Movies could change lives

D

donkeyskin

Iron
Nothing scientific, but let's take Elliot Rodger for example. He was mad at the world because he was a virgin with no women, despite being a good looking guy. What if he watched "The 40-Year Old Virgin" (with an open mind of course)? Would he still have done the things he did? Or would he have a realization that maybe being a virgin isn't the end of the world and there are other things to keep yourself happy (even if you're kind of a loser jfl). Plus if you watch some of the clips of his youtube videos, he talks very edgy. Half of the time I thought he was being purely ironic but then realized he was being for real. If he had watched a movie with a similar main character but shed in a not so good light, perhaps he would have realized what an edgelord he was and would've toned the attitude down (i.e. Archie's Final project). Also movies have the potential of helping you develop social skills by giving you an outside perspective on things. Take "The Hangover" for example, could give you insight on how a cool and funny friendship dynamic could work in a group of guys. Although they should be taken with a grain of salt because of obvious Hollywood distortion, such as Disney love and how that doesn't really happen. I often think about situations and how some things could be avoided if they watched a certain movie on the subject. Another added benefit? A conversation topic for other movie lovers.

I just feel like all my problems melt away when watching a movie, my problems seem so trivial compared to the main character's problems. Really makes you feel light and weightless and makes you appreciative of what you have. That's why I even enjoy movies that are hard to watch such as "Pi". After watching it I feel a sense of accomplishment and am glad that's it's finally over and my day seems so bright after watching a movie in black and white. And if life is feeling too deep, there's light-hearted movies like "Shallow Hal". If you are feeling bad and want a change of attitude even if i's temporary, watch a movie. Of course there's the topic of what movies to watch but that's another discussion

Last edited:
  • +1
Reactions: Bars and finn899
Of course it would help them sadly tho once mental illness takes over you enter a loop almost like a zombie,no people in his state of mind would watch movies,very good thread btw,I also love waxtching movies and zoning in to it soo hard it starts to feel like your there and you forget it’s not real

• +1
Reactions: donkeyskin
very wise

• +1
Reactions: donkeyskin