Permanent retainers?

LooksJourney

LooksJourney

Disfigured till 6 Figures
I’m 19 should I get my perm retainers off, I don’t want my teeth to go crooked and fucked again. What’s the idea on retainers and facial bone growth.

which teeth they are they attached to? lower teeth are fine but i will get rid of mine when my imw is at ~44mm. not sure of upper teeth though.

I'm 24 and got my perm retainers taken off 2 months ago after 6 years of wearing them. My top teeth are fine but the bottom ones have moved slightly.

Even if you've had them for years you're going to get some movement.

• +1
Reactions: sytyl
I'm 24 and got my perm retainers taken off 2 months ago after 6 years of wearing them. My top teeth are fine but the bottom ones have moved slightly.

Even if you've had them for years you're going to get some movement.
Do you think they hindered any of your facial development?

which teeth they are they attached to? lower teeth are fine but i will get rid of mine when my imw is at ~44mm. not sure of upper teeth though.

Top 4 teeth, bottom 6 teeth. I’ve heard it’s better to keep top 4 on and remove bottom wire all together.

Usually removing retainers after a few years of wearing them doesn't do much (at least from what I saw)
and why perm ones if you can put nightly ones?

Do you think they hindered any of your facial development?

That’s a good question. I haven’t thought about it. Maybe? Probably to a small extent.

I’m getting MSE in a month and there’s no way that could happen without removing the top one.

• +1
Reactions: LooksJourney
That’s a good question. I haven’t thought about it. Maybe? Probably to a small extent.

I’m getting MSE in a month and there’s no way that could happen without removing the top one.
Keep us updated on your MSE experience then and good luck.

• +1
Reactions: MadTwatter
My teeth got fucked after I removed. Thinking of Invisalign

• +1
top teeth still have the permanent retainer behind the teeth, still perfectly straight

broke the permanent retainer on my bottom set of teeth, they've shifted quite a bit but still look straight, will probably need to invisalign to fix it...

keep your permanent retainer and make sure to wear the nightly one even if you wear it just 1-2 times a week, I don't think they will ruin your facial development

Last edited:
would mewing help?

I had my top retainer for 4 years, so from age 15 to 19
And it seems that it basically locked my jaw in place when I was 15 while the upper part of my face grew forward, the lower part (whole maxilla and thus mandible) stayed in the same position
So now I have a browridge which extends the rest of the face which makes my teeth look like they're vertically below my eyes and also giga recessed

When I discovered hard mewing and chewing half a year before I took that shit out nothing happened, it's literally blocking your teeth from expanding and moving the bone
So now in those two months without that shit I've made more progress than in the 6 months before
So please let them remove that shit if you want to improve your bones, with correct swallowing and all that the teeth will stay fine

• +1
Reactions: IhateDentists and LooksJourney
top teeth still have the permanent retainer behind the teeth, still perfectly straight

broke the permanent retainer on my bottom set of teeth, they've shifted quite a bit but still look straight, will probably need to invisalign to fix it...

keep your permanent retainer and make sure to wear the nightly one even if you wear it just 1-2 times a week, I don't think they will ruin your facial development
I never wore my night retainer even once and my teeth haven’t shifted, been nearly 2 years.

• Woah
I never wore my night retainer even once and my teeth haven’t shifted, been nearly 2 years.
same with me, but once my permanent retainer (this is the wire + w.e that plastic shit is at the back of the teeth right?) broke and I never bothered getting it fixed, my lower teeth shifted

do you feel pain if you try to wear your night retainers? if so, your teeth have shifted.

I had my top retainer for 4 years, so from age 15 to 19
And it seems that it basically locked my jaw in place when I was 15 while the upper part of my face grew forward, the lower part (whole maxilla and thus mandible) stayed in the same position
So now I have a browridge which extends the rest of the face which makes my teeth look like they're vertically below my eyes and also giga recessed

When I discovered hard mewing and chewing half a year before I took that shit out nothing happened, it's literally blocking your teeth from expanding and moving the bone
So now in those two months without that shit I've made more progress than in the 6 months before
So please let them remove that shit if you want to improve your bones, with correct swallowing and all that the teeth will stay fine
Legit bro I’ve had braces since like 16 and then retainers when I got my braces off at 17. I feel like that entire time my bones in my face couldn’t develop with puberty so I look like a pre pubescent boy. JFL

• +1
Reactions: NoBonezForMoanz
same with me, but once my permanent retainer (this is the wire + w.e that plastic shit is at the back of the teeth right?) broke and I never bothered getting it fixed, my lower teeth shifted

do you feel pain if you try to wear your night retainers? if so, your teeth have shifted.
Idk where my Night retainers are. Last time I wore them though they did feel tight to wear but I could still get them on.

• +1