Is software developer a good career path?

Deleted member 5694

Deleted member 5694

Operation destroy @Turtle
I’m probably gonna do a CS degree with my gf when we graduate high school, what’s CS like? I heard it’s a hard ass course but once you’re out, working as a developer is pretty low stress with high pay. I’d probably seek out a 4 day work week too, any reasons not to do this?

• +1
Reactions: PubertyMaxxer, Cacas112 and Deleted member 6873
It makes decent money yeah, STEM is a very good career path in general.
too bad im doing something on par with liberal arts :lul::lul:

• +1
Reactions: TsarTsar444
Translates to a mediocre salary most of the time

Ffs i wish i was in burgerland to work as a software developer

• +1
Reactions: Mouthbreath
If you're white forget it. Indians and rice will take all the IT jobs. And even if they don't that shit will probably be automated in the future just like almost everything else.

• JFL
  • +1
Reactions: horizontallytall, GetShrekt, Deleted member 4106 and 2 others
1. As software developer you can work from any place in the world.
2. You will compete with 1000000000 Indians.
3. New technologies pop up every 5 years and you must learn them if you want decent money. Right now it's quantum computing. Learn it and you will be rich in 10-15 yrs.

If you're white forget it. Indians and rice will take all the IT jobs. And even if they don't that shit will probably be automated in the future just like almost everything else.
lmao indians suck so bad at software development.

india becoming the "IT capital of the world" is the biggest meme of this century, curries are often stereotyped as being tech savy and high iq'ish but if you actually look at their tech startups they suck ass compared to silicon valley.

chinks are pretty skilled tho, can't deny that.

• +1
Reactions: doncel and sytyl
  • +1
Reactions: MansNotHot
Yea dude its like the fastest growing industry in the world by a large margin. The demand outpaces the supply of developers.

yeah bro just sit and stare at a screen for 8 hours a day

• +1
Reactions: Ponder, TsarTsar444, john2 and 1 other person
yes it's good

t. work 2 hours at most a day from home and even before covid half of my day would be shooting the shit

be prepared to suffer for the first year or two of work tho since uni does nothing to prepare you basically
also you will be competing with people who have been programming since they were kids which will definitely discourage you
I wouldn't recommend it tbh unless you're willing to put in a lot of grinding

Last edited:
  • +1
Reactions: .👽., Deleted member 2205 and Deleted member 5694
I’m probably gonna do a CS degree with my gf when we graduate high school, what’s CS like? I heard it’s a hard ass course but once you’re out, working as a developer is pretty low stress with high pay. I’d probably seek out a 4 day work week too, any reasons not to do this?
Being a developer is low stress? You have close to zero job security and are constantly facing challenges (bugs, design issues, etc).

• +1
Reactions: john2
1. As software developer you can work from any place in the world.
2. You will compete with 1000000000 Indians.
3. New technologies pop up every 5 years and you must learn them if you want decent money. Right now it's quantum computing. Learn it and you will be rich in 10-15 yrs.
You're not in software development if you think Indians take the jobs. Indians do low quality work for cheap pay from small businesses who can barely afford to stay afloat, mostly one-time freelance work.

india becoming the "IT capital of the world" is the biggest meme of this century, curries are often stereotyped as being tech savy and high iq'ish but if you actually look at their tech startups they suck ass compared to silicon valley.

This. Most Indians are very bad at software development and create terrible products. The only reason people even have the idea that Indians are amazing developers is because software development is taught in high school there and everyone tries to get jobs that they clearly aren't qualified to do.

• +1
Reactions: horizontallytall
Being a developer is low stress? You have close to zero job security and are constantly facing challenges (bugs, design issues, etc).
You’re not extremely employable though and those challenges add some variety to your work day. I personally like coding so it wouldn’t stress me

If you're into it then go for it.

You have to keep yourself updated by constantly learning about new software, technologies, etc. for the rest for your career tho.

Try medical school

• Hmm...
Reactions: Deleted member 13787
You're not in software development if you think Indians take the jobs. Indians do low quality work for cheap pay from small businesses who can barely afford to stay afloat, mostly one-time freelance work.

This. Most Indians are very bad at software development and create terrible products. The only reason people even have the idea that Indians are amazing developers is because software development is taught in high school there and everyone tries to get jobs that they clearly aren't qualified to do.
All the discussions about C# online are in Hindi...

literally this, indian coders are no actual competitors because their work is shit

A friend of mine learned programming by himself and made 21'000 euros in his best month freelancing. Studying CS is hard but shit gets better after you get your degree and you can really do whatever you want after that, work a 4 day week like you said at a big company or go the full tryhard route where you hustle hard every day and make good 5 digits regularly or even come up with your own start up. You can choose your own pace and really achieve freedom in a sense that rarely any job offers it to anybody in this modern age.

• +1
Reactions: Deleted member 5694
It’s the most profitable for sure and it will stay this way for a long time, since technology is always going to get more advanced many more programmers will be needed. You can also work from home as a programmer, which is also another benefit for the future and who knows how the world is going to look like after the pandemic and how many people are going to lose their regular jobs that need them to be at that one place at one time. I’d say go for it.

• +1
Reactions: Deleted member 5694