My guide to curly hair

D

Deleted member 1476

Kraken
Curly hair is relatively simple to maintain and can be a major looksmax, as long as you know how to treat it properly and what to avoid. This brief guide will take you through the basic principles of looking after your curls with some tips and recommendations

1. Shampoo and conditioner

Most contain sulphates and silicones which are fine for straight hair, but dehydrate and lock vital moisture out of curls, leaving them dry, frizzy and prone to tangling. Using sulphate and silicone-free products is essential to allow your curls to retain more of their natural oil and absorb beneficial ingredients

2. Styling

Even with suitable shampoo and conditioner, curls need some protection from frizz from a product that contains gelling agents. Gel or mousse should be applied when the hair is wet: when it is dry, the product will create a cast which can be gently scrunched out to leave your curls soft and defined. As a rule, never brush or comb curly hair, wet or dry; there are some exceptions such as a detangling comb or the Denman brush when dripping wet

3. Drying

You will notice that your curls are almost perfectly defined when wet and covered in gel. If you want them to stay that way, you must minimise disruption during the drying process. The best way to do this is to use a hair dryer on a low setting with a diffuser attachment: it gives you the heat you need to dry your hair quickly without the blast of air that blows curls into nothing. Alternatively, you can air dry without a towel; if you must, use a cotton t-shirt instead of a towel to gently soak up the excess water

4. Treatment and repair

Before the above can properly benefit your curls, you might need to repair any heat damage and remove any build-up of silicones and other ingredients. To do this, begin with a 'reset wash', using a shampoo that contains sulphates but NOT silicones to strip your hair. Then, use hair masks once a week to nourish and improve the condition of your hair

5. My routine

- During my evening shower, I shampoo and condition my hair with Umberto Giannini Curly Jelly Wash and Curl Jelly Care, then air dry or blow dry with a diffuser
- In the morning, I soak my hair under the shower and apply Umberto Giannini Curl Jelly, then blow dry with a diffuser
- I use the ghd Air hair dryer and a ghd diffuser

6. Product recommendations

- Cantu ($)
- Shea Moisture ($$)
- Maui Moisture ($$)
- Ouidad ($$$)
- Umberto Giannini (UK) ($$)
- Boots Essentials Curl Creme (UK) ($)
- LA Looks gel (US) ($)
- Eco Styler gel ($)
- Dyson Supersonic hair dryer ($$$)
- ghd Air hair dryer ($$)

7. Tips

- Hanging your head upside down whilst going through your routine can help with volume
- /r/curlyhair is a good resource if you need more techniques, product advice or information about porosity, protein etc.
- Bri'ish users, Eyal from Love Island uses the Boots curl cream I mentioned
- All of the above applies to coils (Afro hair) too, though a more high maintenance routine will likely be required. I am Caucasian with fine 3A curls

8. TL;DR

- No sulphates or silicones
- No brushing, combing or towelling
- Gel or mousse when wet for curl definition
- Air dry or blow dry with a diffuser to minimise frizz

tagging the minecrafters @Mouthbreath @larsanova69 @mamacookoil @portuguesecel @TraumatisedOgre @ArvidGustavsson @looksmaxxer234

• +1
Reactions: Phronesis, Deprived, Deleted member 14563 and 19 others
@jm17

• Love it
Reactions: Deleted member 1476
Good thread

Also look into protein to moisture ratio

Protein made my hair very stiff and I avoid it/ only use it occasionally.

Many people do well with conditioner only and a shampoo every few weeks

Ah, also try to look for cheaper alternatives in local drugstores.

This tool can help you find out whether a product is curly hair approved or not

• +1
Reactions: Deleted member 13945 and Deleted member 1476
Any guides on lip reduction bro?

• JFL
Reactions: Deleted member 7785 and Deleted member 1476
@portuguesecel @TraumatisedOgre
cape-fear.gif

• WTF
  • Love it
Reactions: Toth's thot and Deleted member 1476
Is any of this worth doing when you have semi straight semi curly hair.

• +1
too much xenoestrogens
im caveman but i would say
no poo
cold water and let them dry naturally
you need 10cm on top minimum

• +1
Reactions: Deleted member 10615, AscendingHero and Deleted member 1476
Is any of this worth doing when you have semi straight semi curly hair.
It might make your waves slightly wavier, do whatever makes your hair look good

• +1
Reactions: Danish_Retard
this thread does not apply to nw6 buzzed balkan farmhands
true, but it does apply to shitposters who have never brushed their teeth in their entire lives

• WTF
  • Love it
Reactions: Toth's thot and Deleted member 1476
if i cut out sulphates my hair becomes dandruffy and oily

• +1
if i cut out sulphates my hair becomes dandruffy and oily
Regular shampoos are made for your kind of hair, I would recommend getting some bougie salon shit like Kerastase

thanq @JM10 my hair is naturally curly but have trouble maintaining it. This could help

• Love it
  • +1
Reactions: Deleted member 6963 and Deleted member 1476
Curly hair is relatively simple to maintain and can be a major looksmax, as long as you know how to treat it properly and what to avoid. This brief guide will take you through the basic principles of looking after your curls with some tips and recommendations

