Is life all about emotions?

twojei

twojei

Mistral
“This is the great lesson the depressive learns: Nothing in the world is inherently compelling. Whatever may be really “out there” cannot project itself as an affective experience. It is all a vacuous affair with only a chemical prestige. Nothing is either good or bad, desirable or undesirable, or anything else except that it is made so by laboratories inside us producing the emotions on which we live. And to live on our emotions is to live arbitrarily, inaccurately—imparting meaning to what has none of its own. Yet what other way is there to live? Without the ever-clanking machinery of emotion, everything would come to a standstill. There would be nothing to do, nowhere to go, nothing to be, and no one to know. The alternatives are clear: to live falsely as pawns of affect, or to live factually as depressives, or as individuals who know what is known to the depressive. How advantageous that we are not coerced into choosing one or the other, neither choice being excellent. One look at human existence is proof enough that our species will not be released from the stranglehold of emotionalism that anchors it to hallucinations. That may be no way to live, but to opt for depression would be to opt out of existence as we consciously know it.”

― Thomas Ligotti, The Conspiracy Against the Human Race
Why do people keep on living? Because life feels good. Why do people kill themselves? Because life feels bad. Would it even worth doing something if that something didn't produce something pleasurable? Would humans would still consider living if they became completely unable to feel emotions? I do the hobbies I do beacuse they give me pleasure, but if it weren't for that, I wouldn't even do them. This can sound obvious, but I think there is something that is unnerving here deep down; I'm just nothing else than a machine controlled by emotions manufactured in my brain, and they indeed, dictate my life.

When I remove the romanticism from my hobbies, they feel empty and worthless. It is in the emotion itself where they seem to find that significance, but without it, they would be nothing more than nothing. It is just that life feels like a pure void, a pure emptiness if there is not something that feels good or feels bad. This dichotomy seems to be the true essence of life, and living organisms seem to move by this.

Pleasure and pain. Are they the true motivators of life behing everything?

• +1
Reactions: boss8055 and MoggerGaston
Once you realize life is not fair, you realize it's just about emotions.

• +1
Reactions: !MagicMan777 and twojei
Once you realize life is not fair, you realize it's just about emotions.
Falls water

• +1
Reactions: !MagicMan777 and twojei
For the everyday life yes,but life Is all about of sexual succes,everything else Is cope.

• +1
Reactions: twojei
For the everyday life yes,but life Is all about of sexual succes,everything else Is cope.
That's complete BS, there's much more to life than women

• +1
Reactions: primqwe and twojei
That's complete BS, there's much more to life than women
Yeah, I think so. That would be solely from an evolutionary standpoint, but the problem I say is that we don't know if we can reduce the physical world to pure materalism, that would be too simplistic. This world and universe seems sometimes so bad designed, as if it were on purpose. Maybe the Demiurge theory is real lmao.

• Woah
Reactions: imabetanumale
it's all about living in a fully enclosed self sustaining ecosystem of total and utter delusion. see the religioncels who are certain that eternal life awaits them. it's the only way to be productive and happy.

• +1
Reactions: twojei