Maxilla and Elastics.

D

Deleted member 6892

Kraken
My ortho prescribed me class II elastics for my overbite, should I wear them? Will they only bring my mandible forward or will they recess the maxilla as well?

• WTF
  • +1
Reactions: ThreadMatters, Deleted member 5683 and PURE ARYAN GENETICS
Recess maxilla

• +1
  • So Sad
Reactions: didntreadlol, Deleted member 5683, Deleted member 2621 and 2 others
  • +1
Reactions: ThreadMatters, Deleted member 5892 and Darkstrand
Fuck. So the only other option to treat it without fucking up your face is surgery, right?
I'd say so, but definitely go to a maxfax for any jaw complications in general, most orthos and dentists always want to go with braces

If you don't want your upper to go back you have 3 options that I can think of:
•deny the elastics or just pretend you've been wearing them and somehow jut your jaw secretly at the checkup, then get BSSO later to lengthen the mandible
•wear the elastics but get/build a facepuller for your maxilla so that the back teeth will hopefully move instead
•(last resort) mew really really hard

I'm not hugely knowledgeable on this so defo get some other opinions.

• +1
Reactions: Deleted member 6892
If you don't want your upper to go back you have 3 options that I can think of:
•deny the elastics or just pretend you've been wearing them and somehow jut your jaw secretly at the checkup, then get BSSO later to lengthen the mandible
•wear the elastics but get/build a facepuller for your maxilla so that the back teeth will hopefully move instead
•(last resort) mew really really hard

I'm not hugely knowledgeable on this so defo get some other opinions.
Yeah I’m deciding to tell my ortho to fuck off in regards to elastics. I don’t think jutting my jaw forward will work cause they will take a scan of my teeth at the end of the treatment . Probably going to get 4 permanent retainers on front teeth so they don’t move and then continue to mew. I’m turning 15, can a face puller help forward growth? Which one would you recommend?

• +1
Reactions: ThreadMatters
at your age elastics wouldn’t do very much harm if at all, the main problem is that they prevent growth of kids in growth spurts but you have very little growth left and your bone is hard so it will mainly just shift the teeth instead of your maxilla

it may still recess your maxilla slightly so I personally my self wouldn’t do it but it’s notngoing to take you down 2 psl points either

• +1
Reactions: Darkstrand and Deleted member 6892
at your age elastics wouldn’t do very much harm if at all, the main problem is that they prevent growth of kids in growth spurts but you have very little growth left and your bone is hard so it will mainly just shift the teeth instead of your maxilla

it may still recess your maxilla slightly so I personally my self wouldn’t do it but it’s notngoing to take you down 2 psl points either
I‘m a late bloomer if that matters. My plates are open and I had a growth spurt this winter, so maybe there’s some facial growth left as well. I’m deciding against elastics as a precaution. Do you know if there is any way to achieve greater forward growth at 15?

Last edited:
  • +1
I‘m a late bloomer if that matters. My plates are open and I had a growth spurt this winter, so maybe there’s some facial growth left as well. I’m deciding against elastics as a precaution. Do you know if there is any way to achieve greater forward growth at 15?
Yes I would wait then, facepulling is the only way nonsurgically but there aren’t any good ways atm

• +1
Yes I would wait then, facepulling is the only way nonsurgically but there aren’t any good ways atm
I see. I’m gonna try to do face pulling after braces if everything else fails then.

• +1
I see. I’m gonna try to do face pulling after braces if everything else fails then.
ask your ortho for protraction headgear first they might offer it if not you can order one your self

ask your ortho for protraction headgear first they might offer it if not you can order one your self
I’m going to ask for it but from what I read it’s supposed to treat underbite. Will it make my overbite worse?

• +1
Yeah I’m deciding to tell my ortho to fuck off in regards to elastics. I don’t think jutting my jaw forward will work cause they will take a scan of my teeth at the end of the treatment . Probably going to get 4 permanent retainers on front teeth so they don’t move and then continue to mew. I’m turning 15, can a face puller help forward growth? Which one would you recommend?
Damn 4 permanent retainers is alot, I've got 1 at the bottom.
Everyone here would disagree here but you could probs get some great forward growth from mewing at that age- look up Looksmaxx Doc on YouTube.
If u think that's cope, there's a home-made facepuller tutorial in this site's archives. Also if you have the money here's a professional one:
I have no clue if facepulling works for forward growth tbh, I was reccomending it as support for the front teeth so that the elastics would instead hopefully act on the mandible (tug of war idea)

Also this is just an unrelated life-hack but:
After your braces are done, if you're good with your tongue posture u won't need them anymore at the top (not sure about bottom). I ditched mine years ago and my teeth have stayed straight and got 1.1mm wider with natural growth.

