Is BSSO ever a bad idea aesthetically?

T

theanonymousone

Bronze
Title;

As for function, if I want to put my teeth together, I actually have to pull my lower jaw backwards, it feels unnatural. So my otho said basically we can do MSE on top with a facemask (I forgot if the facemask was my idea or his but I specifically asked if it was bone anchored and he said yes), and then I'd need a BSSO because then my top teeth would be wide enough to be like wider than my bottom? I don't think I mentioned IMDO but I'm not sure I want a bigger lower jaw...Also my teeth only really touch on one side.

• +1
Reactions: lilhorizontal32
I think you need to do more research, because a bsso has nothing to do with widening your jaw. It's making cuts to both sides of the mandible to move it forwards/backwards

• +1
Reactions: subhuman incel, CursedOne, Gaia262 and 1 other person
I think you need to do more research, because a bsso has nothing to do with widening your jaw. It's making cuts to both sides of the mandible to move it forwards/backwards
Yeah that's why I'm not sure what they meant when they said the top would be too wide etc and you'd need a BSSO, my lower jaw IS too far back though.

I was wondering, in my case, from the front and even side it's not really too noticeable, but in the profile it is.

So if I DID do IMDO, would the change needed to get my teeth lined up have a huge impact on how wide my lower jaw is, because like I said I don't think I want it to be any wider.

EDIT: I had no idea IMDO could lengthen the depth and length (width was obvious) of the lower jaw, wtf? I think I have something new to think about here instead of surgery.

Last edited:
  • +1
Reactions: Deleted member 4054
Not if you found a black ethnostate in america

Yeah that's why I'm not sure what they meant when they said the top would be too wide etc and you'd need a BSSO, my lower jaw IS too far back though.

I was wondering, in my case, from the front and even side it's not really too noticeable, but in the profile it is.

So if I DID do IMDO, would the change needed to get my teeth lined up have a huge impact on how wide my lower jaw is, because like I said I don't think I want it to be any wider.

EDIT: I had no idea IMDO could lengthen the depth and length (width was obvious) of the lower jaw, wtf? I think I have something new to think about here instead of surgery.
The reason u need bsso after mse+facemask is because the facemask makes ur overbite bigger by bringing your maxilla forward

• +1
Reactions: theanonymousone
The reason u need bsso after mse+facemask is because the facemask makes ur overbite bigger by bringing your maxilla forward

But does it really work that well (the MSE+FM)? Like it actually brings the MAXILLA forward, not just the teeth? That's impressive at my age, and the ortho seems to think the FM will move it enough that I'll require BSSO, but I mentioned expanding cheekbones etc. and he said he doesn't think that is possible, so I'm wondering how he thinks my maxilla can move but not expand.

Last edited:
But does it really work that well (the MSE+FM)? Like it actually brings the MAXILLA forward, not just the teeth? That's impressive at my age, and the ortho seems to think the FM will move it enough that I'll require BSSO, but I mentioned expanding cheekbones etc. and he said he doesn't think that is possible, so I'm wondering how he thinks my maxilla can move but not expand.
According to dr ting it can bring the maxilla forward upto 3mm in adults but only if ur really lucky ofcourse.

Last edited:
  • +1
Reactions: theanonymousone