MSE after bimax - is it possible?

H

highT

Master
I had bimax several years ago back when I was 19. I was a typical class III before surgery. Long narrow face, narrow palate, compromised airways etc. My bimax was a success and corrected most of my issues plus I was lucky enough to have no permanent numbness or other complications.

However, I still have a narrow palate/midface and my nasal breathing is definitely not ideal. Which makes me highly interested in MSE. Back when my bimax was performed, MSE wasn’t really available yet.

So I am wondering now- does anyone know if it is possible to have MSE after a bimax? I already had all of the plates & screws removed, years ago, so I have no foreign objects in my face, and all of the bone is fused back together.

• +1
Reactions: 6485b025t and Entschuldigung
Yes

• +1
Reactions: highT and Blackgymmax

THE PROPHECY WAS FORETOLD

• JFL
  • +1
Reactions: JihadChad, Warlow, Deleted member 906 and 4 others
Fuck
I need MSE ASAP my nose breathing is terrible

• +1
Reactions: Lev Peshkov
it would be very unstable and risky so probably no

• So Sad
Reactions: highT
I had bimax several years ago back when I was 19. I was a typical class III before surgery. Long narrow face, narrow palate, compromised airways etc. My bimax was a success and corrected most of my issues plus I was lucky enough to have no permanent numbness or other complications.

However, I still have a narrow palate/midface and my nasal breathing is definitely not ideal. Which makes me highly interested in MSE. Back when my bimax was performed, MSE wasn’t really available yet.

So I am wondering now- does anyone know if it is possible to have MSE after a bimax? I already had all of the plates & screws removed, years ago, so I have no foreign objects in my face, and all of the bone is fused back together.

You can have it but you will need surgery too, more like a SARPE.

You can have it but you will need surgery too, more like a SARPE.
Damn. I am guessing this method wouldn’t allow any proper midfacial expansion that I otherwise would’ve been able to achieve with standard MSE treatment?

Right but your problem is your breathing, isn’t it? 😉

• +1
Reactions: goat2x
Right but your problem is your breathing, isn’t it? 😉
Pretty snarky reply for an alleged surgeon.

I have a narrow nasal floor which limits my ability to breathe yes, and this correlates to a narrow midfacial appearance as well.

If you’re so knowledgeable why not bother explaining why MSE wouldn’t be an option? There is seemingly no data or case studies on this specific situation, so I’d really love to know how you arrived at your conclusion. The bone has been fused back together for nearly a decade at this point and all plates and screws were removed over 6 years ago. I’m still young and in my 20s. It seems you must be implying that a bony surface becomes weak or fragile after a break and remodeling occurs. Where is any scientific literature to back this up? Not that I disagree; I’m simply unable to find any such documentation. In fact, I’ve researched the topic heavily and the consensus appears to be that any broken bone once healed is no more or less likely to break again; the structural integrity is neither compromised nor bolstered

Last edited:
  • +1
Reactions: 6485b025t
Pretty snarky reply for an alleged surgeon.

I have a narrow nasal floor which limits my ability to breathe yes, and this correlates to a narrow midfacial appearance as well.

If you’re so knowledgeable why not bother explaining why MSE wouldn’t be an option? There is seemingly no data or case studies on this specific situation, so I’d really love to know how you arrived at your conclusion. The bone has been fused back together for nearly a decade at this point and all plates and screws were removed over 6 years ago. I’m still young and in my 20s. It seems you must be implying that a bony surface becomes weak or fragile after a break and remodeling occurs. Where is any scientific literature to back this up? Not that I disagree; I’m simply unable to find any such documentation. In fact, I’ve researched the topic heavily and the consensus appears to be that any broken bone once healed is no more or less likely to break again; the structural integrity is neither compromised nor bolstered

Good points... I was just giving you my opinion, for free. But you are right in every word.

I can’t really explain why I have such an opinion... but it is my opinion.

• JFL
Reactions: 6485b025t