Jaw assymmetry and condylectomy

limpeh086

limpeh086

Iron
I've seen doctors, orthodontists, had braces for a long time, and finally found out about condylectomy.

My occlusal plane has a cant, it is tilted towards the right side. I didn't know better, so went to see an orthodontist who extracted teeth and gave me braces. The bite looked much better, but never completely resolved because I still chew on my left side. The teeth on my right just almost touch, but not touching. My chin is tilted to the left as well.

I read about double jaw surgery and was excited that it can fix the assymmetry and by fixing the cant my teeth can touch evenly. But now I read about condylectomy and it seem like this is what I need. I am an adult, my condyles are not actively growing. My ramus are at lengths from the bottom of each ear.

My concern with just DJS alone is that it would not fix the problem and I will still have assymmetry after. Anyone had similar experience? Do I need condylectomy + DJS or just DJS?

• +1
Reactions: Clavicular
you likely need both condylectomy & double jaw surgery. the condylectomy will fix the condylar asymmetry, & the double jaw surgery will correct the occlusal cant & facial alignment.

Probably TMJ related which caused a slight crooked jaw, something similar to what i have.

You will 100% require surgery to fix this: depending on how severe just fillers could fix but u could require a lot more procedures depending.

If it isn't all that bad I'd say just live with it unless its going to change u from what u are now to like Chad. For me ive just suffered from crippling insecurity of it but IRL not a single person has pointed it out to me even after I told them, other than my orthodontist who told me after scans.

Probably TMJ related which caused a slight crooked jaw, something similar to what i have.

You will 100% require surgery to fix this: depending on how severe just fillers could fix but u could require a lot more procedures depending.

If it isn't all that bad I'd say just live with it unless its going to change u from what u are now to like Chad. For me ive just suffered from crippling insecurity of it but IRL not a single person has pointed it out to me even after I told them, other than my orthodontist who told me after scans.

I will need DJS for another issue. The question is whether DJS can address uneven condyles or condylectomy is needed as well. The surgeon only spoke about DJS, but now reading up about condyles, I am wondering if condylectomy is needed too.

I read that in adults without active condylar hyperplasia the treatment is DJS. But the way I see it, the DJS would camouflage the uneven condyles, but the assymmetry is reduced somewhat but the problem is still there.

Try some conservative approaches first, you may be surprised at their efficacy