Is Coffee as bad for collagen as google says?

tasmanian devil

tasmanian devil

Bronze
The internet is full of studies that say coffeine is bad for your collagen production, is this actually true? Do you have to stop drinking coffee and energy drinks or what.

• JFL
  • +1
Reactions: LooksThinker and Samsepioler
Coffee releases stress hormones (cortisol) which age you. More stress = faster you age and lose of collagen

• +1
Reactions: Spiritualcell
Coffee releases stress hormones (cortisol) which age you. More stress = faster you age and lose of collagen
This is not true.

Results: After 5 days of caffeine abstinence, caffeine challenge doses caused a robust increase in cortisol across the test day (p < .0001). In contrast, 5 days of caffeine intake at 300 mg/day and 600 mg/day abolished the cortisol response to the initial 9:00 AM caffeine dose, although cortisol levels were again elevated between 1:00 PM and 7:00 PM (p = .02 to .002) after the second caffeine dose taken at 1:00 PM. Cortisol levels declined to control levels during the evening sampling period.
This RCT study gave people 0, 300, 600mg of caffeine per day, it showed that injesting caffeine after a period of abstaining from it causes cortisol to increase, however after just 5 days of caffeine, the cortisol increase is completely normalised. Caffeine has alot of benefits.

Short-term increased (within normal levels) cortisol level is not going to do anything

Source:
Lovallo WR, Whitsett TL, al'Absi M, Sung BH, Vincent AS, Wilson MF. Caffeine stimulation of cortisol secretion across the waking hours in relation to caffeine intake levels. Psychosom Med. 2005 Sep-Oct;67(5):734-9. doi: 10.1097/01.psy.0000181270.20036.06. PMID: 16204431; PMCID: PMC2257922.

• +1
Reactions: Spiritualcell, Debetro, castelldefels and 3 others
L-theanine, an amino-acid might counter the caffeine's cortisol producing effect, when taken together with caffeine. Or the very least, it has a stress-reducing effect on its own. There are other studies too, do your research. I recently stopped drinking coffee (after I had a teeth whitening) and started taking caffeine capsules instead. But not just regular caffeine capsules, but one, that also contains theanine. It actually enhances caffeine's effects in other ways too.

So if you can't quit caffeine (not coffee, but caffeine), try any of these tablets maybe. Or eat some theanine pills or powder after drinking coffee maybe. It's better, than coffee on it's own, in terms of efficiency and it helps against caffeine's collagen destroying effect, if it has any. I live in the EU, I use GymBeam Energy Caps, where 1 capsule contains 100 mg caffeine and 100 mg l-theanine. Even if they don't have this where you live, just check this product to see what I mean. It's also not expensive. I usually take 2 capsules daily.

• +1
Reactions: castelldefels
This is not true.

This RCT study gave people 0, 300, 600mg of caffeine per day, it showed that injesting caffeine after a period of abstaining from it causes cortisol to increase, however after just 5 days of caffeine, the cortisol increase is completely normalised. Caffeine has alot of benefits.

Short-term increased (within normal levels) cortisol level is not going to do anything

Source:
Lovallo WR, Whitsett TL, al'Absi M, Sung BH, Vincent AS, Wilson MF. Caffeine stimulation of cortisol secretion across the waking hours in relation to caffeine intake levels. Psychosom Med. 2005 Sep-Oct;67(5):734-9. doi: 10.1097/01.psy.0000181270.20036.06. PMID: 16204431; PMCID: PMC2257922.
Absolute cope. I could give you articles which prove it does. Why do you think people gain “energy” from coffee? It’s adrenaline. Your body is under stress. Keep drinking a seed drink moron jfl at thinking seeds are healthy

• JFL
  • +1
Reactions: Spiritualcell, Gaygymmaxx and Deleted member 23558
Shouldn't drink coffee, jfl if you think you can get something without giving something back. It raises your tension and narrows your brain blood vessels.