Good luck with everything bro 👍

• +1
Everyone here would disagree here but you could probs get some great forward growth from mewing at that age- look up Looksmaxx Doc on YouTube.
If u think that's cope, there's a home-made facepuller tutorial in this site's archives. Also if you have the money here's a professional one:
I have no clue if facepulling works for forward growth tbh, I was reccomending it as support for the front teeth so that the elastics would instead hopefully act on the mandible (tug of war idea)

After your braces are done, if you're good with your tongue posture u won't need them anymore at the top (not sure about bottom). I ditched mine years ago and my teeth have stayed straight and got 1.1mm wider with natural growth.

[/QUOTE

4 is a lot? I thought Mew said that having retainers in front 4 and lower 4 teeth would make it so they don’t recess but maxilla expands. I’m mewing already hopefully once I’m done with braces I can ditch the retainers. I’m definitely thinking about getting facepuller + elastics. Elastics from what I get move your mandible forward and maxilla back so they meet at midpoint, with facepuller though there is a chance only mandible moves.

Thanks for info though bro.

• +1
I’m going to ask for it but from what I read it’s supposed to treat underbite. Will it make my overbite worse?
oh my bad I thought you had underbite not overbite

that’s a lot easier to fix chew gum 1 hour a day and always rest with your molars in light contact and it will fix it self

oh my bad I thought you had underbite not overbite

that’s a lot easier to fix chew gum 1 hour a day and always rest with your molars in light contact and it will fix it self
Yeah I’m already doing all of this. Will it fix reccesed mandible as well?

• +1
  • +1
Yes how long have you been doing it for?
Started last month when I got blackpilled, so obviously not a lot and I don’t expect results to come so fast. I’m chewing falim gum 1 hour a day 30 min on each side, mewing, doing chin tucks 20x3 and have my molars contact in resting posture. Hopefully by next year I’ll achieve some progress. I don’t expect serious progression until after I take off braces.

• +1
Started last month when I got blackpilled, so obviously not a lot and I don’t expect results to come so fast. I’m chewing falim gum 1 hour a day 30 min on each side, mewing, doing chin tucks 20x3 and have my molars contact in resting posture. Hopefully by next year I’ll achieve some progress. I don’t expect serious progression until after I take off braces.
mandible upswing happens pretty fast since it isn’t generating any new bone just shifting into the proper position, results for that generally takes 6-8 months depending on how dedicated you are

mandible upswing happens pretty fast since it isn’t generating any new bone just shifting into the proper position, results for that generally takes 6-8 months depending on how dedicated you are
Should I jut my jaw forward when I mew?

• +1
no that will just mess up your jaw joint, mewing with braces does nothing though
Yeah I know I’m mewing to get used to proper tongue posture so my teeth don’t relapse when I take my braces off.

• +1
Reactions: ThreadMatters and retard
Never wear elastics and how old are you

Turning 15 in June.
I had braces and elastics at around that age bc I had underbite and it recessed my maxilla and mainly my lower jaw

Anyway don't wear those elastics under any circumstances, don't listen to the guy who says it won't do harm at your age. You said you had overbite so the only alternative I can think of right now is BSSO surgery at a later age.

• +1
I had braces and elastics at around that age bc I had underbite and it recessed my maxilla and mainly my lower jaw

Anyway don't wear those elastics under any circumstances, don't listen to the guy who says it won't do harm at your age. You said you had overbite so the only alternative I can think of right now is BSSO surgery at a later age.
Yeah I’m getting my braces off as soon as possible. Fortunately still have good Maxilla forward growth but a recessed mandible. Even if elastics move my mandible forward they will recess the maxilla and ruin my cheekbones completely. Not worth the trade off. I’m definitely thinking about moneymaxxing rn so I can afford jaw surgery before college if mewing and other methods fail.

• +1
Reactions: ThreadMatters and Deleted member 5683
Yeah I’m getting my braces off as soon as possible. Fortunately still have good Maxilla forward growth but a recessed mandible. Even if elastics move my mandible forward they will recess the maxilla and ruin my cheekbones completely. Not worth the trade off. I’m definitely thinking about moneymaxxing rn so I can afford jaw surgery before college if mewing and other methods fail.
Good on you man, I wish I found this stuff at your age. Don't forget to practice good body and head posture along with mewing. Ive also heard insurance can cover the surgery if you have sleep apnea

• +1