Is regular milk estrogenic?

Dystopian

Dystopian

Vril
Bad for health overall or good nutrient dense proteic elixir?

Bad for health overall or good nutrient dense proteic elixir?
It's not estrogenic enough to be harmful. It's good and packed with the most essential nutrients.

• +1
Reactions: Dystopian
It's not estrogenic enough to be harmful. It's good and packed with the most essential nutrients.
Not estrogenic enough? I heard mammals estrogen is giga powerful, do you think I would get high E if I drink 500 ml a day

"The quantity of E2 in whole milk, therefore, is low and is unlikely to pose a health risk for humans."
"The quantity of active estrogens in dairy products is too low to demonstrate biological activity. "

and
"A study reporting high estrogen content in milk should also measure progesterone levels"
Low Estrogen Content in Milk – Functional Performance Systems (FPS)

• +1
  • Love it
Reactions: zeshama, ascension!, Deleted member 14392 and 2 others
my conclusion regarding milk as a food consdering everything:

if you can fully digest it with 0 problems, then drink it. if not then its not worth the hassle. but another question is that the quality of storebought milk is shit

deoends on your ability to digest it properly and if you have leaky gut or not

if you cant digest it stay away from all dairy

if you have leaky gut stay away from all dairy

if you can digest it and have a healthy gut then its a perfect ideal food second only to meat

its that simple, nothing to do with estrogen

• +1
Reactions: Dystopian
Milk is overrated as fuck imo, a lot of saturated fat, sugars in the form of lactose and galactose low relative protein.
Results: After the intake of cow milk, serum estrone (E1) and progesterone concentrations significantly increased, and serum luteinizing hormone, follicle-stimulating hormone and testosterone significantly decreased in men. Urine concentrations of E1, estradiol, estriol and pregnanediol significantly increased in all adults and children. In four out of five women, ovulation occurred during the milk intake, and the timing of ovulation was similar among the three menstrual cycles.
Conclusions: The present data on men and children indicate that estrogens in milk were absorbed, and gonadotropin secretion was suppressed, followed by a decrease in testosterone secretion. Sexual maturation of prepubertal children could be affected by the ordinary intake of cow milk.

Milk is overrated as fuck imo, a lot of saturated fat, sugars in the form of lactose and galactose low relative protein.
drinking milk makes me feel like a baby again and keeps me from killing myself

• JFL
Reactions: ChristianChad and SubhumanCurrycel
guess which regions in india are the tallest you fucking shitskin pls kys for posting retarded studies like this fucking brown mistake

• +1
Reactions: Deleted member 14392 and Mr.Heightism
guess which regions in india are the tallest you fucking shitskin pls kys for posting retarded studies like this fucking brown mistake
My post was about estrogen content not height. Even if there is an correlation between height in Indian states its likely that its due to a difference in poverty and malnourishment not the milk itself being the differentiating factor

My post was about estrogen content not height. Even if there is an correlation between height in Indian states its likely that its due to a difference in poverty and malnourishment not the milk itself being the differentiating factor
no u nigger even poor urbans regions which consume milk are bigger so please kys the study is still irrelvent

copy paste from ray peat forum, hes talking about the study you posted

One thing that he mentions is the fact that most hormones ingested through food have no biological activity. Oral anabolic steroids need to have a methyl group attached to oppose the liver's ability to detoxify them. Otherwise there will be no discernable increase in serum steroid levels.

Now with study on this thread, there is no question that urine levels of estrogen will be high, as the liver will glucoronidate it to be sent to the kidneys for excretion. So in that respect, I don't think that the authors of the study (or anybody for that matter) can seriously discuss the increased urine concentrations as if it is a problem, as it is irrelevant. The only thing that truly matters is whether a food actually increases blood levels of estrogen.

The problem with this study is it is not a randomized controlled study with a control group. Several studies show that the very act of eating anything can transiently lower testosterone/alter hormone profiles. See below...

Habito RC, Ball MJ (2001) Postprandial changes in sex hormones after meals of different composition. Metabolism 50:505–511

Caronia LM, Dwyer AA, Hayden D, Amati F, Pitteloud N, Hayes FJ.Abrupt Decrease in Serum Testosterone Levels After an Oral Glucose Load in Men: Implications for Screening for Hypogonadism. Clin Endocrinol (Oxf). 2012 Jul 17.

Meikle AW, Stringham JD, Woodward MG, Mcmurry MP (1990) Effects of a fat-containing meal on sex hormones in men. Metabolism 39:943–946.

So with the available research showing that eating basically any food transiently changes hormone levels, one has to ask the question, is the study that this thread is questioning simply showing postprandial changes of hormone levels in serum, while showing urinary excretion of the estrone sulfate from the milk of pregnant lactating cows? Are the estrogen levels in the milk drinkers any different than what we would observe in people eating any other type of food?

The fact that drinking milk in the study lowers LH/gonadotropins doesn't mean much either, when considered in the context that postprandial LH/gonadotropins will be lowered after eating basically any foods as well. Fasting increases LH and then eating a meal decreases it.

