Is melatonin dangerous in long periods?

Miliano

Miliano

Iron
Basiaclly i have very much energy and my mind is very active thinking about stuff when i am bored. I have always had it very hard to sleep, it can take hours if i dont take melatonin and i started taking it at like 7 or 8 and i have took it pretty much every day since, i am 16 now am i cooked? I dont even know if i can sleep normally without it.

prolonged usage of melatonin will suppress/downregulate your body’s own ability to produce it

prolonged usage of melatonin will suppress/downregulate your body’s own ability to produce it
There’s no evidence for this happening with melatonin supplementation.

Doesn’t mean it’s impossible though, especially at high doses.

So like anything, you gotta look at the cost:benefit. Sleep is very important so if everything else is in check sleep-hygiene wise but melatonin still really helps you, I’d take it, starting at like 0.3mg and sticking with the lowest dose that works.

• +1
Reactions: Miliano and ey88
There’s no evidence for this happening with melatonin supplementation.

Doesn’t mean it’s impossible though, especially at high doses.

So like anything, you gotta look at the cost:benefit. Sleep is very important so if everything else is in check sleep-hygiene wise but melatonin still really helps you, I’d take it, starting at like 0.3mg and sticking with the lowest dose that works.
So if we assume the worst, and it stops natural production, what then? You keep taking it, maybe up the dose. Not a huge deal so probably worth if it’s helping you sleep.

• +1
Reactions: Miliano
well you wont be able to sleep after some time because its a hormone and when body founds out that it is getting melatonin, then it will stop producing it and i think it forgets how to produce it but not sure.

• +1
Reactions: Miliano