• +1
Reactions: Deleted member 30037
Shouldn't drink coffee, jfl if you think you can get something without giving something back. It raises your tension and narrows your brain blood vessels.
These guys who defend coffee are literally addicted so come up with pure cope to give reasons why it’s good for you. Enjoy your yellow teeth and stress hormones

• +1
These guys who defend coffee are literally addicted so come up with pure cope to give reasons why it’s good for you. Enjoy your yellow teeth and stress hormones
I recently quit the toxic bean juice and I feel and sleep a lot better.

• +1
Reactions: Deleted member 30037
Absolute cope. I could give you articles which prove it does. Why do you think people gain “energy” from coffee? It’s adrenaline. Your body is under stress. Keep drinking a seed drink moron jfl at thinking seeds are healthy
@BrahminBoss

• JFL
Reactions: Deleted member 23558
pls do some basic research. Firstly adrenaline ≠ cortisol, which is what you were claiming caffeine would increase in your original post.
Secondly, caffeine works by blocking adensosine receptors which in the brain is responsible for the feeling of wakefullness (it blocks you from becoming more tired). Thirdly, yes caffeine causes a release of adrenaline (and other catecholamines such as dopamine and noradrenaline) however this is done at a much smaller level than your natural fight or flight repsonse (at normal doses), it does not directly cause the release of these catecholamine however, rather by the previously mentioned blocking of adenosine.

If you actually have some articles which prove it does, feel free to share them. However it is unlikely that they will provide evidence more rigorous than the randomised controlled trial I linked.

• +1
Reactions: Spiritualcell and Deleted member 23558
pls do some basic research. Firstly adrenaline ≠ cortisol, which is what you were claiming caffeine would increase in your original post.
Secondly, caffeine works by blocking adensosine receptors which in the brain is responsible for the feeling of wakefullness (it blocks you from becoming more tired). Thirdly, yes caffeine causes a release of adrenaline (and other catecholamines such as dopamine and noradrenaline) however this is done at a much smaller level than your natural fight or flight repsonse (at normal doses), it does not directly cause the release of these catecholamine however, rather by the previously mentioned blocking of adenosine.

If you actually have some articles which prove it does, feel free to share them. However it is unlikely that they will provide evidence more rigorous than the randomised controlled trial I linked.
So you openly admit coffee releases adrenaline and still somehow believe it’s good for you? You probably have anxiety on a daily basis. Crazy what addictions can do

• +1
So you openly admit coffee releases adrenaline and still somehow believe it’s good for you? You probably have anxiety on a daily basis. Crazy what addictions can do
running also releases adrenaline, more than caffeine does. is running bad for you? :lul:

• +1
running also releases adrenaline, more than caffeine does. is running bad for you? :lul:
All stress ages your body. Not a hard concept to understand. Why do you think athletes age rapidly and get wrinkles on their face? It’s only people who are hooked on coffee who defend it. Ask anyone who has quit how they feel, they all say signifcantly better

• +1
Reactions: Spiritualcell and Maalik
All stress ages your body. Not a hard concept to understand. Why do you think athletes age rapidly and get wrinkles on their face? It’s only people who are hooked on coffee who defend it. Ask anyone who has quit how they feel, they all say signifcantly better
they are going to say they feel better because most of the ones who felt the need to quit will have been taking very high doses. Ofc if you are taking 600mg (3-4 coffees daily) you are going to feel better if you quit.

• +1
1 coffee won’t hurt

• Love it
Reactions: Deleted member 52198
Stress and oxidative stress are not the same thing.

• +1
Reactions: Pakicel
they are going to say they feel better because most of the ones who felt the need to quit will have been taking very high doses. Ofc if you are taking 600mg (3-4 coffees daily) you are going to feel better if you quit.
He's just regurgitating information he's heard on youtube, it's not his own opinion, he's puppetized. Hence why he isn't providing clinical studies.

• +1
Reactions: Pakicel