1. Shampoo and conditioner

Most contain sulphates and silicones which are fine for straight hair, but dehydrate and lock vital moisture out of curls, leaving them dry, frizzy and prone to tangling. Using sulphate and silicone-free products is essential to allow your curls to retain more of their natural oil and absorb beneficial ingredients

2. Styling

Even with suitable shampoo and conditioner, curls need some protection from frizz from a product that contains gelling agents. Gel or mousse should be applied when the hair is wet: when it is dry, the product will create a cast which can be gently scrunched out to leave your curls soft and defined. As a rule, never brush or comb curly hair, wet or dry; there are some exceptions such as a detangling comb or the Denman brush when dripping wet

3. Drying

You will notice that your curls are almost perfectly defined when wet and covered in gel. If you want them to stay that way, you must minimise disruption during the drying process. The best way to do this is to use a hair dryer on a low setting with a diffuser attachment: it gives you the heat you need to dry your hair quickly without the blast of air that blows curls into nothing. Alternatively, you can air dry without a towel; if you must, use a cotton t-shirt instead of a towel to gently soak up the excess water

4. Treatment and repair

Before the above can properly benefit your curls, you might need to repair any heat damage and remove any build-up of silicones and other ingredients. To do this, begin with a 'reset wash', using a shampoo that contains sulphates but NOT silicones to strip your hair. Then, use hair masks once a week to nourish and improve the condition of your hair

5. My routine

- During my evening shower, I shampoo and condition my hair with Umberto Giannini Curly Jelly Wash and Curl Jelly Care, then air dry or blow dry with a diffuser
- In the morning, I soak my hair under the shower and apply Umberto Giannini Curl Jelly, then blow dry with a diffuser
- I use the ghd Air hair dryer and a ghd diffuser

6. Product recommendations

- Cantu ($)
- Shea Moisture ($$)
- Maui Moisture ($$)
- Ouidad ($$$)
- Umberto Giannini (UK) ($$)
- Boots Essentials Curl Creme (UK) ($)
- LA Looks gel (US) ($)
- Eco Styler gel ($)
- Dyson Supersonic hair dryer ($$$)
- ghd Air hair dryer ($$)

7. Tips

- Hanging your head upside down whilst going through your routine can help with volume
- /r/curlyhair is a good resource if you need more techniques, product advice or information about porosity, protein etc.
- Bri'ish users, Eyal from Love Island uses the Boots curl cream I mentioned
- All of the above applies to coils (Afro hair) too, though a more high maintenance routine will likely be required. I am Caucasian with fine 3A curls

8. TL;DR

- No sulphates or silicones
- No brushing, combing or towelling
- Gel or mousse when wet for curl definition
- Air dry or blow dry with a diffuser to minimise frizz

tagging the minecrafters @Mouthbreath @larsanova69 @mamacookoil @portuguesecel @TraumatisedOgre @ArvidGustavsson @looksmaxxer234
what if u have straight and oily hair? i intend to make it wavier, but atm I'm in doubt.. I exfoliate it, use dry shampoo,oil control shampoo, and a volumizing spray.. should I swap them? ( dunno if these products are sulphate and silicone free). I mean, if I don't use them anymore, maybe my wavy hair will get oiled af.. is ur hair oily?
Last but not least: how important is that gel or mousse ( cuz i fear it will make my hair oilier )? Cant only the blow dryer with a diffuser with a proper styling be enough for curl definition?

Last edited:
  • +1
what if u have straight and oily hair? i intend to make it wavier, but atm I'm in doubt.. I exfoliate it, use dry shampoo,oil control shampoo, and a volumizing spray.. should I swap them? ( dunno if these products are sulphate and silicone free). I mean, if I don't use them anymore, maybe my wavy hair will get oiled af.. is ur hair oily?
Last but not least: how important is that gel or mousse ( cuz i fear it will make my hair oilier hair)? Cant only the blow drier with a diffuser with a proper styling be enough for curl definition?
i think there are techniques to add some wave to straight hair but you cant make straight/wavy hair curly. you don't need to worry about sulfates/silicones/diffusing unless your hair is very dry and frizzy. using styling products when wet is needed for definition and protection when dry

• +1
Reactions: Athmozz
ok, thats fair; u recommend any technique to wavy my hair? Idk a lot about it: The only things i know r how to counter oiliness

• +1
Could you provide more info on a reset wash? what shampoo's do you recommend and how long should we do reset washes? just once?

• +1
Shae moisture shampoo is my favorite

• Love it
ok, thats fair; u recommend any technique to wavy my hair? Idk a lot about it: The only things i know r how to counter oiliness
i would have a look on youtube, there are lots of good hair videos. you could use a curling wand i guess
Could you provide more info on a reset wash? what shampoo's do you recommend and how long should we do reset washes? just once?
if you have curly hair and are switching to more suitable products, use it first to get rid of lingering silicones and stuff so your hair can be properly penetrated by the new products. you can use it once a month or whatever works for you if you really need to, followed by a hair mask because it will make your hair dry. a good one is the bumble and bumble sunday shampoo but there are much cheaper ones too like tresemme deep cleansing shampoo
Shae moisture shampoo is my favorite
i like it too it is lush, i found the smoothie a bit heavy on my fine hair but so soft and nourishing