Is muscle mass correlated with strength?

Jason Voorhees

Jason Voorhees

Mod
Staff
I think there is a correlation for sure. Bigger muscles means more strength generally but that doesn't always seem to the case as bodybuilders don't have very impressive One rep maxes while I've seen construction workers with some weird lanky build and never having a gym membership be insanely strong.

• +1
  • JFL
Reactions: Esteban1997, DelonLover1999, butterworld and 5 others
yes it is

Peak strength but not relative strength

• +1
Reactions: Timmy, Chadeep, zurzolo and 3 others
Is height correlated with being tall?

• +1
  • JFL
Reactions: trueceI, Hulk Hogan, OldRooster and 5 others
@SubhumanCurrycel @Orc @Clavicular @5.5psl @User28823

• +1
Reactions: SubhumanCurrycel and zurzolo
Go to a local construction site and ypu are guaranteed to find some skinny dude who looks dyel but will still destroy the strongest guy at your gym
It is because their bones and tendons are more stronger

• +1
Reactions: DelonLover1999, Jason Voorhees and zurzolo
you're right in understanding it's not that simple. training for strength and hypertrophy are different.

• +1
Reactions: Jason Voorhees and zurzolo
Have you seen that video of a professional mountain climber being stronger than bodybuilders?

• +1
Reactions: DelonLover1999, try2beme, maarda and 2 others
Not as much as the avg person would think, I’m pretty fucking weak relative to my mass

• +1
Reactions: DelonLover1999, try2beme and Jason Voorhees
those labour workers ur talking about probably have ideal muscle recruitment

• +1
Reactions: DelonLover1999 and Jason Voorhees
Peak energy is Gutkha they are chewing.

• JFL
Reactions: Willmogulater and Jason Voorhees
No

• +1
Reactions: Jason Voorhees
bodybuilders dont have big one rep maxes because they dont train one rep maxes like powerlifters most bodybuilders are strong on the 8-10 rep range

• +1
Reactions: Chadeep, Jason Voorhees and ChadL1te
I think there is a correlation for sure. Bigger muscles means more strength generally but that doesn't always seem to the case as bodybuilders don't have very impressive One rep maxes while I've seen construction workers with some weird lanky build and never having a gym membership be insanely strong.
There is A correlation.

it can break down at more high level gym training since many people specialize in pure hypertrophy.

• +1
Reactions: Chadeep, Jason Voorhees and ChadL1te
no

strength = nervous system

• +1
Reactions: Jamaldickjavontus, Chadeep, Jason Voorhees and 2 others
Go to a local construction site and ypu are guaranteed to find some skinny dude who looks dyel but will still destroy the strongest guy at your gym
Why’re u asking if u know the answer, jfl

training for muscle growth does build some strength

But people who perform a certain type of movement or workload every day for years are gonna be way better at it than any gym goer. That's why you have construction workers who can lift insane amounts of weight while having not nearly as much muscle mass. Years and years of fiber/neuromotor optimizations

No It isnt having more muscle mass may just make you appear your strong but it doesnt mean your strong so no muscle mass doesnt determine your strength..