Jaw angle implant

Deleted member 3259

Deleted member 3259

Kraken
How come that whenever someone is going for jaw implant, it always seem to be wraparound and not just an angle implant?

jaw angle implant only work if you have a wide chin, good symmetry and ramus

but if you have those 3, I doubt you need implant

• JFL
Reactions: diggbicc
Because most people getting jaw angle augmentation require substantial augmentation to their chin as well, so the surgeons tend toward a one piece silicon wrap as it's less expensive to manufacture and easier to place for the surgeon than divided pieces or other materials. But if you're happy with your chin shape and projection it's certainly NOT necessary, and on many people who don't have a congenitally small mandible, creates too much fullness along the manibular body when they would actually look better and more natural with a bit of a "stepoff" between the angles and lateral aspect of the chin. What is necessary though is going with a material other than silicon, or having the silicon angles custom made to contour to the underlying bony anatomy. Otherwise the off the shelf silicone angles end up misplaced more often than not, and have too much mobility even with screw fixation. For what it's worth I asked Yaremchuk in person his opinion on silicon vs medpor, and he said "honestly, even though I do mainly silicon now, for the mandible, Medpor is better"

• +1
Reactions: PubertyMaxxer
firstly, jaw angle implant is just another name for jaw implant. I remember this confusing me when I first started researching the subject.

You could get just jaw implants if you wanted just a modest improvement, but it is a stressful and expensive operation, so it would be stupid to get just jaw implants for only a modest improvement that could be duplicated with filler.

Getting a substantial augmentation to the gonial angle alone would make the jawline look goofy. There are two ways to remedy that. 1. a one piece silicone implant that wraps around. 2. a 3 piece fitted group of implants that look like picture below.

iu

firstly, jaw angle implant is just another name for jaw implant. I remember this confusing me when I first started researching the subject.

You could get just jaw implants if you wanted just a modest improvement, but it is a stressful and expensive operation, so it would be stupid to get just jaw implants for only a modest improvement that could be duplicated with filler.

Getting a substantial augmentation to the gonial angle alone would make the jawline look goofy. There are two ways to remedy that. 1. a one piece silicone implant that wraps around. 2. a 3 piece fitted group of implants that look like picture below.

iu

It depends on your starting point and preferred aesthetic. Ramirez himself readily acknowledges some people prefer the added concavity and angularity conferred by NOT augmenting the mandibular body with the wing component of his matrix system, and instead doing jaw angles with or without a button chin.

iu
Is that silicone or medpor in the pic?

That's medpor, RZ extended chin and RZ mandibular angles by Stryker

Interesting, how much would cost a custom piece like that?
Those are off the shelf implants. Custom Medpor produced from a CT scan by Stryker is very expensive, though there is a company in the US called Poriferous that produces ct designed supor (their version of medpor) implants at a cost comparable to custom silicon implants.

depending who does it, $15,000 - $25,000
I really though it would be more like 50K+ tbh
Those are off the shelf implants. Custom Medpor produced from a CT scan by Stryker is very expensive, though there is a company in the US called Poriferous that produces ct designed supor (their version of medpor) implants at a cost comparable to custom silicon implants.
What's the difference between medpor and supor? Also would you recommend getting ct designed supor or just saving up for medpor (Correct me if I'm wrong but I'm assuming that the subpor ones aren't that great since they are at a cost comparable to the silicon ones)?

I really though it would be more like 50K+ tbh

What's the difference between medpor and supor? Also would you recommend getting ct designed supor or just saving u for medpor (Correct me if I'm wrong but I'm assuming that the subpor ones aren't that great since they are at a cost comparable to the silicon ones)?

They're very similar, "Supor" is a little more malleable than "Medpor", and pore diameter is slightly different, but they are largely the same for all practical purposes. I don't think Supor is inferior, they're less expensive because the company that produces them is a relatively small one based in the US. I happen to know for a fact Oscar Ramirez, the surgeon who designed the implants oldrooster posted, often uses Supor for his custom implant work and says he prefers them.

Last edited:
  • +1
Reactions: Wallenberg and National Rodgerism
They're very similar, "Supor" is a little more malleable than "Medpor", and pore diameter is slightly different, but they are largely the same for all practical purposes. I don't think Supor is inferior, they're less expensive because the company that produces them is a relatively small one based in the US. I happen to know for a fact Oscar Ramirez, the surgeon who designed the implants oldrooster posted, often uses Supor for his custom implant work and says he prefers them.
Damn, thank you for all the info, mate. What do you think would be the best approach? Getting subpor by Poriferous or getting a subpor custom implant by Ramirez? Also how much would cost in your estimates?

Poriferous is the company that produces supor implants, not the surgeon. Ramirez is a talented surgeon, but is on the very expensive end of the spectrum, is up there in age, and has had some legal troubles. Long story short, there is no "best" option, only different options. If you're serious about it, consult with a few different surgeons who perform the procedure and go from there

• +1
Reactions: National Rodgerism
Poriferous is the company that produces supor implants, not the surgeon. Ramirez is a talented surgeon, but is on the very expensive end of the spectrum, is up there in age, and has had some legal troubles. Long story short, there is no "best" option, only different options. If you're serious about it, consult with a few different surgeons who perform the procedure and go from there
any eu surgeon who does custom zygo implant?