Perspective & Focal Length (lookism archive)

A

AdIndependent6291

Bronze
If people want morphs done or their FWHR measured, make sure to take the pics from a distance around 1-2 meters.
Otherwise, due to the type of lens most phone cameras use you will get incorrect FWHR measurements if taken up close, this also makes it more awkward to morph.

Creating the thread so we don't have to keep making countless posts on the subject and so people can be easily linked here.

The iPhone's lens has a (35mm equivalent) focal length of 29mm.

K054ASD.jpeg

H4DJ3cd.jpeg

You can really see the 5-eye-line in the beauty shot above that was taken from a distance with a long lens. The sides of the model's head are evident.

In the wide-angle closeup shot, the '5-eye line' is almost a '3-eye line,' and the side planes of the model's head are no longer visible.

6ykTpsQ.gif

A simple dolly inward. The box has non-parallel wedge-like sides, as does a skull.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here is a great post by The German Dream which he made back in 2014.

TL;DR: We could all be a lot uglier or a lot more handsome than we think we are.

How do you figure out how you really look like without distance distortion?

This is a picture of the same face at the exact same moment recorded with two cameras. The close one was 45cm away and the far one 135cm using this technique:

DLlGGtu.png

pOcXbMb.jpeg

As we can see the picture further away is alot more aesthetic and it was also rated more attractive in the study. I remind you the pictures were taken at the exact same moment with the same lighting, expression etc.

We also all know pictures like that:

U4F1EhL.jpeg

nOxhBUw.jpeg

iTQYvo6.gif

Hx5yG9k.jpeg

yuDqwp3.jpeg

ZLdVyNX.jpeg

Which demonstrate mostly the distortion due to distance vs flattening the face at bigger distances.

How do you know how you really look like? If you are too close the camera might make your face too narrow and the nose too big (because it is proportionally alot closer to the camera now than any other part of the face), if the camera is too far it might give you a wider skull and flatter face.

How do you know how others perceive you?

Do you become worse looking the closer the other person is to you? But I've never experienced someone becoming worse looking when I came closer to them so I don’t know how that would pan out.

What's one really look like?

Original post: https://archive.is/XGkbz
Credit to lookism poster "Neck Brah"
Edited it a bit, and made more readable.

• +1
Reactions: TechnoBoss and NZb6Air
lens distortions are real theory