Is a cleanser really necessary?

Alexanderr

Alexanderr

Admin
I've noticed that when I use a cleanser twice a day, especially after using sunscreen, I tend to get more pimples. Without a skincare routine at all, including not washing off sunscreen, I can go for months without breakouts. So, I'm wondering if a cleanser is really necessary, especially since I don't seem to break out from not washing off sunscreen.

• +1
Reactions: TechnoBoss
I think cleansers are better suited for women that wear daily makeup, tbh. For reference, I use Pixi Double Cleanse.

• +1
Reactions: billymidnight and TechnoBoss
I break out if I skip even one night of my skin routine so idk. Depends person to person

• Hmm...
  • +1
Reactions: billymidnight and lifeless
You just said a facial cleanser is better for people who wear makeup

And then recommended a makeup removal product instead?
Yes, to the first sentence, no to the 2nd. I said, or meant, the use of facial cleansers is better warranted for women, who wear makeup since it won't come off easily.
As for the Pixi Double Cleanse, I just mentioned it since it might help anyone reading figure out whether my skin reactions are a byproduct of what I'm using or not.

• +1
Reactions: mfk
Warned for posting in the wrong section. :ogre:

Moved to Looksmaxxing questions. :ogre:

• JFL
Reactions: brucewayne78, TechnoBoss and Alexanderr
I break out if I skip even one night of my skin routine so idk. Depends person to person
What happens if you go long bouts without a skin routine?
I can go months without a skin routine and not see a pimple. The most important part of skincare for me, is predominantly anti-aging which means wearing sunscreen.
Besides that, I'm not entirely sure why I should even moisturize or cleanse my skin. I haven't seen much hard evidence moisturizing noticeably helps anti-aging, and cleansing seems to break me out.

• JFL
  • +1
Reactions: Detective, brucewayne78, TechnoBoss and 1 other person
Yes, to the first sentence, no to the 2nd. I said, or meant, the use of facial cleansers is better warranted for women, who wear makeup since it won't come off easily.
As for the Pixi Double Cleanse, I just mentioned it since it might help anyone reading figure out whether my skin reactions are a byproduct of what I'm using or not.
The Pixi double cleanse is not a regular facial cleanser, despite the name. The Pixi Double Cleanse is a cleansing balm.

Cleansing balms and cleansing oils are oil based products intended to remove makeup and sunscreen products. However, they work differently to a regular facial cleanser like Cerave. Unlike regular facial cleansers, they don’t contain surfactants and instead contain oil, which is useful for removing makeup and other hard to remove facial products.

You’re likely breaking out because despite using and washing off the Pixi double cleanser, it will still stay in your pores. This is a result of the oil based product being Hydrophilic. As we all know, oil is a catalyst in driving breakouts.

The solution and regular procedure is to use a regular cleanser after using your Pixi double cleanse. Find a normal cleanser that is not oil based, but instead contains surfactants, which remove oil.

I know you mentioned that you don’t breakout by not washing off sunscreen, but that’s not necessarily the best thing for your skin’s health, or the most hygienic thing.

• Love it
Reactions: Alexanderr
What happens if you go long bouts without a skin routine?
I can go months without a skin routine and not see a pimple. The most important part of skincare for me, is predominantly anti-aging which means wearing sunscreen.
Besides that, I'm not entirely sure why I should even moisturize or cleanse my skin. I haven't seen much hard evidence moisturizing noticeably helps anti-aging, and cleansing seems to break me out.
Sometimes when I go like 4 days I don’t get a breakout and sometimes it goes crazy. It’s really weird but right now my skin is decent on the routine I use

I'm interested in this as well. I've heard anecdotal reports of people saying it's bad to use cleanser because your skin has oil on it or something and when you cleanse too often it actually messes up your skin. Something like that.

• +1
  • So Sad
Reactions: MA_ascender and Alexanderr
The Pixi double cleanse is not a regular facial cleanser, despite the name. The Pixi Double Cleanse is a cleansing balm.

Cleansing balms and cleansing oils are oil based products intended to remove makeup and sunscreen products. However, they work differently to a regular facial cleanser like Cerave. Unlike regular facial cleansers, they don’t contain surfactants and instead contain oil, which is useful for removing makeup and other hard to remove facial products.

You’re likely breaking out because despite using and washing off the Pixi double cleanser, it will still stay in your pores. This is a result of the oil based product being Hydrophilic. As we all know, oil is a catalyst in driving breakouts.

