Please save a youngcel (orthodontics)

D

Doomer

Iron
Check bold for TL;DR

I went to the orthodontist, and basically got my problems officially diagnosed and an official treatment. It's pretty bad but mostly an overbite that's slightly cross and bad crowding because small palate. I have a developing face and stuff too by the way (mid puberty).

Now I don't blindly trust orthodontics and stuff after seeing how it can destroy your face. But they explained stuff well and the treatment isn't the same old bs that pulls your maxilla back a lot. So I THINK that they're good. They said I'd end with a solid jawline afterwards. Here's what was prescribed -

- I think like a year of some appliance that expands the palate (not MSE or some weird stuff with screws)
- Another appliance part that is supposed to explicitly "bring the lower jaw forward", it's not supposed to bring maxilla back
- They showed an animation, interpreting from it the maxilla didn't seem to get messed up and might go down a little
- I have a short face when I put my back teeth together so is it worth?
- There might be rubber bands but you know damn well I'm not wearing those (I don't think it's those types that stick to both rows)
- After that is braces and stuff, but Idk I might try to avoid that stuff
- TL;DR - Palate expansion using teeth (no MSE) + pulling lower jaw forward + braces + MAYBE elastics I'm not wearing obviously

I already basically switched everything (used to have very bad habits like open mouth and some mouthbreathing) and now have good posture, mew 24/7, keep my mouth shut, and nosebreathe only. I'll chew gum daily too. Hopefully that stuff should help since I won't wear elastics no matter what.

So is the treatment good or bad? I need to call back and need to confirm if I want to go through the treatment or not.

TL;DR - Kid in puberty went to orthodontist who figured out a decent treatment and need to decide, already following good habits (mewing and all that) after being kind of a mouthbreather.

Last edited:
  • +1
Reactions: Kofri727
I think you started your treatment right, bc you have to start from the root of the problem. W good luck to you, but still be careful with the orthodontist

• +1
Read all , post this at r/orthotropics and get a high iq response there

• Ugh..
  • +1
Reactions: horsefacin and 97baHater
bump

• +1
Reactions: 97baHater and Doomer
I think you started your treatment right, bc you have to start from the root of the problem. W good luck to you, but still be careful with the orthodontist
Yeah I would've just walked out if they said "elastics to pull your maxilla back and mandible forward." I'll keep mewing and keeping good habits though.

• +1
Read all , post this at r/orthotropics and get a high iq response there
The sub kind of inactive though but I'll post there

• +1
Check bold for TL;DR

I went to the orthodontist, and basically got my problems officially diagnosed and an official treatment. It's pretty bad but mostly an overbite that's slightly cross and bad crowding because small palate. I have a developing face and stuff too by the way (mid puberty).

Now I don't blindly trust orthodontics and stuff after seeing how it can destroy your face. But they explained stuff well and the treatment isn't the same old bs that pulls your maxilla back a lot. So I THINK that they're good. They said I'd end with a solid jawline afterwards. Here's what was prescribed -

- I think like a year of some appliance that expands the palate (not MSE or some weird stuff with screws)
- Another appliance part that is supposed to explicitly "bring the lower jaw forward", it's not supposed to bring maxilla back
- They showed an animation, interpreting from it the maxilla didn't seem to get messed up and might go down a little
- I have a short face when I put my back teeth together so is it worth?
- There might be rubber bands but you know damn well I'm not wearing those (I don't think it's those types that stick to both rows)
- After that is braces and stuff, but Idk I might try to avoid that stuff
- TL;DR - Palate expansion using teeth (no MSE) + pulling lower jaw forward + braces + MAYBE elastics I'm not wearing obviously

I already basically switched everything (used to have very bad habits like open mouth and some mouthbreathing) and now have good posture, mew 24/7, keep my mouth shut, and nosebreathe only. I'll chew gum daily too. Hopefully that stuff should help since I won't wear elastics no matter what.

So is the treatment good or bad? I need to call back and need to confirm if I want to go through the treatment or not.

TL;DR - Kid in puberty went to orthodontist who figured out a decent treatment and need to decide, already following good habits (mewing and all that) after being kind of a mouthbreather.
good treatment plan youngcel go for it.
What appliance is he precisely using for the mandibular advancement ?

good treatment plan youngcel go for it.
What appliance is he precisely using for the mandibular advancement ?
I barely understand. I know it's not elastics-based like those orthodontists use, and it's primary focus is bringing the mandible forward. They showed me an animation and it shows mandibular advancement and then the maxilla doesn't go back but it kind of goes down (can I fix this with mewing?). They put some random silver-colored stuff on 4 molars and use some weird small bands somewhere (not the large ones connecting the two rows though).
EDIT: Found it I think this is the one -
is it good and it won't do something like stunt growth or mess maxilla right?

Last edited:
I barely understand. I know it's not elastics-based like those orthodontists use, and it's primary focus is bringing the mandible forward. They showed me an animation and it shows mandibular advancement and then the maxilla doesn't go back but it kind of goes down (can I fix this with mewing?). They put some random silver-colored stuff on 4 molars and use some weird small bands somewhere (not the large ones connecting the two rows though).
EDIT: Found it I think this is the one -
is it good and it won't do something like stunt growth or mess maxilla right?

Yeah most appliances are similar actually, Forsus, Herbst, MARA they all practically work through the same mechanism. They are fine, and won't retrude your maxilla by any measure. And even if they were to, losing 0.5-1mm maxillary protrusion is worth it to eliminate short face and deep overbite.
Especially in men if you don't have exceptionally protrusive chin to compensate for it, deep overbite makes your face look short and feminine.

Yeah most appliances are similar actually, Forsus, Herbst, MARA they all practically work through the same mechanism. They are fine, and won't retrude your maxilla by any measure. And even if they were to, losing 0.5-1mm maxillary protrusion is worth it to eliminate short face and deep overbite.
Especially in men if you don't have exceptionally protrusive chin to compensate for it, deep overbite makes your face look short and feminine.
By the way, how is the palate expander going to work? Can I keep mewing? I think it's toothborne so it works off molars.

Last edited:
By the way, how is the palate expander going to work? Can I keep mewing? I think it's toothborne so it works off molars.
mewing is nothing but good oral posture and you should do it regardless whether you are going through ortodontic treatment or not.

I can not tell you specifically how the palate expander would work, because you didn't tell me the specific appliance you will be using.

In any case, dont overthink it kid, your treatment plan is good.