Monster is a pretty overrated anime 4/10

D

Deleted member 11126

Kraken
Only reason I didn't rate it lower was that it has some cool one off episodes and background characters. I also like the historical aspect of East Germany.

But the anime is just not good. Its 75 episodes long builds up Johan to be some based villain or like the next Hitler. And it turns out his only goal is to die or some gay shit. Maybe I missed something but its about as deep as Batman and the Jokers relationship. I wish I stopped watching it half way through I kept watching expecting some crazy plot reveal

• Ugh..
  • +1
Reactions: JovenCansao and Deleted member 13787
Johan has a good aesthetic but Griffith will always mogs

Attachments

• JohanLiebert.jpeg
    JohanLiebert.jpeg
    113.6 KB · Views: 0
  • +1
Reactions: Zylk
It is a good anime 8/10, although the manga 20th Century Boys by the same author mogs Monster into oblivion

• +1
Reactions: Deleted member 14693 and Deleted member 11126
keep coping
its 10/10

• +1
Reactions: Deleted member 14693 and Deleted member 11126
i think you and me need to rewatch it tbh
i also found it underwhelming but i watched it like 5 years ago

• +1
Reactions: Deleted member 11126
keep coping
its 10/10
The plot reads to me like some guy combined the Joker and Batman with German nihilism philosophy.

It is a good anime 8/10, although the manga 20th Century Boys by the same author mogs Monster into oblivion
I keep hearing its good I will have a e-reader soon to read it.

• +1
Reactions: Zylk
i think you and me need to rewatch it tbh
i also found it underwhelming but i watched it like 5 years ago
I don't get what was so great about it. At the very least it could have been done in 20 episodes half of the show was irrelevant

• +1
Reactions: Deleted member 20370
The plot reads to me like some guy combined the Joker and Batman with German nihilism philosophy.
i cant compare it to capeshit at all
but johan is the best character in anime and highest iq

• +1
Reactions: gribsufer1
ugh, you're just sexually attracted to johan

Johan is literally just a nihilist he seems cool because they build him for the entire show. Where is the payoff?

I keep hearing its good I will have a e-reader soon to read it.
Yes, it's one of the best manga I read tbh

The main antagonist is 100 times better than Johan, that manga has better plot development, characters and is more involving than Monster

Recommended

• +1
I enjoyed it tbh
But the ending was kinda retarded

• +1
I enjoyed it tbh
But the ending was kinda retarded
endings do kinda make or break shows. A bad show can be made good if they tie it all together in the last few episodes or vice versa.

The longer or dramatic they build up the show the better the ending needs to be. That's why I love the shows where it starts out sucky but then the ending is very good. A show needs a payoff equal or greater to the progression of the show

endings do kinda make or break shows. A bad show can be made good if they tie it all together in the last few episodes or vice versa.
Indeed, it's what the show was building up for
If my memory serves correctly Johan escaped through a window and went on to commit his deeds, when he was finally captured and taken to a hospital he escaped again through a window jfl, and the Mc got nothing at the end
But as you said, the side characters and setting was very well done so I wouldn't say it is a 4/10

• +1
Indeed, it's what the show was building up for
If my memory serves correctly Johan escaped through a window and went on to commit his deeds, when he was finally captured and taken to a hospital he escaped again through a window jfl, and the Mc got nothing at the end
But as you said, the side characters and setting was very well done so I wouldn't say it is a 4/10
Yeah maybe 6/10. Like I enjoyed all the side stories in Germany. But the overall plot was bad and too long

• +1
Reactions: JovenCansao
Search up the manga 20th century boys
That mogs monster anime but monster is 10/10 manga

• +1
Reactions: Deleted member 14693
Legend of the Galactic Heroes mogs all other anime

i rate it 10/10 i remember that it had a slow pace but i only remember the good parts so that makes it 10

• +1
Reactions: Deleted member 14693
my oneitis watched that, i never even bother (jk ofc i watched all of it and learnt the entire plot in order to have something to talk about which didnt work ofc)

Read 20th Century Boys. Then you can tell me if Friend or Johan mogs
14693.jpg

It's a slow anime, ideal for playing in the background while doing other work provide you watch dub