My experience during an acting class...

HarrierDuBois

HarrierDuBois

Writer
Typecast - assign (an actor or actress) repeatedly to the same type of role, as a result of the appropriateness of their appearance or previous success in such roles.

So now you know what the word means I will explain what I am talking about. I took part in an acting class a year ago and we were all being assigned to different roles and scenes via typecasting. We were playing in groups of two. What was brutal was how everyone was perfectly typecasted into the role they appeared to belong to judging by their looks.

The handsome guy in the group got to play a handsome guy in a bar who had just fought off some inappropriate dude and the high class hot girl had to play a girl simping for him for his bravery.

The bald guy with glasses and a beard (Vsauce pheno) in our group had to play a pervert who tried to blackmail and rape a drug addict chick, the girl had the perfect low class drug addict pheno as well JFL.

The sporty kinda good looking dark triad teenager in our group got to legit play a low inhib bad boy bully straight up bullying a chick in his scene.

I (who were 17 at the time) got to play a guy who were gonna propose to my girlfriend lol (once again proves I appear way above my age).
Also pretty insane how the acting class teacher told me I could play a 25/yo only due to my voice carrying me to appear that much more mature even though he said I had "young looks", not sure if that is good or not.

I could go on and on but it's pretty brutal how accurate the typecasting was. I aspire to do some acting as well so I have seen first hand how important it is to get your look right for the roles you want before you even attempt getting into it.

TL;DR: The people in my acting class were being perfectly given roles that fit their appearence, so the handsome guys got to play cool guys and the ugly guys got to play creepy guys solely based on their appearence.

• +1
Reactions: Annihilator and Gonthar
TL;DR: The people in my acting class were being perfectly given roles that fit their appearence, so the handsome guys got to play cool guys and the ugly guys got to play creepy guys solely based on their appearence.
Yes, this is pretty standard, I went to acting classes too and the teacher told to each one of us what our "type" is and what kind of roles we could play - if you're short/bald/ugly/etc. you're kinda stuck with comedy roles or playing dimwits, weirdos, dumb people, comic relief, etc. Tall and handsome can secure you leading parts and playing heroes, lovers, important people, etc.

• JFL
  • +1
Reactions: Deleted member 20399 and HarrierDuBois
Yes, this is pretty standard, I went to acting classes too and the teacher told to each one of us what our "type" is and what kind of roles we could play - if you're short/bald/ugly/etc. you're kinda stuck with comedy roles or playing dimwits, weirdos, dumb people, comic relief, etc. Tall and handsome can secure you leading parts and playing heroes, lovers, important people, etc.
This is crucial for me tbh. I want to really try and act and I know that I will have to reach a certain thresold for the roles I want. I am already tall (190 cm), but I have a MTN 5.5/10 face atm so I must looksmax it fully before I will try to gain entry into that industry. The last thing I want is to get stuck as a comic reilef because I did not ascend fully before starting acting.

• +1
Reactions: Gonthar
This is crucial for me tbh. I want to really try and act and I know that I will have to reach a certain thresold for the roles I want. I am already tall (190 cm), but I have a MTN 5.5/10 face atm so I must looksmax it fully before I will try to gain entry into that industry. The last thing I want is to get stuck as a comic reilef because I did not ascend fully before starting acting.
A lot of the time you'll play just what's given to you, few actors can afford the luxury to reject or pick what roles they want to play, this happens only after they become famous, so you could end up being typecasted whether you like it or not.

• +1
Reactions: HarrierDuBois
A lot of the time you'll play just what's given to you, few actors can afford the luxury to reject or pick what roles they want to play, this happens only after they become famous, so you could end up being typecasted whether you like it or not.
Yes. But if you are tall and got good prototypical masculine looks you will be handed the more serious hero/villain roles while if you are unattractive you will be handed the Quasimodo pheno roles.

• +1
Reactions: Gonthar and Annihilator