The solution and regular procedure is to use a regular cleanser after using your Pixi double cleanse. Find a normal cleanser that is not oil based, but instead contains surfactants, which remove oil.

I know you mentioned that you don’t breakout by not washing off sunscreen, but that’s not necessarily the best thing for your skin’s health, or the most hygienic thing.
Thanks. I think that might be it. Though, is it a common procedure to use two cleansers? I've heard some women do it, but they've got like 7-step routines and all that jazz. Preferably, I'd just have a very minimalistic routine that doesn't require more than a few minutes.

• +1
Reactions: mfk
I'm interested in this as well. I've heard anecdotal reports of people saying it's bad to use cleanser because your skin has oil on it or something and when you cleanse too often it actually messes up your skin. Something like that.
True, it seems like a lot of guys go without a skincare routine (moisturizer & cleanser) and do just fine, in regards to no breakouts that is.

• +1
I've noticed that when I use a cleanser twice a day, especially after using sunscreen, I tend to get more pimples. Without a skincare routine at all, including not washing off sunscreen, I can go for months without breakouts. So, I'm wondering if a cleanser is really necessary, especially since I don't seem to break out from not washing off sunscreen.

It depends on your needs and the type of cleanser you use.

When you use a cleanser, especially the SA ones preached on the forum, your skin is essentially stripped of it's oils and gets dry. Then your sebaceous glands in response will produce more oil than normal, causing excessive oil on the face.

Happened to me too, I just used a mild CeraVe cleanser that doesn't nuke my face into that dry state.

^^ The one I found best to work for me.

Alternatively, a way to counteract that dry stage and prevent increased oil secretion subsequently is to use moisturizer, though that's just an extra step for no reason. Your cleanser shouldn't be drying up your face in the first place.

I avoid cleansers with salicylic acid/acetic acid and menthol for these reasons.

• +1
Reactions: TechnoBoss and Alexanderr
It depends on your needs and the type of cleanser you use.

When you use a cleanser, especially the SA ones preached on the forum, your skin is essentially stripped of it's oils and gets dry. Then your sebaceous glands in response will produce more oil than normal, causing excessive oil on the face.

Happened to me too, I just used a mild CeraVe cleanser that doesn't nuke my face into that dry state.

View attachment 3122045

^^ The one I found best to work for me.

Alternatively, a way to counteract that dry stage and prevent increased oil secretion subsequently is to use moisturizer, though that's just an extra step for no reason. Your cleanser shouldn't be drying up your face in the first place.

I avoid cleansers with salicylic acid/acetic acid and menthol for these reasons.
Because my cleanser doesn't completely dry my face and I found the right one with good balance, I don't need to use any other product like moisturizer and stuff.

• +1
Thanks. I think that might be it. Though, is it a common procedure to use two cleansers? I've heard some women do it, but they've got like 7-step routines and all that jazz. Preferably, I'd just have a very minimalistic routine that doesn't require more than a few minutes.
Using two cleansers (oil based + regular) is very common if you use a product during the day that cannot be effectively fully removed with a single cleanser. This includes makeup and sunscreen products. If you don’t use such products, you’d be fine to use a single regular cleanser.

Oil based cleansers are meant to be followed up with a regular cleanser by design too. They don’t work as a replacement for regular cleansers

• +1
Reactions: future_ and Alexanderr
I also should mention that if you use an oil based cleanser you may want to avoid regular cleansers that also contain exfoliating acids. Using both can be quite stripping to your skin.

Just a regular cleanser after your cleansing balm will be good.

Also make sure you read up and research on how to properly use that Pixi double cleanse because it seems like a relatively unique product that may have special steps involved.

Lots of oil based cleansers are meant to be used on dry skin (not wet at all) and then rinsed off with water before using a regular cleanser. So just make sure you use it right too.

Last edited:
  • +1
your cleanser might be too harsh, try some creasm with zinc oxide like baby butt cream for barrier restoration, and get a light cleanser

• +1
Yes to remove build up or else you will get milia/bumps on your skin

whenever I skip cleanser and just rinse with water I break out. although maybe its because my skin is now accustomed to it and I've been scammed by the skincare industry. I've tried tret on and off for years but my skin can't tolerate so im ditching it. I just use cerave cleanser and moisturizer and my skin stays relatively clear.