Another thing is that changes in serum hormones may have more to do with the concentration of solutes in serum in relation to fluid/albumin levels, which change based on normal activities like exercise, eating, etc. Differences in blood volume, dilation and constriction of vessels can have an observable effect on hormone profiles in serum, but this does not mean that there was actually an increase or decrease, just that the ratio of hormones to blood volume changed.

So I would say that the increased serum estrogen in the subjects of this study is concerning. But whether it is from the dairy itself or just eating food in general is yet to be determined, since there is no control group in the study. A couple of interesting things that the researchers could have done is to (1) make it randomized and controlled (2) include a control for one of the following: a control that was isocalorically matched and protein capped but ate no dairy products at all, a control that consumed the same amount of milk but in lactating non-pregnant cows, a control that drank the same amount of non-dairy milk products (soy, almond, etc).

Without a randomized controlled study that includes a control, these authors cannot seriously make any conclusions.

Finally, I would say that ultimately acute hormone responses to food are not what is important. It is basal hormone levels after a fast that matters. It's the same as saying that the postprandial thermic effect of food trumps the basal metabolic rate, which it doesn't. Since the study in question is not testing waking estrogen/testosterone levels after fasting, we don't know whether or not drinking milk has any true lasting effect on hormone levels.

I'm open to the idea that milk can alter hormones, but with the available research I'm not convinced that we actually absorb the hormones and that it affects our serum levels when compared to other foods. I'm not sure whether the net benefits of milk overall outweighs the negatives. As others have said, sticking to lower fat will help lessen the hormonal affects.

• +1
Reactions: SubhumanCurrycel
copy paste from ray peat forum, hes talking about the study you posted

One thing that he mentions is the fact that most hormones ingested through food have no biological activity. Oral anabolic steroids need to have a methyl group attached to oppose the liver's ability to detoxify them. Otherwise there will be no discernable increase in serum steroid levels.

Now with study on this thread, there is no question that urine levels of estrogen will be high, as the liver will glucoronidate it to be sent to the kidneys for excretion. So in that respect, I don't think that the authors of the study (or anybody for that matter) can seriously discuss the increased urine concentrations as if it is a problem, as it is irrelevant. The only thing that truly matters is whether a food actually increases blood levels of estrogen.

The problem with this study is it is not a randomized controlled study with a control group. Several studies show that the very act of eating anything can transiently lower testosterone/alter hormone profiles. See below...

Habito RC, Ball MJ (2001) Postprandial changes in sex hormones after meals of different composition. Metabolism 50:505–511

Caronia LM, Dwyer AA, Hayden D, Amati F, Pitteloud N, Hayes FJ.Abrupt Decrease in Serum Testosterone Levels After an Oral Glucose Load in Men: Implications for Screening for Hypogonadism. Clin Endocrinol (Oxf). 2012 Jul 17.

Meikle AW, Stringham JD, Woodward MG, Mcmurry MP (1990) Effects of a fat-containing meal on sex hormones in men. Metabolism 39:943–946.

So with the available research showing that eating basically any food transiently changes hormone levels, one has to ask the question, is the study that this thread is questioning simply showing postprandial changes of hormone levels in serum, while showing urinary excretion of the estrone sulfate from the milk of pregnant lactating cows? Are the estrogen levels in the milk drinkers any different than what we would observe in people eating any other type of food?

The fact that drinking milk in the study lowers LH/gonadotropins doesn't mean much either, when considered in the context that postprandial LH/gonadotropins will be lowered after eating basically any foods as well. Fasting increases LH and then eating a meal decreases it.

Another thing is that changes in serum hormones may have more to do with the concentration of solutes in serum in relation to fluid/albumin levels, which change based on normal activities like exercise, eating, etc. Differences in blood volume, dilation and constriction of vessels can have an observable effect on hormone profiles in serum, but this does not mean that there was actually an increase or decrease, just that the ratio of hormones to blood volume changed.

So I would say that the increased serum estrogen in the subjects of this study is concerning. But whether it is from the dairy itself or just eating food in general is yet to be determined, since there is no control group in the study. A couple of interesting things that the researchers could have done is to (1) make it randomized and controlled (2) include a control for one of the following: a control that was isocalorically matched and protein capped but ate no dairy products at all, a control that consumed the same amount of milk but in lactating non-pregnant cows, a control that drank the same amount of non-dairy milk products (soy, almond, etc).

Without a randomized controlled study that includes a control, these authors cannot seriously make any conclusions.

Finally, I would say that ultimately acute hormone responses to food are not what is important. It is basal hormone levels after a fast that matters. It's the same as saying that the postprandial thermic effect of food trumps the basal metabolic rate, which it doesn't. Since the study in question is not testing waking estrogen/testosterone levels after fasting, we don't know whether or not drinking milk has any true lasting effect on hormone levels.

I'm open to the idea that milk can alter hormones, but with the available research I'm not convinced that we actually absorb the hormones and that it affects our serum levels when compared to other foods. I'm not sure whether the net benefits of milk overall outweighs the negatives. As others have said, sticking to lower fat will help lessen the hormonal affects.
I'm searching through those studies stating food intake and fat results in a transient drop in testosterone I can accept that is the case I remember reading similar before but none of thee links show thee % decrease in testosterone and they don't mention estrogen. off course its best to have an RCT.

• +1
Reactions: ChristianChad