Ketoconazole and Tea Tree for Seborrheic Dermatitis (Redness on face)

HandsomeTwink420

HandsomeTwink420

Logging my bimax experience
For a long time, I had mild redness across my nose, which I thought was caused by using Breathe Right nasal strips. However, I stopped using the nasal strips six months ago, and the redness didn’t go away.

Then I came across a video where the guy had the exact same redness pattern as me:

It turns out the redness is called seborrheic dermatitis. This condition tends to show up in areas with a lot of sebaceous (oil) glands, such as the nose, eyebrows, forehead, eyelids, behind the ears, and along the chin. It’s believed to be caused by an overgrowth of Malassezia, a yeast that normally lives on the skin. When it overgrows, it triggers inflammation, redness, and scaling in these oily areas.

In the video, the guy recommended using a Pyrithione Zinc 2% Face Wash to treat it.

I went to the pharmacy to find it but had no luck. It’s surprisingly hard to find, and I didn’t want to order it online because shipping to where I live is expensive.

I found out that Ketoconazole and Tea Tree Oil can also kill the fungus causing the redness. So, for the past week, I’ve been applying a combination of Ketoconazole and some form of Tea Tree Oil on my nose every day. I leave it on for 5 minutes and then wash it off.

I also stopped using my CeraVe cleanser and moisturizer because I learned they contain ingredients that can feed the fungus and make the condition worse. I even avoided using sunscreen during this time, which might have helped too.

There’s a long list of ingredients to avoid, which you can check out here:
https://simpleskincarescience.com/p..._to_Avoid_if_You_have_Malassezia_Folliculitis

The treatment worked quickly, and my redness noticeably reduced. Sorry for the lighting differences between my before and after photos, but trust me, it worked. The redness used to be bad enough that I’d actually fraud using a bit of foundation or BB cream before job interviews or social events.

Before
After

I also noticed my skin got much smoother which was nice, although, the Tea Tree Shampoo does also seem to make the skin a bit shiny which isn't so nice. The only time I experienced irritation was when I applied a Tea Tree antiseptic to my whole face without washing it off. The next day, I woke up with some flakiness around my nose and lips.

Just sharing my experience for anyone dealing with the same issue. I’ve attached photos of the products I used.

Good luck!

Ketoconazole
Tea Tree Shampoo
Tea Tree Cream

Last edited:
  • +1
Reactions: xegigi
good thread

• +1
Reactions: HandsomeTwink420
Common areas with seborrheic dermatitis

Common areas