess, but yes, you will absolutely see results from a 0.05 tretinoin- if this is your first foray into retinoids, be aware of the irritation you're likely to experience.
smell like what?

I found this in my local Pharmacy. Used it a couple of times and stopped cus it smells so bad!
Yes. Once a day before you sleep. But the 0.1 will get your results 2x faster

• +1
smell like what?
I don't know how to describe it other than retinoids. Kind of "chemical-y" maybe? In short, if you've got a retinoid and it doesn't smell a bit odd (WHEN FRESH), then its got fragrance added to cover it up.
Yes. Once a day before you sleep. But the 0.1 will get your results 2x faster
Not every day at first. And not necessarily re the 2x faster idea.

I don't know how to describe it other than retinoids. Kind of "chemical-y" maybe? In short, if you've got a retinoid and it doesn't smell a bit odd (WHEN FRESH), then its got fragrance added to cover it up.

yeah mine smells like chemicals jfl. like it’s very recognizable, ik what u mean.

• +1
Reactions: benignice
effective for anti aging of course bro

Day on day off for start and keep this for the first month only. Then everyday for 2 months then0.1%

• +1
effective for anti aging of course bro
Not necessarily of course, can be used for acne too. But yeah, you'll get results from a 0.05.
Day on day off for start and keep this for the first month only. Then everyday for 2 months then0.1%
If your skin can take upping to every day and then up to the 0.1. Some people's skin just can't take it- it's much better to use a weaker concentration but actually be able to use it regularly, than to use the strongest formula you can find but not actually be able to use it regularly because your skin is too damn raw.

Last edited:
  • +1
Reactions: Fear and Barbarossa_
stopped cus it smells so bad!
My brand that I use doesn't small at all.
How much do. You use? I heard just the size of 1 pea for whole face is enough already.

I use 0.025 daily almost for half a year. It helps, it pretty great stuff.

• +1
I use a mix of microsphere tretinoin 0.1% gel and regular tretinoin 0.05% gel nearly everyday, unless I am getting laser done, in which case I lay off for 3-7 days prior.

I see a noticeable difference in skin brightness and smoothness using them. The only thing I'm not satisfied with is that a single fine line, observable only under direct, intense light, has come in above each of my eyebrows. Without great expectations for it, I am going to add tazarotene to the mix.

The best thing for skin quality for me was low-dose (10mg/day) Accutane. It's the only thing that absolutely annihilated recalcitrant blackheads. Unfortunately it made my hair finer, and I suspect my original high-dose regimen as a teenager may have worsened my underbite. I'm not willing to risk my jaw surgery results to find out.

• +1
My brand that I use doesn't small at all.
How much do. You use? I heard just the size of 1 pea for whole face is enough already.

I use 0.025 daily almost for half a year. It helps, it pretty great stuff.
I just used it about 30 mins ago on face and neck. Kinda feeling itchy but oh well. And I'll just have to get used to the smell.

Do you use it with other stuff at the same time? eg serums and moisturizers etc

I just used it about 30 mins ago on face and neck. Kinda feeling itchy but oh well. I'll get used to the smell.

you need to use a moisturizer and also a spf50 suncream is a MUST because your skin will be very sensitive to the sun

I used retin-a for 2,5 months but I would never use it again because I looked like a lobster

see this website for more info about tretoin, they also provide multiple routines how you should apply it

• +1
I just used it about 30 mins ago on face and neck. Kinda feeling itchy but oh well. And I'll just have to get used to the smell.

Some itching and irritation is normal, if it gets legit painful or unbearable, discontinue use. Remember to start with you can also buffer the tretinoin with a moisturiser so it's not quite such a hard smack all at once.
Yes. Tretinoin onto clean skin, then hydrate and moisturise. Ideally with something simple and gentle, now isn't the time to be introducing a load of other actives.
a spf50 suncream is a MUST because your skin will be very sensitive to the sun
Yes. This. Every day.

Before you apply it, gently wash your face, then wait 10-15 minutes or until your skin is completely dry.
During application, don't combine it with anything else.
After you apply it, wait around 30 minutes and then apply a moisturizer.

Sunscreen, preferably mineral, during the day is a must.

• +1
gfgsggfg

Last edited:
i'm not sure how sunscreen usage is such regular advice in any discussion about topical treatments that may induce sun sensitivity. that's not to say that that isn't true if you actually get a moderate amount but i cannot remember the last time i received prolonged sun exposure except when exercising or going to the beach so it's never been an issue, and i'm sure that's the case for most who browse here. where are you where just the exposure from walking to class between buildings on campus is enough to make your face red?
Its important to note that your skin is being damaged by sunlight even if it doesn't get "red"- just because you're not burning, that doesn't mean that there's not shit going on that you can't see. So, if you give any amount of thought to the ageing of your skin, you should be wearing some form of sunscreen every day- regardless of weather or any other products you may or may not be using since photoaging contributes so much to cosmetic skin issues.

The reason for using products containing SPF whilst using retinoids is (at least) twofold. Firstly, one of the main ways that retinoids work to "anti-age" (we're talking about extrinsic ageing here) is by reducing existing photoaging, so why would you bother trying to undo the results of UV damage without also trying to stop any further UV damage?
Following on from that, the second reason that products containing SPF are always recommended when discussing retinoids boils down to; if you know that your skin is particularly photosensitive due to topical products (which are being used in the first place to minimise photoaging), why would you not use SPF?

I'm in it, for the long run (skin-ageing-control) and I don't had any acne when I started. So I didn't feel I needed to have that period of "big peeling/purge//redness/etc." period like some feel they need. But to just let it happen slowly and dragged out over time.

Therefore I "buffer". I use like 15 minutes orso before putting on the tretinoin: a very simple (the less active ingredients the better because one doesn't know how ingredients reacts with tretionoin) moisterizer (is usel cerave moisterizer).
Then after that I put on (a 1 pea seed size) tretinoin on my face. I do it almost daily.

I never experienced any redness, itching, flaking skin, and so on.