Is this dream worth it?

toji.

toji.

Bronze
First of all, I've been much more active on the forum these last few months. The lookmaxing theme has taken a back seat, and I must say that I love this space: you make me laugh, you make me feel good. In this context (and knowing that messages like ‘stfu’, ‘dnr’, ‘don't read’, ‘L post’, etc. will arrive), I want to open up a bit with you.

I'm 22 years old and currently studying sociology at a reputable university. Unfortunately, I haven't had much luck in terms of grades. Although I have a knack for writing essays, articles, papers, etc., written tests have denied me academic success.

The latter has made me feel indifferent about my degree, yet I have 1 year left to graduate. At first, I decided to study it because it seemed to be related to philosophy (a subject I've been passionate about since I was a child), but it didn't turn out to be what I expected. My mother and father forced me to follow this career, insinuating that philosophy would keep me poor, which is true ( ngl, it's not that different from sociology in terms of income lol), but I prefer poverty with the happiness of doing what I like. Even if I can't practice as a philosopher, I would feel fulfilled working part-time in a coffee shop, dedicating my free time to reading and writing philosophy.

I've thought about moving to Japan, disappearing for a while, getting away from everyone, maybe doing a master's degree in sociology in Tokyo just to have a stable way to live. I don't know if this is a good idea, since, deep down, what I really want is to study philosophy in Germany. Without going any further, I have a dream, and I would like you, with your wisdom, to tell me if it is feasible. My dream is to go and live in another country and to start studying philosophy in a self-taught way. I know that I need to improve my learning and information prioritisation skills. After that period of self-learning I plan to apply to the Humboldt-Universität zu Berlin, as I am passionate about German philosophy, but I don't know any German. I don't know if it is too risky.

Do you think it's possible to fulfil my dream, do you think it's worth it? I apologise in advance for raising these questions, which in some ways are a bit disruptive to the usual posts. I would sincerely like to know your opinions, to know if this has happened to anyone else.

Thanks for reading, I look forward to hearing from you, I hope you all have a good week.

• +1
Reactions: Inclele, fodenenthusiast, Sub5kang and 2 others
0 nigga not a particle

• JFL
  • +1
  • So Sad
Reactions: Sub5kang, User28823, toji. and 2 others
Do it but not in Tokyo. Japan is nice for tourism and shit but not for living there.

• +1
Reactions: bululu_87 and toji.
Why do you want to live in other country? Wouldn't switching city be kinda enough? France is huge. Or go to French speaking Canada or some other french or english speaking country. Or geneva. Or any small country which are more open to english.

Why do you want to live in other country? Wouldn't switching city be kinda enough? France is huge. Or go to French speaking Canada or some other french or english speaking country. Or geneva. Or any small country which are more open to english.
I really want to go to Germany to study philosophy there, I really like the philosophical tradition they have, and I intend to go there to be alone, to have a space for introspection.

• +1
Reactions: BecomingHuman
I really want to go to Germany to study philosophy there, I really like the philosophical tradition they have, and I intend to go there to be alone, to have a space for introspection.
If u really 100% sure about it and if its ur dream do it.

• +1
Reactions: toji.
Follow your dreams bhai.

Try to learn some german too while you are at it too.

I am a STEM student but I thought about studying philosophy in the past and found the thought of me working as a pizza guy while reading and writing in my free time very cool and something I wouldn't dislike.

Hope you get your degree and follow your plans, I will be looking forward for some philosophy related threads from you.

Sincerely yours,
Kamala Harris.

• Love it
Follow your dreams bhai.

Try to learn some german too while you are at it too.

I am a STEM student but I thought about studying philosophy in the past and found the thought of me working as a pizza guy while reading and writing in my free time very cool and something I wouldn't dislike.

Hope you get your degree and follow your plans, I will be looking forward for some philosophy related threads from you.

Sincerely yours,
Kamala Harris.
i knew you especially would support me bhai, first time i read someone with my same aspirations, i love you, together we will seek eudaimonia, all the best to you too.

• Love it
Reactions: faustianspirit

• Ugh..
Reactions: toji. and PrinceofDarkness
First of all, I've been much more active on the forum these last few months. The lookmaxing theme has taken a back seat, and I must say that I love this space: you make me laugh, you make me feel good. In this context (and knowing that messages like ‘stfu’, ‘dnr’, ‘don't read’, ‘L post’, etc. will arrive), I want to open up a bit with you.

I'm 22 years old and currently studying sociology at a reputable university. Unfortunately, I haven't had much luck in terms of grades. Although I have a knack for writing essays, articles, papers, etc., written tests have denied me academic success.

The latter has made me feel indifferent about my degree, yet I have 1 year left to graduate. At first, I decided to study it because it seemed to be related to philosophy (a subject I've been passionate about since I was a child), but it didn't turn out to be what I expected. My mother and father forced me to follow this career, insinuating that philosophy would keep me poor, which is true ( ngl, it's not that different from sociology in terms of income lol), but I prefer poverty with the happiness of doing what I like. Even if I can't practice as a philosopher, I would feel fulfilled working part-time in a coffee shop, dedicating my free time to reading and writing philosophy.

I've thought about moving to Japan, disappearing for a while, getting away from everyone, maybe doing a master's degree in sociology in Tokyo just to have a stable way to live. I don't know if this is a good idea, since, deep down, what I really want is to study philosophy in Germany. Without going any further, I have a dream, and I would like you, with your wisdom, to tell me if it is feasible. My dream is to go and live in another country and to start studying philosophy in a self-taught way. I know that I need to improve my learning and information prioritisation skills. After that period of self-learning I plan to apply to the Humboldt-Universität zu Berlin, as I am passionate about German philosophy, but I don't know any German. I don't know if it is too risky.

Do you think it's possible to fulfil my dream, do you think it's worth it? I apologise in advance for raising these questions, which in some ways are a bit disruptive to the usual posts. I would sincerely like to know your opinions, to know if this has happened to anyone else.

Thanks for reading, I look forward to hearing from you, I hope you all have a good week.
Just do it, nobody wants to die with regret. Sometimes you make bad decision but at the end of the day you learn from them and this actually sounds pretty good

• Love it
Just do it, nobody wants to die with regret. Sometimes you make bad decision but at the end of the day you learn from them and this actually sounds pretty good
You are right, it is better to live a life of attempts, victories and defeats than a life of dreams without an anchor.