My left clavicle pops and hurts when I bench press

JosephGoebbels

JosephGoebbels

✡‍⃠
For the past 2 weeks, my left clavicle makes a popping sound and hurts slightly when I bench press. Coincidentally, it was around the time I upped the weight as well. Is it going to go away the more I do it or is it something I should be worried about?

Rest until shoulder recovers or quit bench press and do dumbbell press if you lack mobility

• +1
Reactions: Stare, aBetterMii and RoundHouse
Imagine your body making unusual noises and hurting when you put it under intense stressors, and not thinking to let it heal :feelsuhh:

• +1
Reactions: Baldingman1998
When a shoulder gets impinged it can be a while to be able to bench heavy again. Not really sure on the clavicle acting that way.

• +1
Reactions: Baldingman1998
My jaw pops and hurts when I chew. Welcome to the subhuman club.

• +1
Reactions: Deleted member 12270
Probably bad form. Fix your form and it will go away.

• +1
Reactions: Julius
For the past 2 weeks, my left clavicle makes a popping sound and hurts slightly when I bench press. Coincidentally, it was around the time I upped the weight as well. Is it going to go away the more I do it or is it something I should be worried about?
Do no more chest exercises until your shoulders are recovered. Then learn proper form like this:

Also you dont need to bench 95% of your 1RM. 80% 1RM works well for hypertrophy. If you push more than that is difficult to keep good form.

Do no more chest exercises until your shoulders are recovered. Then learn proper form like this:

Also you dont need to bench 95% of your 1RM. 80% 1RM works well for hypertrophy. If you push more than that is difficult to keep good form.

Thanks for the video, pretty good advice although my form is good already. I do chest only once a week so it should have had more than enough time to heal, doesn't it? It only hurts when I push the bar. After I'm done I feel just fine. Should I stop training chest entirely for some time before trying again or just avoid the bench? I fear my chest will lag behind if I stop.

Thanks for the video, pretty good advice although my form is good already. I do chest only once a week so it should have had more than enough time to heal, doesn't it? It only hurts when I push the bar. After I'm done I feel just fine. Should I stop training chest entirely for some time before trying again or just avoid the bench? I fear my chest will lag behind if I stop.
Do you do warm up reps? What % of your max strength do you press?

Do shoulder stretches to speed up healing. Do stretching in general to keep nimbleness and speed up recovery.

If I were in your situation I would avoid the bench until the pain is completely gone. I would not risk this developing into a serious injury. You might just need a break for 2 weeks, but a serious injury could hold you back for months.

If you have dumbbells do dumbbell bench press and see if you feel pain. Some people only feel pain with barbell presses and are fine with dumbbell presses.

Another option is to replace the bench with push-ups for 2 weeks.

Be safe dude.

If its your AC joint you will probably have to do stretching exercises for it to get right in a reasonable amount of time. Just resting that could take a long time.