Palatal expansion

G

gypsyboy

Iron
What is the average price of adult palatal expansion? I have very narrow smile and also only twelve teeth per arch :( Is there also a surgery for it? as far as i read online it only widens you upper jaw so what happens with the lower one? How would I get them to match?

If you're 16 or below you can get a palate expander from an orthondist as part of braces treatment. Wearing it is a bitch though

If you're 16 or below you can get a palate expander from an orthondist as part of braces treatment. Wearing it is a bitch though
tfw 17.
Can I still ask?

Guys, I am 22. Thats why I included "adult".

tfw 17.
Can I still ask?

You need to be eligible for it. Usually they only apply it for braces that need space to move the teeth. If u don't need braces then it's pointless since they'll reject you

• So Sad
Reactions: Einon
It’s possible to expand both upper and lower. But there might be gaps in your teeth if you’re an adult. In kids the teeth grow to fill in the gaps.

It’s possible to expand both upper and lower. But there might be gaps in your teeth if you’re an adult. In kids the teeth grow to fill in the gaps.
Can you give some more info? or give a source to read on it

You need to be eligible for it. Usually they only apply it for braces that need space to move the teeth. If u don't need braces then it's pointless since they'll reject you
Fuck

Can you give some more info? or give a source to read on it
You can expand the upper jaw (maxilla) pretty easily since there's a suture between the left and right halves. Most expanders pull that suture apart.

In kids the incisors grow to cover up the gap because they're still growing. But that doesn't happen in adults so you'll end up with an unaesthetic gap if you expand too much (someone correct me if i'm wrong)

The mandible on the other hand doesn't have a suture like that, but kids' lower jaws will grow into the mid to late teens to accomodate the expanded upper jaw. In adults, the lower jaw doesn't widen anymore so you can't expand very far.

Again, someone correct me if I'm wrong, I'm sure there's some obscure but impractical way to widen the lower jaw.

You can expand the upper jaw (maxilla) pretty easily since there's a suture between the left and right halves. Most expanders pull that suture apart.
View attachment 69931

In kids the incisors grow to cover up the gap because they're still growing. But that doesn't happen in adults so you'll end up with an unaesthetic gap if you expand too much (someone correct me if i'm wrong)

The mandible on the other hand doesn't have a suture like that, but kids' lower jaws will grow into the mid to late teens to accomodate the expanded upper jaw. In adults, the lower jaw doesn't widen anymore so you can't expand very far.

Again, someone correct me if I'm wrong, I'm sure there's some obscure but impractical way to widen the lower jaw.
thanks bonecel, but if i get braces on the lower teeth will it correct the mismatch between upper and lower teeth? obviously the bite after expanding the upper jaw will no longer be correct

thanks bonecel, but if i get braces on the lower teeth will it correct the mismatch between upper and lower teeth? obviously the bite after expanding the upper jaw will no longer be correct
Depends how far. Need a blackpilled orthodontist to assess. In mild cases yes you can tip the lower teeth outward to correct the bite.